Pattern removing easy now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pattern removing easy now

Ever since I started scrolling I have had trouble from time to time with the pattern not coming off cleanly. Tried the hair drier trick and solvents but all still left some glue residue , and at times paper. In an effort to prise ithe paper off I would leave behind finger nail scratches.

Then I read through a previous thread but can't find it at the momment and haven't got the time to search it out but one of the senior members wrote about how many seconds they spray the pattern for and how many seconds they leave it to dry off and become tacky before placing it on their wood. One of the sprays he mentioned was 3M Repositional which is the one I like using.

Anyway I decided to put his words into action, though only sraying for about 1 second as I reckon that's heaps, and whooolah, what do you know - my pattern and all subsequent patterns have come off easily. I do believe the key is in letting the spray dry off long enough to become sticky BEFORE placing the pattern on the wood. The lighter sparay did not mean my pattern lifted while working.

Another thing that also helps is only lifting the paper to about a 45 degree angle to the wood as you pull - so you are sort of lifting and pulling at the same time, if that makes sense.
    Cheers. Teresa .

Paint thinner

Little flower-

I use paint thinner, it seems to do quite well. It will not rise the grain of the wood.

Hope this works for you.

-Bill
    -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

I had read about using Blue Painter's tape first. Then spray adhesive your pattern to it, then cover with clear packaging tape. It has worked great!

Tim
      "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

No to tape.

Ah yes the blue painter's tape. Every pattern instruction I seem to read tells one to use this, and or, sellotape. Many posts on this forum have been dedicated to the use of these aids to prevent burning and and /or to assist in the eventual removal of the pattern. In fact this has become quite a talking point amongst our group and must say that none of us have ever found it particulary helpful. We find that what it really does is gum up the blade and slows down the cutting. Now I know that some say that that is just the thing that prevents burning but I don't know anyone here who has a problem with burning either as long as they follow the simple rules of using the right blade for the right thickness and type of wood and cut at an appropriate speed. (I often wonder how some scrollers remove this blue tape from intricate fretwork without breakout.)

So its no sellotape, bluetape, green tape, purple tape or any other colour tape for me and those scrollers I know personally.
        Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

Little Flower
          I agree with you 100 0/0. I sometimes use packing tape on thick wood but I don't need it very often.

Bob
          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Well Teresa, while I can understand your reasoning, I must say that I, personally, have never had a problem with the "blue" painter's tape. It has never "gummed up" my blades, nor has it "slowed down" the cutting. As a matter of fact, it helps hold the piece together when cutting an "advanced" pattern like one of Zaffino's. It also comes off easily and leaves virtually no residue that has to be removed with mineral spirits. On the other hand, I have used the "glue to the wood" method with spray adhesive and successfully removed the pattern using those spirits. My problem with the mineral spirits is that I like to use a hand-held torch to burn off the "fuzzies" on the backside and that is not a good idea if you are using paint remover, etc on the wood to be torched. Most of the methods discussed here work well and some of us find one easier to use than another. Whatever floats your boat.
            Moon
            Old Mooner

Comment

[QUOTE=Old Mooner]Well Teresa, while I can understand your reasoning, I must say that I, personally, have never had a problem with the "blue" painter's tape. It has never "gummed up" my blades, nor has it "slowed down" the cutting. As a matter of fact, it helps hold the piece together when cutting an "advanced" pattern like one of Zaffino's. It also comes off easily and leaves virtually no residue that has to be removed with mineral spirits. On the other hand, I have used the "glue to the wood" method with spray adhesive and successfully removed the pattern using those spirits. My problem with the mineral spirits is that I like to use a hand-held torch to burn off the "fuzzies" on the backside and that is not a good idea if you are using paint remover, etc on the wood to be torched. Most of the methods discussed here work well and some of us find one easier to use than another. Whatever floats your boat.
              Moon[/QUOTE
              Moon... now that is some good advise. I use mineral spirits alot. But. I have never , as Yet , tryed the tourch thing. boy Im so glad you pointed that out , for i am wonting to try one of Zaffino's patterns. I new that mineral spirits was flamabale, but so are the laquers i use. it would have been a big suprize when my masterpiece went up in smoke. huh. whuuuu maybe along with my shop, now that would be a big ouch. one question to ya. is mineral spirits still flamabale, even after it has dryed in the wood, and would a wood burner egnight it. mmmmmmmmmm thanks for you post, your friend Evie

Comment

Confession!

