Coyote Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coyote Software

Those of you who are familiar with the "MeonaPumpkin" computer software may be aware already that Carving Technologies has come up with a new software package called "Coyote" that allows the scroll sawyer easily make project patterns for both fretwork and intarsia designs. It is a bit costly ($79.95), but makes photo to pattern conversion so easy that even I can do it. Since someone is always asking for such software, I thought I would mention that I have started using it. For those not familiar with the older software, you might check it out at http://www.meonapumpkin.com.
    Moon
    Old Mooner

Hey mooner, could you post a pic on here of a picture and a pattern? I would be curious to see what others think of it.
    I know the program will be great for intarsia and marquetry. And the interface is great for doing portraits.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

For one reason or another I have neglegted ordering the "Meonapumpkin" program, I'm glad now I waited, this looks like what I've been waiting for!

Bill
      Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Wow, this looks really cool. Will have to show it to "computer-geek" husband tonight.
        Thanks for telling us about it.
        Carrie

Comment

Mooner:
          Thanks from me too for posting this. I have been scrolling for a short time and quite like doing intarsia and am thinking of trying to do scenic portraits. To date I have used purchased patterns, but I see this software opening up a whole new creative adventure for me.

If others begin to use it immediately we anticipate your feedback.

Bob
          Scrolling satisfies the passion for intricate creativity. My saw is an Excalibur EX21.

Comment

Moon,
            Thanks from this scroller outpost also! This looks like something do-able, even though it is more costly than I'd prefer. Good job.
            Sandy

Comment

Don't forget there are much cheaper art packages available on Ebay (such as Paint Shop Pro and Corel Draw) which scrollers have been using for years to create patterns from pictures.

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Gill--
                I also have Paint Shop Pro9. However, both that and Corel Draw, in my opinion, are much more difficult to use (for the average bear like me). There is too much other stuff mucking up these larger programs that I never use. I hate programs that have a manual like that for the space shuttle. Guess I am just lazy. Remember gang, I am not selling this thing! I just found it to be what I have wanted and it is made specifically for hobby crowd. Even shows the results in several different types of wood if you desire. Software is very much like blades and saws. Everyone will eventually use what works for them.
                Moon
                Old Mooner

Comment

Well I just purchased it and finished the download, whew! I'm on dial-up and it took awhile. So I thought I'd check in with ya'll before I busy myself learning this program. But I am impressed with what I've seen of it thus far.
                  I'll let you know more later as I learn more.

Bill
                  Bill

DeWalt 788

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Hi Moon

Yes, you're quite right - those packages are very powerful and can be daunting for the newcomer. If this new one is more intuitive, it'll be a valuable addition to armoury of scrollers who aren't prepared to immerse themselves into apparently complex software. I'm looking forward to hearing about Bill's experiences.

Nevertheless, conventional art packages are very good once you've learned how to use them; they're also cheaper. Since we haven't mentioned PSP or Corel Draw for a while, I thought it might be worth mentioning that alternatives are available.

Gill
                    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Thanks for the tip Moon. I'm going to order it this weekend and let it download over night. I've got meonapumpkin but wasn't quite what I wanted. Again thanks for the tip.
                      kevin
                      When you hit rock bottom the only answer is to look up

Comment

Hey Moon..Is that available in stores like Wally World? I refuse to own a credit card so I can't purchase the thing on line.
                        If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
                          <snip>

Nevertheless, conventional art packages are very good once you've learned how to use them; they're also cheaper. Since we haven't mentioned PSP or Corel Draw for a while, I thought it might be worth mentioning that alternatives are available.

Gill
                          I'm sort of with Gill here, but I see the purpose behind the program that is targeted specifically to doing what we do.

I use PSP and a Wacom tablet. If working on a pattern, I can create a clear layer over a photo, then basically trace over the important lines using the tablet. I can control line width and other factors to do what I want to do.

I guess my distaste for something that does all the work is that it takes out a lot of the artistic value for me. I could get photos cut out of plywood on a laser, but what's the point? I think I'd rather just frame the photo, but it depends on your purpose I guess.

Comment

I have used the Beta version of this program and you do have a great deal of artistic licence.

You can edit to the pixel level. The initial import of a picture does allow you to make a basic stencil, but that is where the fun begins. You can work with layers over the image and create "stencils" or patterns for many details in a picture.
                            Preview your layers with different species of wood and you are half way to making marquetry and intarsia.

You don't have to use a photo either, import any jpeg image, even clipart and you can make a stencil.
                            If you think outside the scrolling box you could make stained glass patterns, colouring books, silk screen stencils, the list is almost endless.
                            You can also export your stencils in several bitmap formats.

Augment your stencils with text and you can make your own plaques.
                            It looks very promising for many home crafts people
                            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

My First Coyote Pattern

Here's my first pattern, it is very rough but then I only spent 15 min. on it I just wanted to see how it baisically worked. I must say I really like it, I too have photoshop and never could produce anything with it but this program is very simple to follow and use. I like the fact that it is geared towards the scroll sawyer and the added feature of the wood samples is alot of fun also ( lots of different wood types) I know with a little time and effort I will be able to produce a much better quality type pattern. And with the options and features this program offers I don't feel there is a loss of artistic licence, I have layer abilities and line control thickness, and a host of other features, it is very user friendly and made for me!

Bill
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ozarkhillbilly; 04-04-2006, 01:16 PM.
                              Bill

DeWalt 788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Linda - thanks for the comments on the welds. It took me an hour or so to get into the swing of MIG wire welding but I really like it in preference to stick welding especially for welding thinner material. I confess to investing in a new angle grinder to help with the cleanup and dressing. I bought...
                                Today, 12:25 AM
                              • keystonecop
                                Bread and Cheese..
                                by keystonecop
                                ‚Äč Scrollsaw Woodworking and crafts Winter 2020 3/4 Cherry. A work in progress. This has been one of the most frustrating and rewarding projects that I have ever done. @Fiona Kingdon is by far one of the great scroll saw artists. Her patterns are not always the type that I like (I like to follow red...
                                Today, 12:08 AM
                              • keystonecop
                                Reply to Recommendations anyone?
                                by keystonecop
                                This is in a 5x5 area.. The total shop is 10x12 ...
                                Today, 12:01 AM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to Turning to something new
                                by jim_mex
                                Wow! That segmented bowl is amazing!

Betty - I have an old Darth Vader helmet somewhere. Will that substitute Bruce's get up? Failing that there always my current biker's helmet Thanks very much for the safety advice and concern. Rest assured that safety is my priority these days....
                                Yesterday, 11:57 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Turning to something new
                                by will8989
                                That is beautiful. Your design?
                                Yesterday, 11:42 PM
                              Working...
                              X