• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothes Pin Box (S?)

Hi all,

Here is the Clothes pin box I made for SWMBO

Wood: Box is Cedar, Dolphins are 1/4" BB
    Finish: Stain is SAMAN water base (custom colors, sort of aqua for the box and blue for Dolphins, the face picture is pretty accurate) followed by a couple of coats of blond shellac.

I never did dovetails before, I decided to do these on the scrollsaw. I'm rather happy of the result.

The dovetails were left proud at her request, she says it (the box) looks rustic this way.

There are only 8 screws in the whole project: 4 for the hinge and 4 for the metal wall fasteners in the back.

I had to glue 2 boards to get the proper width. The grain on the bottom was selected for the "wave" in it.

The grain line across the left Dolphin matching the "wave" in the box is pure fluke and was noticed after the glue-up

When I presented it to her finished she became all teary eyed: I love the feeling of making her that happy

Last edited by Marcel in Longueuil; 04-19-2006, 12:01 PM.
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Very nice job, Marcel. I bet you scored loads of Brownie points with that project.

The dovetails have come out very successfully. I keep promising myself that I'll try to cut dovetails but I never seem to get round to it. Perhaps I might now, having seen how well yours have come out.

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Très bon mon frère.

You are keeping us all on our toes.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Marc-- I love it !!!!! I can think of a dozen uses for it myself- and it doesn't include clothespins -- It is hitting the high 90's here now -and it is April- gad I hate the thoughts of what summer will be like - if you cool weather --and rain would be nice too-- guys would blow a little cold air down my way I would sure appreciate it ...hump ! clothespins means going outside and I won't leave my cool shop for no darn laundry...lol-- Good job marc--
        Shar

Comment

Holy Cow Marcel. Dove tails. Wow. now thats some scrolling. That looks great. no wonder she loves it. it is so rustic. love the colors. You did a great job on this one too. and you say you have no lkjqpoi. like i could spell that. Dont ask me I dont' know what i said eather. lol. thats great. love the key holes on the back too. to cool. like I could teach you anything. OK did you have a patten for the dove tails?. how did you do that. I need a tool for that. and that takes some doing. Dove tails no way. and your a beginner. sure. Your friend Evie

Comment

Hi Evie,

The dovetail on a scrollsaw idea I got from a book.
            I used the Veritas (Lee Valley) dovetail marker 8:1 to mark the tails and cut those first.
            I took out as much as I could with the scrollsaw and chiseled the rest.

I am lucky that the DeWalt788 can tilt on both sides, that made cutting the tails easier.

For the spacing I made a 'gut' choice. I wanted half pins in the end, and didn't want the pin size to be so symmetrical that they would look 'router' made. So I chose to split the middle tail with a smaller pin, something I thought would look nice and I think I did good.

and you say you have no lkjqpoi -minowevie
            I'm not even going to try to guess what that meant

I truly am a beginner. Maybe a somewhat talented beginner, but a beginner none the less. I started my shop 2 years ago with a Kreg pocket hole kit, a Skil 10" saw, a CTC 9" benchtop press drill and 3X36" + 8" disk sander. I've replaced the saw with a GI 50-220M1, and added many other tools during that year.

I never used a scrollsaw until 2 months ago, but find I have an affinity for it. We'll see what the future brings.

I like woodworking, it takes my mind off from my work as it is completely opposed. I work in IT and it's more cerebral than manual.

I find using my hands to create something concrete satisfies the 'artist' in me. I love the thinking part of the creation, but I also love the handling part.

I read somewhere that it's therapeutic, and believe it: I get in a 'zone' focused on what I'm doing, cutting/calculating/planning/finishing and forget all my worries of the day. Now, that's a hobby!

Regards,
            Your friend Marcel
            http://marleb.com
            DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel in Longueuil
              Hi Evie,

The dovetail on a scrollsaw idea I got from a book.
              I used the Veritas (Lee Valley) dovetail marker 8:1 to mark the tails and cut those first.
              I took out as much as I could with the scrollsaw and chiseled the rest.

I am lucky that the DeWalt788 can tilt on both sides, that made cutting the tails easier.

For the spacing I made a 'gut' choice. I wanted half pins in the end, and didn't want the pin size to be so symmetrical that they would look 'router' made. So I chose to split the middle tail with a smaller pin, something I thought would look nice and I think I did good.

I'm not even going to try to guess what that meant

I truly am a beginner. Maybe a somewhat talented beginner, but a beginner none the less. I started my shop 2 years ago with a Kreg pocket hole kit, a Skil 10" saw, a CTC 9" benchtop press drill and 3X36" + 8" disk sander. I've replaced the saw with a GI 50-220M1, and added many other tools during that year.

I never used a scrollsaw until 2 months ago, but find I have an affinity for it. We'll see what the future brings.

I like woodworking, it takes my mind off from my work as it is completely opposed. I work in IT and it's more cerebral than manual.

I find using my hands to create something concrete satisfies the 'artist' in me. I love the thinking part of the creation, but I also love the handling part.

I read somewhere that it's therapeutic, and believe it: I get in a 'zone' focused on what I'm doing, cutting/calculating/planning/finishing and forget all my worries of the day. Now, that's a hobby!

Regards,
              Your friend Marcel
              no Marcel what you are doing is art. your freind Evie

Comment

Wow Marcel, that is just way too cool. I bet your wife is just thrilled. I just got started in this hobby too, and my husband, who is also in IT, has decided that it gives him a nice outlet to create by doing something totally different. So now we are both in the basement working on projects. I love seeing your pictures, and BTW, congrats on the new "garage" workshop.
                Carrie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X