Evie - I guess 'whatever floats your boat' IS a good way to put it.

But I must confess... wait for it... I have used some blue tape recently. BUT, not to cut through! LOL.
                Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

Tereasa. my love. am i missing somthing.just dont get your meaning. thats ok
                  I'll read back. mmmmmmmmmmmmm still don't get it. schoole me ok. your friend Evie

Comment

it refers to old mooners last line, meaning whatever works best for each individual scroller. dale
                    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, Dale.

Also Evie, my 'confession' was a laugh at myself for my statement I wrote in my message in post #4 where I said:

[HTML]So its no sellotape, bluetape, green tape, purple tape or any other colour tape for me and those scrollers I know personally.[/HTML]

Have great day! I'm looking forward to being able to get back on my saw tomorrow after having kids and grandkids visiting for more than a week.
                      Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

oh lol , I got it now. just alittle slow. thanks Dale. your friend Evie:

Comment

Hi folks, I am new here and also to scrolling. I have been working in wood for a number of years(off and on) and just recently tried scrolling. I recently made a name plaque for my wife's friend (baby shower) had some minor difficulty getting the pattern off the finished piece. My wife and I tried for some time to get the paper off with frustrating results. My wife remembered something she read and decided to give it a try, and just a few minutes she had the paper off completely with zero residue and used no chemicals or liquids of any kind....the answer one of these new fangled clothes that do such a great job of cleaning glass and the like I believe they call them Micro fiber cloths. We get them here in Virginia at Walgreen's, four to a box for about ten bucks.when they get dirty you just throw them in the washing machine and they are ready to go again. Just thought I would share this

Tom
                          Tom in Roanoke
                          ...it seems that all my hobbies envolve making dust of wood...

Comment

Tom, I picked up a pack of those at local Wal-Mart. I got the idea from someone on this forum - maybe Sharon. They do work great for cleaning up. Dusting off projects, waxing scroll saw table top. Many uses and reuseable. Better than that sticky stuff that can't be reused.

Paul

Paul S.

Comment

Originally posted by hairfolicle2
                              Hi folks, I am new here and also to scrolling. I have been working in wood for a number of years(off and on) and just recently tried scrolling. I recently made a name plaque for my wife's friend (baby shower) had some minor difficulty getting the pattern off the finished piece. My wife and I tried for some time to get the paper off with frustrating results. My wife remembered something she read and decided to give it a try, and just a few minutes she had the paper off completely with zero residue and used no chemicals or liquids of any kind....the answer one of these new fangled clothes that do such a great job of cleaning glass and the like I believe they call them Micro fiber cloths. We get them here in Virginia at Walgreen's, four to a box for about ten bucks.when they get dirty you just throw them in the washing machine and they are ready to go again. Just thought I would share this

Tom
                              Now let me get this straight. the Micro fiber cloths. take off the papper. all alone. no other chemicales? WOW I just have to try that. I had a probleam getting my pattern off for along time. used mineral spirits. but just didn't leave it on long enouph. now I give it one or two cotes. and wait for a couple of minuts or five hahah. then it lifts off in one piece. BUT becouse I spray the heck out the pattern with glue. I do still get some glue left on the wood. but just somemore mineral spirits. and it comes right off. mmmmm you say the cloths will take it off without all that. I just have to try this. thanks for the tip. your friend Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                                Yesterday, 07:39 AM
                              Working...
                              X