What thickness wood for mini clocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What thickness wood for mini clocks?

I'm going to pick up a few 1 7/16" clocks and a forstner bit from Sloan's or Wildwood to incorporate some clocks into my next projects. Do you have to use 3/4" or will 1/4" with a stand work?

Harris

You can use 1/4, but the back of the clock insert may stick out the back of the project, depending on the company you order them from. I think most are 1/4 deep,or 5/16 inch deep. 1/2 inch thick wood would be my choice to use, but it would also depend on the pattern. http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-27__sku-OOOOO.html Check out these clocks as well. Klockit has a huge variety of clock making supplies,and on their site they do a much nicer job then the others of describing the hole requirements for mounting, both diameter, and depth. To answer your question in a simple answer...... No, you dont HAVE to use 3/4 thick wood. dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I have made well over 100 mini clocks and I always used 1/4" wood. The movements were from Wildwood and they were pretty well flush with the back of the wood. I even used 1/4" for the base's . Great way to use up some odds and ends of left over wood from when making larger clocks.
      I generally make a batch of about 25 when I go at it but I am all out of stock again. They sell real good at $25.00 each around here. I stack saw 3 at a time in hardwood or 4 at a time with softer woods.
      I like to get the quantity discounts from Wildwood when ordering those little movements.
      I know some like to use 3/8" or even 1/2" for them but I have never had a problem with just 1/4" wood.
      W.Y.

http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

I have made several mini clocks and they range in thickness from 3/8 to 1/2. Some do sneak under the 3/8 a little and they are not a problem.

Jamie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
          Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
          by NC Scroller
          I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
          Today, 11:24 AM
        • NC Scroller
          Reply to Big week here
          by NC Scroller
          Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
          Today, 11:18 AM
        • jim_mex
          Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
          by jim_mex
          Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
          Today, 09:17 AM
        • jim_mex
          Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
          by jim_mex
          Hi guys - it seems like I am back in business. The offending 'F' key seemed to lack sufficient travel to push down on the main board so I stuck a thin sliver of plastic under it with super glue and that seems to have solved the problem.

The only downside is I now have no excuses for my...
          Today, 08:42 AM
        • Rolf
          Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
          by Rolf
          WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
          Today, 08:20 AM
        Working...
        X