New way to stack wood for cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New way to stack wood for cutting

A Hobby Lobby opened in our neighborhood and while browsing I came across a product called "Glue Dots." From the box."Clue Dots are double-sided adhesive dots for art prjects, ... and woodworking. Glue Dots bond to mos surfaces including paper, plastic, metal, wood, foam, textiles, and more." Since I had a 40% off coupon decided to give them a try. They are flat 1/2 inch clear dots of glue on a liner. Press the dot to the wood and peel off liner and press other piece in place. My wife tried scrollsawing for the first time yesterday (excellant first try--comment: This is harder than it looks) and I made a sandwich of four 1/8 pieces of ply using the glue dots. I think they worked great. Easy to do, no spraying, hot glueing or taping. Mind you this is only the first try so will have a better idea after a few more tries but I like it. It is best to have the dots in a waste area if at all possible as they adhere very strongly. I slid a putty knife between the pieces to ease them apart. The adhesive rolled off like rubber cement. I like to try new things and I would suggest you give them a try.

Like I said I got these at Hobby Lobby but never looked for them at Michael's etc.

EarlinJax (and Joanne)

HI Earlinjax and wify Joanne. I have never tried those. I'll have to give them a try. sounds easy. NO muss no fuss. I was just wondering. how thick are they. if they are papper thin that would be cool. if not. then I might say be carfull of the space inbetween the wood. that could be cause for something differant. I am a Hot glue gale. glue sticks are cheap too. It dose take time to heat the gun up though. but all I do is stack my wood . put some spring clamps around the piece. and glue away. the blade can cut right through it if need be. no space inbetween the wood. even if your wood is warped alittle. you can just face the bow towards each other. and walla its glued down tight. I don't need anything to separait the pieces. and no saw dust can get in. I will have to go look these up. and try some . thanks for the tip. your friend Evie

Comment

the glue dots sounds like they may be worth a try I'll add them to my supply list for the first of the month -but until then I want to ask evie how she removes the hot glue from the finished piece if there is any- I have some left over from my old days that would be nice to use up -- and is it hard to seperate the pieces you have joined..
      Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by SharonW0111
        the glue dots sounds like they may be worth a try I'll add them to my supply list for the first of the month -but until then I want to ask evie how she removes the hot glue from the finished piece if there is any- I have some left over from my old days that would be nice to use up -- and is it hard to seperate the pieces you have joined..
        Sharon
        Sharon. I only put the hot glue on the outside of the wood stack. along the edges. clamping it together. with spring clamps.only long enouph to let the hot glue to dry.this is very fast. then take the clamps off. that holdes everything together.(for ever) when you cut out the inside . (your fretwork. ) the fret work just falls out. no separation needed. the one thing I like about this. other than it holds tight. is if you wont to take it apart. the outside I meen the hot glue just pulls off. you dont have to worry about nails or other tapes in the middale. you can use the wood again. no matter how much you leave on the sides of the wood. also IF you cut through the sides for some reason. the blade can cut right through the hot glue. I could show you a picture. if you would like. your friend Evie. OH PS when you have left over glue. or even when you pull the glue off the sides. if you wont to do that. you can put it . (the left over glue ) into a small sause pan to reuse.over and over. then you can butter the sides of you stack with the left over glue. mmmmmmmm dose this make sense. I could show you in a picture . your friend Evie
        Last edited by minowevie; 04-10-2006, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Yes girlfriend--oddly enough it does make sense to me- I am going to try it on my next project too..
          Sharon

Comment

This is such a cool idea. Thanks Evie!!
            Carrie

Comment

Cool! I'll just have to invade my wife's (Scrapbook Queen of the North) stash.

Comment

Try it you'll like it

Evie-

I have always used hot glue for stack cut and it works very well. Right your are, Evie, about pulling off nice and cleanly altho I don't think I will try the reuse process.

Try it Sharon, I think you will like it. You don't need to use very much. I just spot weld ( if you will ) around the edges.

-Bill
                -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

The glue dots are quite thin and in cutting the stack of plywood there were not any more fuzzys than usual. There was enogh space though to work a thin putty knife between the layers to separate as two of the dots were not in the waste. LIke I said, only tried them once but I sure like the no muss no, fuss. I have used every other method I know of to stack and right now this seems like the easiest. I have used hot glue and liked it, too. But then you have to heat up the gun, deal with all the stringy bits plus the burn on my finger I always seem to get.

EarlinJax

Comment

I've used the dots for an art project with the kids and they worked great. Never thought about using them in the woodshop! thanks
                    Theresa
                    Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

In the same place they should have the repositionable double sided tape that scrap bookers use...I've heard that is great too, and I think it's cheaper in the long run...

Bob
                      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                        New PC keyboard has an error
                        by jim_mex
                        Partly because I have trouble seeing small letters with my one remaining eye and also because my existing wireless keyboard gave up the ghost a couple of days back I went out this morning and bought a new wired keyboard from our local Oice Depot.

I chose one with really big blue illuminated...
                        Today, 03:47 PM
                      • jim_mex
                        Reply to Big week here
                        by jim_mex
                        Hi Jim - A nice story regarding your son biting the bullet. Congrats to all!

Re your upcoming retirement. I wasn't really looking forward to mine but to be honest, apart from being home based due to this darn virus, I've gotten accustomed to getting up in the morning and deciding what I...
                        Today, 03:32 PM
                      • Quartz43
                        Reply to New tools
                        by Quartz43
                        You have found out about retirement. Busy, busy and busy. And you need more tools!
                        Today, 03:29 PM
                      • wjbclocks1
                        Reply to Big week here
                        by wjbclocks1
                        Enjoy life, Congrat....
                        Today, 01:30 PM
                      • Jim McDonald
                        Reply to New tools
                        by Jim McDonald
                        Good luck getting ANY of that garden space!
                        Today, 01:24 PM
                      Working...
                      X