Lathe Turned Platter with Scrollsawed Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe Turned Platter with Scrollsawed Center

I started this 9" platter yesterday afternoon and finished it off this morning except for final finish. At this stage it has only Watco oil on it but will get a few coats of semi gloss lacquer after the oil has cured.
    I had no plan in mind when I started. I was just turning a platter and when I saw that the wood grain was not all that exciting, I decided to dress it up a little.
    Woods are local silver birch and aspen and eastern black walnut.
    Top and bottom pictures.
    W.Y.

http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

SWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTT!!!

That is one of the reasons I just bought a lathe. Well done.
    ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Bowl

Wow!!! I like it a LOT!!! Beautiful design and great craftsmanship on the inlay.
      If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gary beasley
        Reply to Cutting guide for straight cut on a scroolsaw
        by Gary beasley
        Cutting a straight line I get it started then plant my thumb at the side of the piece and use that to stabilize the cutting path, a bit like the pin you would use on a bandsaw when resawing old style.
        Today, 02:34 PM
      • will8989
        Wood supply
        by will8989
        We went to Groff & Groff yesterday. Purple Heart wood is stuck on a boat somewhere. They said imported exotic and hardwoods are stuck on boats. So if you see a wood you need, grab it while you can.
        Today, 09:58 AM
      • will8989
        Reply to My beauties
        by will8989
        He has 4 of the long ones, but we have other sizes that he uses for clamping up his cheese board slicers, another good seller. They go for $35, left over wood from dough board. On late shift yesterday because I took a 2 hour nap around 7. Off to the saw! I have 8 days of shows in 2 weekends! And one...
        Today, 09:49 AM
      • RJweb
        Reply to My beauties
        by RJweb
        The boards and baskets are beautiful, but maybe buy Bruce some more clamps, also I see you are on the night shift again, RJ...
        Today, 09:28 AM
      • will8989
        Reply to My beauties
        by will8989
        What Carole said. The lips are 1 1/2”, holds the board to the counter and keeps the flour from going off the back. After gluing them to the board, he drilled stainless screws through the lip into the board and made plugs to fill the holes. The board is 3/4” thick. Since he only has 4 large Bessy...
        Today, 01:20 AM
      Working...
      X