Veining question for segmentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veining question for segmentation

I'm thinking about doing a segmentation project that would have veining in one of the segments. My question is, do you vein the wood and then paint or do you vein after painting?

Harris

Veining on Segmentation

Harrisg,

When to vein would be a matter of choice. Big help huh? Giggle.

Seriously, if you vein first and paint later the paint should follow the veining -which will give a different effect than painting and then veining. The painting first, veining second will leave you with a slight natural wood colour in the vein. How much will show? Depends on the blade you use, the thicker the kerf (cut) the more natural wood may show. This could add to some nice dimension if it is the look you are going for.

I suggest you take a piece of scrap wood and try both methods, to see what you would like to appear on your finished project.

Let us know how it turns out!

Comment

Harris--
      I agree with Toni. We will waffle together on this subject. When to do (cut) the veining should be based on the effect you are trying to achieve. For example, if you are using veining to denote fur or hair, then you might want the highlights you will get by the unstained portion showing through if you cut the vein after coloring. If you want the veins to just show pattern and/or texture, you might want to dip the piece in color after the veins are cut. Of course, as Toni said, the wider the vein (size of the kerf), the more natural wood will show through. Too bad there isn't a pat answer to "artistic" questions. No matter what you do, no one knows you didn't mean to unless you tell them. My suggestion--cut some veins on a scrap piece both before and after staining to see the result.
      Moon
      Old Mooner

Comment

either way, it will be hard to get paint into the veining lines, unless you thin your paint to a wash. dale
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X