Making Wooden Fishing Lures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Wooden Fishing Lures

Hi Y'all, I got the book Making Wooden Fishing Lures by Rich Rousseau and was wondering if anyone has ever made any wooden fishing lures? I am still unable to use my hand so no cutting for me yet. It sure does look like it will be a lot of fun. If anyone has made any, please share some pics and any of the dos and do nots. Also if you have made any that really catch fish, I would be interested in seeing the finish on them. Thanks. Steve
    If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
    My Gallery
    [email protected]

I can't wait to follow this one. I've thought about getting into that for ages. Maybe this thread will be the push I need! I used to make calls and tie bass flies...(even got into making my own "primitive" archery gear for a while). There is just something so satisfying about using gear that you made yourself to take game or fish!

This would be a real neat way to practice compound cutting!
    Friends call me Matt

I'm just a sawdust junkie looking for a fix

My Album
    http://s570.photobucket.com/albums/s...rking%20album/
    Free Patterns by Matt Dickson (hey, that's me!!!)
    http://s570.photobucket.com/albums/s...att%20Dickson/

Comment

Well it will sure get me used to shaping wood and that may be the push that I need to try intarsia also. I hope to come up with some lures to catch musky. There are a lot of musky in the lakes that I fish in central WV but the lures are so darned expensive. Steve
      My Gallery
      [email protected]

Comment

Steve,
        There was an article in Woodcarving Illustrated a few years back with patterns. I can't remember the authors name but would recognize it if I heard it again. As I recall he had caught a Northern Pike on it, but they will bite on anything. I like to make fish decoys that are used in a darkhouse to spear Northerns through the ice. Every year in Perham, Minnesota in April (This year it is the 17th & 18th) they have a big show & competions for realism, swimming abilities, & so forth. They also have many vendors that sell decoys & hunting & fishing collectibles. I have a little business (Hucks Knives & Collectibles) & I plan on having a couple of tables at this years show. Along with knives I also have a few pictures of fish decoys on my website. www.HucksKnives.com

P.S. I do cut out the patterns either on my band saw or scroll saw depending on their size.

Comment

Hey, Randy. I really like those decoys on your website. Very cool! But I was wondering if you could explain the concept of using decoys to a southern boy. How/why would you use a fish decoy? I've never heard of this before and you've definitely pricked my curiosity!
          Friends call me Matt

I'm just a sawdust junkie looking for a fix

My Album
          http://s570.photobucket.com/albums/s...rking%20album/
          Free Patterns by Matt Dickson (hey, that's me!!!)
          http://s570.photobucket.com/albums/s...att%20Dickson/

Comment

Latest edition of Carving Magazine has section on fishing lures. How to, collecting, painting.
            Eric

Liberty Twp (Cincinnati), OH

If today were perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow!

Comment

now I could see the rainbow trout as a lure catching musky. The state record for musky was caught by someone who was trout fishing and the musky get into a feeding frenzy when they stock the trout. Steve
              My Gallery
              [email protected]

Comment

Only a handful of states allow spearing anymore, but spearing fish using a decoy goes back forever & was probably started by the Native Americans trying to obtain food in the winter. They would chop a hole in the ice & then lay down over the hole & cover themselves & the hole with a buffalo blanket so that no light could enter the hole. They would then jig a decoy which was probably carved from bone & when a fish would come into the hole to check out the decoy they would throw a spear which was attatched to a rope & pull the fish in. We use a small darkhouse today which is constructed so no light can get in & cut about a 2' X 3' hole in the ice. The darkhouse is heated & we sit on a chair or bench & jig our wooden decoy which has some lead poured in the body to make it sink & then if our decoy has a wooden tail we will carve it to curve either left or right so that we can get it to swim in a circle & imitate a sick or wounded fish. We also make some with metal tales & then we can bend them to swim either left or right. A line is attatched to the spear & then to an eyehook in the house. Decoys come in all sizes & shapes. Some are designed as frogs, turtles, mice, & whatever you can imagine. I know a fellow who would use a metal shoehorn occasionally. Live sucker minnows or chubs as they are sometimes called are used sometimes & special harnesses are manufactured for their use. All though decoys are made to resemble every kind of fish in the universe, it is generally felt by a majority of the spearfisherman that a red & white decoy works best a majority of the time, probably because it looks like blood. Spearing is a whole lot of fun because it is a lot like hunting & while trying to decoy in a Northern Pike it is fun to watch what goes on under the ice. Usually when the perch scatter there is a Northern in the area. You can usually get bigger fish when spearing verses angling.
                Last edited by Randy Huckeby; 03-09-2010, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                  Reply to Hope everyone had a safe holiday.
                  by will8989
                  Sorry to hear that Scott. Bruce had it but I never did. And I try to isolate from Bruce whenever I can. ūü§™ We were even around our son and grandson right before they were diagnosed and nothing for us. I guess I overdid the shopping Carole. I tried to sign onto our bank tonight and it is ‚Äútemporarily...
                  Yesterday, 11:31 PM
                • Jim McDonald
                  by Jim McDonald
                  My saw is in a severe state of depression due to alleged abandonment. We have been clearing Becky's office since her retirement. She one of the last two original occupants of that new building in 2001, so it has been a lot of trips to the recycling bin with student thesis files, convention papers and...
                  Yesterday, 07:07 PM
                • Redlee
                  Hello all, new here.
                  by Redlee
                  New here and looking for some help and guidance on scroll work and saws.
                  I have a Hegner M25S and have recently made some upgrades and would like to improve the blade clamping. So looking for ideas and help.
                  Thanks
                  Yesterday, 05:54 PM
                • Ralph123
                  Reply to Clock hardware Kits.
                  by Ralph123
                  I didn't get the message. What address did you send it to?
                  Yesterday, 02:05 PM
                • meflick
                  by meflick
                  Whatever therapy works for you - is a good therapy. Glad your touch/retail therapy was beneficial for you Betty.

Scott, I am so sorry to ear that you and your wife have both had to fight through Covid. I hope this means that you are both on your way to healing, if a bit slowly....
                  Yesterday, 12:14 PM
                Working...
                X