Plan or pattern needed for hobby & rocking horse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan or pattern needed for hobby & rocking horse

The local child care center asked me if I could make some Hobby and Rocking horses.
    Does anyone have such pattern or plans? The simpler the better as they will get abused.

Thanks

John

Old Dust

Check your PM's dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dust
      The local child care center asked me if I could make some Hobby and Rocking horses.
      Does anyone have such pattern or plans? The simpler the better as they will get abused.

Thanks

John

Old Dust
      dust. these are such old pictures. but this is what i did. I scabed the constrution sights for 1/2 plywood. I made a drawing of the projects i wonted to do. and cut the plywood out. with a saber saw. then laminated them together. in a 3D affect. the body first. then the legs. then the rocker.(the rocker is 3 pieces thick. for each rocker. then spacers of 2x4s.also a 2x4 turned sidways. for suport. ) the stops on the bottom. are drilled holes for a 1 inch dowl.) for stops. dont' wont the kidlets to go over board. over the top of the head. so to speake.I also put some 1" dowls though the front for the horse and giraff sholder body. for the feet to rest on.. then I painted the best i could. this was all glued together with just old elmers glue. you could make your own pattern. we all have it in are heads right? this would have been way to big for a scroll saw. but thats what i did first.there is some great patterns for rocking horses in wildwoods. but this is what i did a million years ago. hope this helps your friend Evie. the giraf has a tail. a tinker toy. and the child can ride underneeth. sorry the pictuers are very old. have fun
      Attached Files
      Last edited by minowevie; 04-23-2006, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Evie these are so cute!! I just love them. You are talented in so many ways!
        Carrie

Comment

Old dust,

i have thought of different ways to make rocking horses i dont have a drawn out plan, i gave up on it to make some stick poneys for my 2 grandchildren as they were just starting to learn to walk.
          i took a 3/4 x 6 sweetgum board and scrollsawed out a head and used 5/8 dowell and a round ball to finish the floor end. i used my dremel and a 1/2 mini drumb sander to carve in the jaw line eyebrow and mouth showing 2 big chicklet teeth. then from walmarts i bought some pillow frenge. or curtin frengs that looked like horse main and air stapled it to the head and neck. and made a bowtie looking thing out of leather for the ears.

my grand daughter was walking already but my grand son learned to walk pushing a fly swatter across the floor (Dont ask me why a flyswatter) but i made him a yellow ducky with a handle 5/8 dowell same 2"round ball on end. with big feet on the wheels that flopped when he walked and he hasent looked back.. still going.
          his mother handed me the duck with the wheels in the other hand axle broken he was chasing the cat and had a mishap..

let me know if you want to figure some on the rocking horse.. im thinking of making my grandson one of 2x12 or such. head and body shouldnt be much harder than making a wide topped sawhorse on rockers.
          Dremel 1680 & Delta ss250 shopmaster

Comment

Tom You are so talented. made with love is what i read. how nice.

Carrie thanks for the kind words.

I did for get to mention. the girafs belly was made like a wisky barrol. it was fun to make.

Dust. I found this the other day. In the wooden Teddy Bear Collection www.woodenteddybearonline.com Page 62 . spring 2006 Is some realy cute rocking animales. I have always wonted to make the Clyde'N Dale rocking horse's. # wnm6003 its a doubale horse thing. soooooooooo cute. also a DVD is on that same page. and the maker is www.woodenmemories.com they have a how to do DVD and lots of cute patterns. your friend Evie
            Last edited by minowevie; 04-25-2006, 07:33 PM.

Comment

rocking horse pattern

i dont think im so talented, i just get things done.
              the hobbue horse and duck was needed for them kids and localy i couldnt find anything light and sturty enough for them.

i dont get a lot of projects done limited with abilitys, but im always thinking of the things that are needed...

i did look at the website and i love the rocking horses especally the cow and goat... but 5 layers of 2x6 then all that bottom makes it look like it would be really heavy.. ill have to ask them some questions. this rocking horse will be for a 20 pound kid. and looking at the items on the web page i would think the horse would weigh 40 pounds...

thanks for the site addresses...

