X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prise 2 (Take 2)

Hi,

Here is my second piece.
    Yea, it's for the wife again, or so she claimed: "It's got Dolphins, it's mine!"

Guess I knew that from the start.

Dolphin Clock: I got the pattern on the net (http://www.msnusers.com/AbsolutelyFr...ni%20clock.pdf) I modified and added the base (cut freehand) and kept the "wave" theme in it.

The finish is 2 coats of Tried & True Danish Oil, followed by 3-4 coats of Gloss DEFT Urethane.

I told my wife I could sand/smooth it out more, but she said: "No! it looks hand-crafted now, it won't if you make it perfect (as if I could )"

Hope you enjoy my inexperience, huh, I mean new experience (of course)

Regards,
    Marcel
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Marcel in Longueuil; 04-05-2006, 09:19 AM.
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Marcel that is a very nice piece you did there. and I think your wife is right. the finish looks great just the way it is. seems you whiped that out pretty fast too. good going . your friend Evie

Comment

The designer's name is Sylvia Mendiola, she goes by the nic JrRanger.

Kevin
      Kevin
      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

that is a nice piece. I like it. Where is that pattern available at? Dale
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I love it Marc -- I belong to that group also -- I don't know how I missed that pattern -- you did it proud ,,
          Sharon

Comment

Marcel, that is a great job for only your 2nd.
            Keep cranking out the projects.
            Bill
            Delta P-20

Comment

Originally posted by lucky788scroller
              that is a nice piece. I like it. Where is that pattern available at? Dale
              Dale,
              That one should be in the Pattern Vault in the msn group Absolutely Free Scrollsaw Patterns. Marcel had the link in his message.

Kevin
              Kevin
              Scrollsaw Patterns Online
              Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Thanks Kevin,I havent been in there for ages. I should poke my head in there once in a while. dale
                Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Wonderful work :-)

Charlie,
                  Charlie
                  "Everything Happens for a Reason"
                  Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

for only your second piece it looks excellent. the curve cutting will come with time, i've been at it for 2 years now and still have trouble making a smooth curve.

Originally posted by Marcel in Longueuil
                    Hi,

Here is my second piece.
                    Yea, it's for the wife again, or so she claimed: "It's got Dolphins, it's mine!"

Guess I knew that from the start.

Dolphin Clock: I got the pattern on the net (http://www.msnusers.com/AbsolutelyFr...ni%20clock.pdf) I modified and added the base (cut freehand) and kept the "wave" theme in it.

The finish is 2 coats of Tried & True Danish Oil, followed by 3-4 coats of Gloss DEFT Urethane.

I told my wife I could sand/smooth it out more, but she said: "No! it looks hand-crafted now, it won't if you make it perfect (as if I could )"

Hope you enjoy my inexperience, huh, I mean new experience (of course)

Regards,
                    Marcel

Comment

You are really showing lots of promise with your work Marcel.
                      Soon Scrolling will be on the top of the "Honey do list"
                      Which is a great place for it to be
                      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thank-you all for the encouragements.

I'm starting to see why this is addictive: The simple stuff done by a beginner like me yields immediate results. Instant gratification! (or deception, depending )

It's the finishing that takes the longest so far. I think I'll start using lacquer again: 15 min between coats with no sanding means waiting a lot less longer

My piece for the quilt is almost done, I'll be posting that soon ( If my daughter can bring me back my camera she borrowed for the week ( A boy she met on the net visiting her from France for the week. He's a nice, good looking kid )

Regards,
                        Marcel

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Marcel. looks like we have one more thing in common. I just get in a hurry to get it done at the last. . and slop on the finish. my hubby tells me so. I guess I like to cut. not finish. he says let him do it. think i will. I really hate that part. don't know why. just do. does anyone have a reason why that is. just wont to go on to the next thing. he hates cutting. I hate finishing. is it the sanding, or is it the laquering. ???????? I like the sanding. thats no probleam. is it becouse i hate the laquering. becouse i don't understand it . ??????? its a mistery. the finish is the probley most empotant part. that makes it look like a masterpiece. But I just hate it. ok come back on this one. what do you like to do the most. and do you fallow through. your freind Evie

Comment

I too get frustrated with finishing.

Maybe I should use Finnish Birch
                            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Hi Evie,

I don't like sanding probably because I don't have enough experience and I find I always take too much off, I tend to overdo it, although I am getting better at it.

What I hate the most is waiting for the < fill in with the finish of choice > to dry and to cure. I feel blocked, and my present set-up is not really letting me start something else in the meantime (I'm working on fixing that soon)

What I like the most is seeing the final result of it all coming together, the pride of having created something with my hands, but then I also feel a disapointment because it's over and there is no more anticipating what it will look like: it's there.

So I'm happy to see it, and sad that it's done. Guess that's why I'm the kind of person that's eternally unsatisfied (...but my therapist says I'm making progress )

I have to admit that so far I'm proud of the different things I have done. Now if I can get my act together and build my website, I'll be able to share a little more than the few scrollsaw projects.

Finnish Birch Carl? Sounds like a solution to a-ply

Regards,
                              Marcel
                              Last edited by Marcel in Longueuil; 04-12-2006, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                                Today, 12:59 AM
                              • will8989
                                Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                                Today, 12:46 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                                Today, 12:27 AM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by jim_mex
                                Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                                Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by KarlB
                                Very well done!

Karl
                                Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                              Working...
                              X