What saw are you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What saw are you using?

They scrollsaw is by far my favorite toy. I have owned a few.
    One day I had a calling to start woodworking. Went out and bought an el cheapo Sears Craftsman. Used that for a year or better, the upgraded to a Ryobi. Used that one for a couple of years and the upgraded again to the RBI Hawk. That saw really took the finished projects to another level. Probably used that saw for 10 years, friend of mine is still cutting on it.
    I bought an Eclipse about 2 years ago now. GAWD, I love that saw. Earnie is a genious, that saw is ultra smooth.
    Sometimes I wonder just how many hours I have total cutting. Thousands for sure.
    I do believe the Eclipse will be the last one I buy.

I've had the cheaper ones you mentioned, but up graded to a DeWalt, and it does fine for me.Never had the chance to try out the Eclipse though

Jerry
    The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Comment

I enjoy using my Dewalt as well. But I have not had the chance to compare it with a high end saw either.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Started with a 20" VS Delta that needed a special tool to clamp and unclamp a blade. I now have the Delta P-20, a heavy industrial type saw with the Quickset II blade clamps. I can top feed with it. Have used it for 6 years with no problems.
        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Had a Dewalt for years and thought it to be a pretty good saw. It is for the price range. I too upgraded saws after alot of research and went with the Eclipse. I was interested in the Diamond saw but they were too slow to respond to my questions and requests for information about the saw. I tried the Hawk, the Hegner and several ther saws but chose the Eclipse. It is a smooth running saw,uses more of the blade, and is great using spiral or flat blades. Alot in choosing a saw depends on the type of cutting you do. I am of the opinion that all these saws are very good saws. A lot just depends on which fits the budget best. Tks,Rain Man

Comment

Used a sears for one project and then brought a used dewalt at a good price. I like it.. Put it on a playood base with wheels to bring it up to a better height
            Saw Dust John

When you just can't stop-duck tape and paper towel-the best band-aid!

Comment

I had a DeWalt and it cut well but kept breaking down so I now have a Hegner.
              Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
              "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I started with a Craftsman 16" and used it for about 2 years. I have been using a Delta P-20 for the last 3 years and love it. If I ever decide to buy a new saw, I will visit some folks with other saws and see what I like best.
                Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

I started with an RBI 16" In 88 and in 94 I bought RBI 226 they are a great saw, But I've never used any other saw, to compare with it Don

Comment

I have a Dewalt, and love it. I started with a Delta 16" variable speed, it sucked compared to the Dewalt. Someday I'd like to own a Hawk, as soon as I find a dealer in Ontario, that's what I'm buying.
                    Marsha
                    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

I own a Hitachi CW 40, actually this is my second one, the first saw broke down after about eight months, but I was able to get it replaced. Since then I have had no problems.
                      John

I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. James Madison

Comment

Woodsman I started out on a Sears Craftsman 16" variable speed and used it for 8 years until the jaws wore out a little more than three years ago and up-graded to the Big yellow machine Dewalt model 788 20" and it's been a good production saw so far . I loved my craftsman until I used this Dewalt a couple of times and I know now it's the cats meow for sure ............Marshall
                        Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

I've been using a purple aircraft carrier (Excalibur EX-30) for the past 3 years. When I bought it I compared it, the Hawk G4, Hegner and the Eclipse. The lack of top feed on the Eclipse and Hegner eliminated those from contention and at the time I was buying there were a ton of complaints from folks about the blade clamps on the Hawk. The saw still runs like new having seen extensive use. I have zero regrets from my purchase.
                          Kevin
                          Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                          Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I started out on a worn out Delta 2 speed that my father wore out and let me use. Made about 6-8 pieces with it then I bought a reconditioned Dremel 1800..used it the last 2 years and just the other day I got my new Dewalt. I like the Dremel other than it had more vibration right at the speed I liked to cut at..so I always had to go slower or faster, LOL Also the table insert was not level with the table ( I know I can shim it ) and a few other annoying things with the Dremel..Good starter saw though. I just love the Dewalt so far..

Kevin
                            Kevin
                            www.KevsKrafts.com

Comment

Used a 16" Craftsman for about 6 months (that my Dad gave me to suck me in - it worked) and then bought a DeWalt.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X