Comment

The rocking horse in my album was made of 1/2" fiddleback maple.
                http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00/ppuser/3151
                The rockers are pine and the cross members on the rockers are alder.
                The head is 2.5" thick maple.

I cut the whole thing with just a Delta ss250 saw and rounded the edges with a router.
                The plans are in a Readers Digest book available at any library, or any shady photocopier

The reason I mention the horse at all is I made it for a little girl but my son who is 6'6" and at that time weighed 300 lbs, would rock on it just to see if it would hold him, it did with now problems.

I really think materials were the key here, I got the wood for free from a musical instrument maker.
                There are some good sources of maple at reasonable prices. If you plane the wood to 1/2" it is considerably lighter yet still strong enough to take abuse.
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

carl,
                  I like some of my ideas and some of your ideas.
                  as i get cought up with my carvings ill get started on the horse.. only thing i see might be tricky without a pattern is the radus on the runners.

but if they were built last it would be more straight forward to test them.. or make them from pinr till it was worked out as to whar radus they need to be to make it rock balanced.

thanks again

Comment

Here is one I just finished for my nephew (he will be 1 in July). It is a Wooden Memories plan. Sturdy enough for me to ride!

Tim
                    Attached Files
                    "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

I was thinking along with that plan the harness gives a sturdy handhold

but the back seams too narrow,
                      but adding a seat would fix that...
                      i like the way you worked the main and feet is that drape frenge?

Comment

Tim that is pretty cute. love your finish. I can still see the grain of the wood , and it looks real sturdy. bet i could get my big old butt on it. lol well maybe not. Now you guys have me thinking about trying another rocker. I always wonted to do a rocking chair too. I seen a rocking chair with swans on the sides. it had a seat belt. and also had stops on the front of the rockers. so not to fall over foward. Hay I just had a idea. maybe I could make it my first intarsia. mmmmmmmm. intarsia cut swans on both sides. mirrored , of corse.each, glued to a solid back board, with the 2 foot seat with back in the middale. and the rocker could be like a wave. there could be a barr across the front , with tinkert toys , for a small child to playwith. mmmmmmmm boy thanks guys. your friend Evie

Comment

Evie;

That sounds like a $500 sale.

John

Old Dust

Comment

[QUOTE=Old Dust]Evie;

That sounds like a $500 sale.

John

Old Dust[/QUOTE)

Say do you think so Old Dust. this is the picture that i save'd along time ago. got it out of a old magazine. and the intarsia I was thinking is the one on the front page of june 2006 CWWC don't know if that would be a easy one to start with. but what do you think about that.?
                            your friend Evie Woops the first one is in the next post.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by minowevie; 04-28-2006, 08:10 PM.

Comment

lol well the first one did not work here is the one out of the magazine. Evie
                              Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by meflick
                                got mine in the mail today. Thanks.Cute and befitting. Now I need to know how it’s made/what it’s made from. (On everyone gets theirs of course.)...
                                Yesterday, 08:21 PM
                              • Jo Labre
                                Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
                                by Jo Labre
                                At the time I thought "Ah, spit!" (or words like that) and just threw the blade in the garbage. It was the #5 size blade. I suspect it would cost more to have it done than the cost of a new blade. The owners manual is not very helpful, the wording is awkward, having been 'translated' into...
                                Yesterday, 11:13 AM
                              • hotshot
                                by hotshot
                                The brazing process doesn't look too bad. I have seen the welders built into the industrial bandsaws, so out of curiosity, I looked that up and that process is pretty cool to watch also, though trying that on something this small would probably light the whole thing up....
                                Yesterday, 10:14 AM
                              • Rolf
                                by Rolf
                                Jo, I did a bit of research on the web, and there are lots of videos of people silver soldering broken blades. In hindsight I remember I had made a jig eons ago to do just that, when I still had a small Craftsman bench top three wheeler....
                                Yesterday, 09:32 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by Rolf
                                I haven't even decided what to make!
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              Working...
                              X