Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Scrolling with questions

Greetings all;

Well, first of all I am fairly new to scrolling and this site, which I found about a week ago. This being my first week in retirement I have been, finally, able to spend an obscene amount of time in the shop. And more specifically in front of my Hegner. Tried puzzles and Fretwork so far. Hooked big time. Granddaughter loves the puzzles. Look forward to finishing my 'Fanasty Horse' Fret project. Still need to get mirrored plexiglass to call it complete.

Been reading this forum religously and gleening a lot of new ideas. Which brings me to ask these questions for the software gurus' out there.
    1) Is there a way to convert .pdf files to tif,wmf, or whatever so that the file can be manipulated, resized, etc.?
    2) I do have PSP7 and older version of CorelDraw. (It would be nice to scan items and be able to work with the drawing like you can with Vectors.) Got Andy's tutorial on PSP and will run through that today. Is there any difference or advantage to upgrading to PSP9?

SSW mag is my bible to scrolling. Have enough patterns to work with, but ideas I have gotten on this forum are leading me to try new things already. (Scanning, enlarging/reducing, creating new patterns, etc.)
    So much to learn - better start slow.

p.s. To Blademan ( believe you're the one) - I took WMYoung's advice and ordered some Pegas' Puzzle blades. Will compare to the FD blades I have now. Like them, cut very well but do stray off course. OK once I got used to it.

Paul S.

Paul S.

There is some software that will open PDFs for manipulation, most of it is relatively expensive for a pauper like me.
    If you get adobes acrobat7 you can do so much with pdfs.
    You can always use the capture tool inside the Adobe reader. It is the camera icon.
    Once you clip the picture to the clipboard, you can open your favorite paint program and make the changes.

There are other programs that will allow you to manipulate the graphics as vector images but like I said before they are out of my price range so I don't have any advice on them.
    Last edited by CanadianScroller; 02-12-2006, 10:30 AM.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Hi Paul.....

As you experiment with puzzle blades, let me put in my plug for cutting jigsaw puzzles freehand. There's no better time to tap into your creativity than when you first start scrolling, before you get locked in to doing everything with a pattern.

Questions? Feel free to email me as many others have at [email protected]

The important thing, though, is to have phun.....

Carter

Comment

Hi Paul

Welcome to the forum .

I have PSP 9 and understand that it's not very different from PSP 7. You should be able to produce satisfactory scrollsaw patterns using either version. However, since I've never used PSP 7, I'm not speaking from experience.

I also understand that CorelDraw is much more geared towards vector drawing than PSP.

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Paul ;
          You can get a ton of help with making new patterns here
          http://groups.msn.com/absolutelyfreescrollsawpatterns
          and here
          http://groups.msn.com/FreeScrollsawPatterns

W.Y.
          http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Thanks for the info. Been practicing portrait design with PSP7. Using Andy's tutorial has really helped. Coming along, with a long way to go. Practice, practice, practice, is the key I guess. But persevere I will.
            And Yes, Carter I will be looking to you for more information/advice as I do more puzzles. I completed one child's puzzle freehand. Large pieces and small puzzle. Simple enough. But the small, intricate, pieces will be quite the challenge I feel. Will let you know.

Paul S

Paul S.

Comment

Paul:

Just a few words about Corel Draw:

For home useage, I got the full version of CorelDraw Graphic Suite v12. Going from a scanned image to a vector graphic file is still time consuming. Lots of problems with the conversion engine. This is common even with Abobe Illustrator, which a few use at my day job. I hope you have better luck with the bit map-to-vector conversion engine.

Did you get the tablet pen input tool? I got one of the Wacom graphite tablets, but I just cannot get my fingers and hand to work with the delicate pen input device; a mouse or a track ball from kensington is more my speed. But as I watch a graphic artist use one of thoes Wacom tablets at my day job, (its all he uses, no mouse for his computer) it is truly impressive how fast he can create an illustration / graphic image.

If you have a very early version of CorelDraw, you can get an upgrade to the latest Suite still for a reasonable amount of money. The suite has a compititor to PSP9. But since PSP is now owned by Corel Corp, you might want to wait until the next release of CorelDraw Graphic Suite, which may contain PSP if Corel drops their own photo editor.

Don't forget to visit Rich Hutcheson's web site http://www.scrollsaws.com/ where Rick has a few tips on using corel draw, kind of mini movies. Good help, provided you are not using dial up internet connections.

Phil
              (U of Wis-Madison class of Way-Back-When...)

Comment

Phil;
                I would like to thank you for that info on Corel Draw in Rick Hutchesons's site. He has a wonderful big site there. A person could spend days in there and never see everything he has to offer. That one about making patterns is one that I had not been in yet. Unfortunately I am still on dial up but there are rumors that high speed might be in the works for my area. If and when it comes I will definitely download all those pages that Rick has to offer there.
                W.Y.
                http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Paul,

With most blades you have to feed off to one side a little bit, to cut straight ahead, but these will feed more straight ahead. It takes a little to adjust to that.
                  Last edited by Blade Man; 02-12-2006, 07:08 PM.
                  Blade Man AKA Ben Fink
                  P├ęgas Scroll Saw Blades

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                    Farmers market "survey"
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                    I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                    For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                    Today, 11:14 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                    Today, 11:00 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                    Today, 09:57 AM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by Rolf
                    So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                    I like the fact...
                    Today, 08:34 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by will8989
                    Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                    Today, 08:17 AM
                  Working...
                  X