Glue Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glue Question

I am doing a sign for a local bar. The cutting is made from a kitchen cabinet door. We will be puting white transparent acrylic as a backing and add lighting.
    Since the cabinet door has some finish on it, even on the backside, I need to find a glue to attach the acrylic for backing.

Help Please.

Thank you.

John

Old Dust

It sounds like the sign will be viewed from just one side, and if that is the case, why not just attach the acrylic with some flat head wood screws and washers?
    Just pre drill the holes thru the acrylic.
    Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Would something like liquid nails or a 2 part epoxy work?
      Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Allene's Tacky glue would work as should CA (super-glue).

Kevin
        Kevin
        Scrollsaw Patterns Online
        Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Missing Data

Hi,

You did not mention the weight, nor thickness of the board and type of material of door (melamine, hardwood, ply veneer?) These would all have an effect on my choice.

Personally I would go a combination of adhesive (glue type depending on the material) PLUS the screw and washers: It's a bar, it's public, you want to make sure it stays where you hang it.

Melamine: CA, Epoxy, construction (caulking tube type)
          Hardwood/Ply: epoxy,,Urea (Gorilla type), construction

Regards,
          Marcel
          http://marleb.com
          DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Thanks all. Screws or nails would not work since the wood panel is only 1/8" thich as well as the acrylic.
            Tacky glue does not hold. The one that passed the test was good ol' super glue.

john

Old Dust

Comment

looks like you got it now. but i would have sugjested. epoxy. don't wont the wood to swell. nor the glue to deteriorate. that would make a good sill. and hold every thing together. your freind Evie

Comment

Dont disgaurd the thought of polyurithane glues such as gorrila glue, while gorilla glue dose foam up and have a yellowish discoloration, it is sandable and can be painted or stained, but it has a tack time of 1-4 hours so you got a long time for setup..

other polyurithane adhisives ive used is elmers probond, it dries more clear, with the same attributes.
                you can stick about anything to anything with polyurithane glues but the surface has to be clean,,
                a kitchen cabinet soaks up lots of air born oils and grease in its lifetime. cleaning the door with acetone or something like it might be necessary but may also loosen the finish,,,

another thought
                clear silicone caulking wouldnt look bad if it was exposed in such a place. as long as the application didnt get messy
                Dremel 1680 & Delta ss250 shopmaster

Comment

Thomp,

You made me slap my forehead and go "Duh! Why didn't I think of Silicone"

For some reason, I'm not used to think of the stuff as glue although I've used it as such in the bathroom.

And had a hell of a time to scrape it off later on, so it does stick rather well.

Thanks for the reminder
                  Marcel
                  http://marleb.com
                  DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

marcell,
                    now i get to laugh
                    and you get to rub the knott.

as long as the place you are using the silicone is not greasy or got soap scum it holds tight,,
                    make sure you buy the good stuff look for perminate or ask the paint store
                    as exterior caulking usualy has to be redone every few years as we all know if we go cheap...

Comment

Tom that reminds me. cabnet makers use silicone. insted of metale . now to hold windows or glass pains in cabnet doors . its clean and neat. but I wonder , not knowing, for sure. does it melt outside. ???? will it hold something like a sign together. without melting. really I just don't know. I even silicone my shouws when my solle starts coming off. I know my spelling again. silicone is a wonder product. your friend Evie

Comment

Originally posted by minowevie
                        Tom that reminds me. cabnet makers use silicone. insted of metale . now to hold windows or glass pains in cabnet doors . its clean and neat. but I wonder , not knowing, for sure. does it melt outside. ???? will it hold something like a sign together. without melting. really I just don't know. I even silicone my shouws when my solle starts coming off. I know my spelling again. silicone is a wonder product. your friend Evie
                        I dont know what exactly causes latex and silicone to turn loose crack or srink, maybe its the uv or infered rays from the sun. again it might be just plain old heat, and time

one thing i know for sure if you dont have the surfaces clean of oil and dirt, old paint and such it will not stay...

they use to make a product here called tennis shoe goo..
                        i was mad and snached a dresser drawer apart, opening it, i fixed it with this tennis shoe goo and it hasent turned loose in over 10 years of over stuffing the drawer..
                        back when i was running thats all that kept me on the road as the cheap shoes dont hold up long when your running 7 mile stents 2 times a day unless you use it.

I think kmart still sells it, i dont know where in the heck you could find it other wise,, walmarts stopped selling it here so you would buy shoes not fixes. i think..

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X