No announcement yet.

What saw are you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in 1992 I bought a RBI Hawk 220, around 96 I added a Hawk Ultra 226 as it had the front blade change and variable speed. Still use both of them never had any complants. saw dust
    Dennis

Comment

I started with a Dremel I got at Wal-mart. Wore it out in two years cutting 2X4 toys for the Marines at Christmas. Something like 3000 toys. I really didn't know about anything else to cut so I quit for a few years and the saw just gathered dust. It was not fun to cut anything with. Gave it away to a cousin. Then went to a state fair to check out what else was out there. I knew a little by then. Carried a cup of coffee around and set it on the table to check the vibration and the best was the Hegner. It was delivered a few days later and then I discovered scrolling. That worked great and still use it the most. Found out about top feeding and that from the forums and bought a Delta P-20 for that reason and I use it for that. I like them both and would not want to give up either of them...
      Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
      Jean De La Bruyere...

l
      Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

It has been 13 years on the same Craftsman 16" scroll saw. I would like to get a big yella, but every time I have the money for it, something else needs fixing around the house, or the car needs fixing, or a bill shows up from the college that needs paying, etc. Eventually, I will get one. . . .
        Dragyn (Oh my! Another Mike! )

It's a good thing my head is attached to my ... ... Has anyone seen my head?!?

Comment

I started scrolling about 10yrs ago and I was using a coping saw. I used that thing for a long,long time. I didnt even know there was such a thing as a Scroll Saw. I saw a picture of one in a Home Depot Flyer and went down and bought a Ryobi or a Ridgid, I dont remember what it was. I took that home and the Blade Clamp broke right off the bat. Took it back the same day and upgraded to the DeWalt 788. I cut on that for 5 yrs or so. I did a lot of stuff for this magazine and Steebar Corp. T hen we were burglerized and I lost everything. It took me up til 4 monthes ago to get back in buisness. Ive had to replace every tool I owned. I was watching ebay closely and a guy put a RBI Hawk 220VS on there with a 300 dollar "Buy it Now" option, I jumped all over that and I ended up with an almost brand new saw. My life was empty without a saw.
          Im still buying tools for the second time but Im almost there.

OK now I'll Shut-Up

Gary
          HELP!! Im stuck in Reno and I can see Sparks!

Comment

Hi, I started with a Benchmade or something like that from Kmart. I could break a blade just by staring at it. Next got a Dremel, it was a little better but still had some problems. I finally got a DeWalt & am very happy with it. Scrolling is so much more enjoyable when you don't have to fight the saw.

Comment

Believe it or not my mother (then 65) won a Hegner in a tole painting contest. Before she could learn how to use it, she developed macular degeration and her eye sight deteriorated to the point where she was afraid to use a saw. So, five years ago she called me and said, "Why don't you come and get all these shop tools and do something with them!" So, I got the Hegner and several other tools all at once and I have been hooked on scroll sawing ever since. Now, whenever mom gets a fretwork piece from me and asks, "How did you do that!" The answer is, "It's that saw you gave me."

Comment

I started with a Craftsman 16" that was better used as a cocktail shaker. Vibrated like crazy. I was given an EX-21 as a gift about 9 months ago and love it. No vibration, smooth cutting, top feed and the fact that the table remains stationary and the saw head tilts for bevel cutting are all of the reasons for that.

Jan

Comment

Started with a sears upgraded to a Delta and settled on the Dewalt saw in a years time.
                  Wished I'd bought the Dewalt first.
                  RED.
                  New owner of a Dewalt DW788

Comment

I have a DeWalt. I had a cheapie when I was younger then a craftsman later. Upgraded to the Dewalt and it does fine for me but I have heard a lot of good things about the Excaliber. I guess it all depends on what kind of cutting your doing and what features you prefer. I've seen many posts here that say buy the best you can afford and that seems to be a good rule of thumb. If you can try before you buy thats always a good thing to do.
                    Hank
                    Hank, in Georgia - Dewalt 788 Scroller.

Comment

use a delta 16" and mine dose not suck, it cut's.

Comment

i started with a used hegner single speed and got hooked during a blizzard where i had nothing better to do that cut and watch it snow.

i decided that i would like variable speed because i was breaking fine blade in the hegner.

low and behold my wish came true as i found a used dewalt on craigslist that was like brand new so i adopted it and game it a new home. i love it. easy blade changing and tension adjustment run circles around my hegner.

kendall

Comment

Started with a Makita 16" and finally upgraded to a Dewalt. Love it!
                          "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

Pair of Dewalts here and no complaints except the light which is no big deal. Also have a Ryobi that has been relegated to a door stop, will probably sell it someday but really don't want someone to be discouraged before they really get started .

Don
                            Don

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
                            Benjamin Franklin

At twenty years of age the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment.
                            Benjamin Franklin

A great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges.
                            Benjamin Franklin

www.dogwoodstudiosnh.com

Comment

Got a Hitachi and a 1" belt/disk sander at a bargain price last summer. Still learning about everything. Will see if my work sells over the summer. If it does I will look for a top-feeder. Can do it sometimes but the Hitachi is a bit quirky on that count. But with the right blade and speed, I have not found much it cannot do. I have found some patterns with multiple cuts so tiny that my hand-eye-blade-speed coordination will simply not let me make 1/32"deep right angle turns at 20 to the inch. Likely operator more than saw.

The only reason to upgrade is to be able to top feed the tiny frets in some patterns.
                              Got Moose?

Comment

As noted below I use a Hawk G4. I havn't used anyting else that would make me change.
                                Rolf
                                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X