piture frame pattern prob. iss.223

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• piture frame pattern prob. iss.223

Does anyone else have a problem with the fretwork frame pattern in the summer 2006 issue? I made a copy of the pattern (main frame outline.)I started to cut it out and noticed that the left side did not match the right. It looked like the pattern had moved while I was scanning it. Especially dead center on the bottom half. an example is a half round shape on the left half is an oblong shape on the right. several of these errors. Anyhow I was going to calibate my scanner but noticed it is on my original!
    The pullout pattern for this project has several mistakes on the one I have and it is really noticable and cannot be used! It appears it is only on this piece of the pattern, but that is the main part that is what everyone would examine. It's a shame since I really liked this one. Do others have this problem?
    I know this one is fretwork, but I also wish it had been done as a line-art pattern. most fretwork picture patterns you can use a spiral blade and it won't show if you go off a line a little. But this is more like a scrolled pattern than a fretwork picture and requires more control. If it had lines in the pattern I personally would be able to control my cuts better (just seems weird to cut out the white portion of the pattern...just my opinion.)
    Ed B.
    btw...also love the lamps pat. in this issue!!!

Pattern Errors

ED...I just checked the pull-out for the picture frame. At first glance I didn't notice anything but on close inspection I did see a few minor glitches. They're not "glaring errors" however, at least on my copy, and can easily be corrected with pen and ink changes on your scanned copy. I think it's still a nice pattern "as is" and when cut the small differences won't be obvious. Even if the pattern was absolutely perfect there are very few of us capable of cutting a perfect project from it. Unless your copy has printing errors that don't appear in mine I'd go ahead and cut it. I think you'll be happy with the results.
    If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Ed; we got that pattern in house, scanned it in, and went from there; I never even noticed the asymetrical sides! We went through and checked the mortis and tenons--we knew that would be very frustrating if those didn't match up, but I never even noticed that part of the pattern.

I will check these things from now on and this won't happen again! I just stare at these patterns for so long that I sometimes miss things like that. With all the problems with measurements that we've had in recent issues, I made it my goal to check and double check ALL the pattern measurements, but I missed this one. This is another thing to add to my checklist!

Bob
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

errors 2

Originally posted by Neal Moore
        They're not "glaring errors" however, at least on my copy, and can easily be corrected with pen and ink changes on your scanned copy
        That's exactly what I did do. corrected a few errors with pen and stencil... but the more you cut, the more you notice the shapes on each side doesn't match. One side will be sharp or end in a point and the other that should match is rounded. You are correct about no one being able to cut it precisely, but that makes the pattern errors even more noticable! My small differences in cuts exaggerate the different shapes on each half so much so, they look nothing alike. I really like the looks of this project, so I may redraw it myself so I can cut one.
        Thanks for the reply.
        Ed B.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
          Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
          by Jim McDonald
          Denny's usual attention to detail is showing on this piece. Have thought of doing some of those puzzles. Maybe when I retire.
          Today, 12:50 PM
        • jim_mex
          Reply to Home remodeling update - 28 August
          by jim_mex
          24 Oct - Home 'make-over completed!!!

Hi again all – time flies when you are busy and Norma and I have certainly been that the past couple of months since we embarked on our home 'total make-over' project but the good news is the work is now complete and we spent the past week moving back
          Today, 12:39 PM
        • scrollerpete
          Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
          by scrollerpete
          You did a fantastic job Denny, I’m sure you will have an happy customer...
          Today, 12:33 PM
        • Sandy Oaks
          Dog Puzzle - Aussie
          by Sandy Oaks
          This is a custom order request. The pattern is by Harvey Byler purchased from WoodCraftByScott.com. I enlarged the pattern by 10%. Cut at home on the EX21 using FD UR #5 blades. The wood is Poplar approximately 7" x 9". Sanded with the Sand Flee and dipped in Shellac diluted 50% with...
          Today, 10:43 AM
        • Rolf
          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
          by Rolf
          Quartz. What are you not certain of?
          I needed to make a couple of custom sized Octagonal replacement windows, I wanted the most precision. I don't remember where I bought it. If I had seen the bi-directional Incra 1000 I probably would have bought it instead. With the 2000 you have to choose...
          Today, 09:08 AM
        Working...
        X