First frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First frame

Given the HIGH cost of having pieces framed, I thought I'd build my own. Curly maple with bubinga frame, total size is 12 1/2 X 12 1/2. Maple finished with Danish oil, frame finished with one coat danish oil, two coast MinWax glass varnish. Comments/critiques, positive or negative, welcome.

‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Looks Beautiful to me!!!! dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Very nice work!

Very nice work!
      I would have put a darker bakground to enhance the work AND the frame evenn more. Backgroung is so similar to the frame that the frame go unnoticed.

My opinion, No prejudice. Keep-up the good work!

Comment

Yeap I agree with boo
        Sharon--
        It is still very pretty tho

Comment

Very nicely done.I have made frames for some of my cuttings, one set were barn board for the wolf drinking water and maple for an eagle cutout.The wolf was black background and the eagle was red. Can`t post pictures as our old computer runs so slow with the digital program installed I read yesterdays messages today
          Smitty
          Dewalt 788

Comment

I like the frame and the finish.
            I will stand and not so much disagree with the others but I can see the merits of using a background and a frame of similar colours.

There are times when subtle can say more than stark.
            I wish I could make frames like that!
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thanks for the comments folks. FWIW, I debated a dark vs red background for quite a while. Then went the subtle route to highlight the ram.

And Carl, if I can make a frame, you can make a frame. The most time consuming part was changing the router bits...... About 45 minutes total, including tablesaw work, router work, sanding, glue-up and finishing. Of course I waited overnight for the glue to dry and didn't count that as "time"!!.......
              ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

It's a good frame . Getting those mitered corners to join can be tricky, so congratulations on getting the accuracy.

Gill
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Very nice

Well done, bearfretworks

Danish oil and MinWax glass varnish? I'm looking for a gloss finish like that. I will defiantly try those. I do make frames and this one looks great. Keep up the good work.

-Bill
                  -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• hotshot
                    Reply to Conclusion of Hydralic Press Story
                    by hotshot
                    I'll go back and try a light emboss, my main intent here was to stand at the other side of the room and watch the pressure gauge from a distance, and see if it would go full force without leaks, so pressing through a 2/4 wasn't really the plan. A pin size leak at 10,000 psi is a very very dangerous...
                    Today, 10:21 PM
                  • Jim McDonald
                    Reply to Conclusion of Hydralic Press Story
                    by Jim McDonald
                    Glad you got repaired and I am intrigued by the embossing idea.
                    Today, 07:27 PM
                  • RJweb
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by RJweb
                    Betty, I see you are working the night shift again, good luck on your next farmers market, RJ...
                    Today, 05:45 PM
                  • hotshot
                    Conclusion of Hydralic Press Story
                    by hotshot
                    So, before I traveled to a larger town to find a place that could help me with my hydraulic hose connection, I took the advice of one of the members here and called around to a few auto-parts stores. The stores I called didn't do that kind of thing, however they directed me to a store here in town that...
                    Today, 05:28 PM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                    by Rolf
                    The auto darkening helmet is a must have in my opinion, especially for the home hobby welders. if you are a pro and do it all the time maybe not.

Couldn't agree more Rolf. The helmet has been a game changer for me.
                    Today, 08:39 AM
                  Working...
                  X