X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minowevie
    replied
    Originally posted by bearfretworks
    I just finished mine and would post a picture but I am "in between" working digital camera's at the moment..... I will post a picture before mailing it off as we have until August or so.......

I ended up cutting a simple map of Alaska out of some, in my opinion, absolutely drop dead gorgeous lightly spalted silver maple. The idea is a simple pattern to let the wood speak for itself. It is mounted on a piece of walnut, which will be glued to the required plywood.

Evie, I always use 1/8 or 1/4 as a backer board when I cut. Helps keep the fuzzies on the plywood and not my "finished" piece. If you would like, I'd be more than happy to send you the 1/4 ply cutout of Alaska w/ a piece of walnut. That way you could create your own "quilt" from folks you know. Let me know if you are interested.
    NOw that would be nice. I think it would be a big job to send everyone a repleca. but , being so many tiles. wouldn't it be nice to have a drawing. just among areselfs. to make a quilt for areselfs. a trade so to speek. like 4 to six tiles. if we all make some duplicats. we could have a person to trade with. not 4 or six but just from the extra tiles. backs blown out and all. I think that would be a great idea. your so smart. I am gaim. no etabale though. your freind Evie

Leave a comment:

• bearfretworks
    replied
    I just finished mine and would post a picture but I am "in between" working digital camera's at the moment..... I will post a picture before mailing it off as we have until August or so.......

I ended up cutting a simple map of Alaska out of some, in my opinion, absolutely drop dead gorgeous lightly spalted silver maple. The idea is a simple pattern to let the wood speak for itself. It is mounted on a piece of walnut, which will be glued to the required plywood.

Evie, I always use 1/8 or 1/4 as a backer board when I cut. Helps keep the fuzzies on the plywood and not my "finished" piece. If you would like, I'd be more than happy to send you the 1/4 ply cutout of Alaska w/ a piece of walnut. That way you could create your own "quilt" from folks you know. Let me know if you are interested.

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    replied
    Ok here's my tile idea. I took quilting classes last year and it was a basket pattern. I am making my block a quilt block!!! I was discussing this with the other girl that went to the class and she thought I had a great idea!!! Of course, I'm not going to do the square that has 45 pieces to it! That would be a nightmare!! I can see my square in my mind and it actually looks pretty! Now, to transfer it to wood!

Leave a comment:

• minowevie
    replied
    MMMMMMMMMM Well now I am confused. Bob. didn't you say? that we could use Fox Chapale for are patterns. well does that meen out of any of the books they sell. MMMM. Ok these are the ones I am useing. they are out of the book from Patrick Spielman & James Reidle. Who I understand started the whole Fox Capale thing. or even the SSW magazine. (could be roung in this understanding) Just what is meant buy we can use any of Fox Chaple patterns. there is lots of books being sold there. can we use any of the patterns out of any of those books.? And when we buy a pattern. most patterns say , we can sell up to 10 projets. but not to sell the patterns. does this apley.?We are donaiting to a good cause , but it will be sold. And also can we cut or rearange any of those pattens. as long as we don't say they are are pattens. say like the Golden Gaite bredg. can we cut it to fit a 5"x5" block. And add somthing. or do we need copy right stuff from the guys who built it.
    I too do not make my own patterns. And don't even wont too. just like the wonderfull pattern , or block that Gill is making. does she have to get permition from who ever started ball room danceing?
    I don't think any one of any of those folks would mind, going to a good cause. But who knows. so maybe this could be clearafied. (is that a word?)
    just for the record. I DON"T CARR, so sue me. hahaha well maybe not. Your friend Evie

Leave a comment:

• BobD
    replied
    I'm not sure I would do a liscensed image like Mickey or a sports team logo (sorry to disagree Dale)...that area is grey, but you shouldn't have a problem with any other pattern...from a magazine, book, whatever. Your pattern doesn't need to be original!

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Sawdust King
    replied
    The work you are providing is in fact donated. However, the end product is being auctioned off (sold). I suspect that is where the sticky bit might be.

Leave a comment:

• lucky788scroller
    replied
    Originally posted by sheltiecarver
    [ I realized that you couldn't use a pattern that had been published in one of the magazines or a purchased pattern either, unless you had the pattern-maker's permission, and that seems like an awful hassle. So the pattern needs to be original, but I've never made an original pattern, . ]
    Sandy
    Perhaps I missed this rule???????????what is wrong with using a pattern from the magazine, or from a book you purchased, or even a pattern you purchased? You are DONATING the work, NOT selling it, so to me that means if you want to do for example an intarsia mickey mouse there shouldnt be anything preventing you from doing so except your own will or skill. Am I missig something, or not? Dale

Leave a comment:

• Sawdust King
    replied
    Well I was going to do a puzzle but with my piece count being what it is and the cuts necessary to have it work would be a big jump for me. So instead it will be intarsia or inlay (tell me the difference and I'll know). Either way this will be still be a big step as I will be doing the following firsts for me: cutting more pieces for a single project than I have yet (61), needing to finish each piece, and then mount them.

The good news is that I will probably double up on this one and use the second as a Christmas gift.

Leave a comment:

• Forester21
    replied
    OK - Evie, I have fretted over what to do for my tiles. And after seeing the pictures of those already done, I fret some more! I have a couple of ideas, but they are still in my head and not down on paper - I hope they look as well on paper and in wood as they do in my head!
    What I have decided on is to do them as inlay. But since I have only done inlay with 2 different colors of wood, and my designs will call for at least 3 colors, I'm not sure if it will work or not.

On aside note - My neighbor is a quilter and designed a quilt for her guild to each make squares, then put the whole thing together. She said when she saw the individual squares she wasn't sure about the whole idea - but once they were sewn together, it was amazing how well they all looked together! So, I will try and remember this as I am working on my tiles!
    Theresa

Leave a comment:

• Gill
    replied
    Originally posted by harrisg
    Gill, just wanted to mention that it appears he's lost his whole car, not the motor (lol).
    Hmmmm.... another example of Americians and Brits being divided by a common language, methinks. At least you've not pulled me up because I haven't called it an 'auto' .

Gill

PS sorry for taking the thread off topic, Evie. C'mon guys, tell us more about the tiles you're making for the quilt.

Leave a comment:

• harrisg
    replied
    Gill, just wanted to mention that it appears he's lost his whole car, not the motor (lol).

Harris

Leave a comment:

• Gill
    replied
    Hi Carl

If you spent more time watching your car and less time watching the forum, your insurance company would be a lot happier .

Commiserations on losing your motor and congratulations on being the first member to make 1000 posts here .

Gill

Leave a comment:

• CanadianScroller
    replied
    Post 1000

OK Gill I posted this just for you, no other reason. This is number 1000, Now I will have to get the count reset and start again. It is like that hypnotic reaction you get when you watch an odometer rollover!!!!!!!

By the way that is not my odometer, Mine is still in the car that someone stole from my driveway on Monday. I am sure glad I have insurance

PS this shouldnt be in this thread but in the off topic one. I just had to tag onto Gill's last post

Leave a comment:

• Gill
    replied
    Evie, at this rate you'll reach 1000 posts before Carl!

Gill

Leave a comment:

• minowevie
    replied
    WOOPS did I say absent minded. now I am in troubale. Sharon made me do it. HA HA> 2 words,. love ya Sharon. it was me. its my fault. drats. your freind Evie

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X