Hawk 220 Blade Tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk 220 Blade Tension

Got a question for the group. I am using a RBI Hawk 220 and cutting 3/4" Oak. I felt I was going slow when feeding the stock into the blade but I noticed that some of my cuts seem to have been cut at an angle, ie,not square shoulders. I watched one of the cut while in process and I noticed the blade was "bowed out" and not cutting a straight up and down stroke.

Any explaination what what I may have been doing wrong? I am using one of the Flying Dutchman # 5 blades.

I appreciate all teh help you could provide.

Thanks

Jim Paskett
    Jim Paskett
    RBI HAWK 220

Mike M should be replying.....

... but, Ill throw in my idea. I think you had a bit to much sideways pressure on the blade, your blade got hot either from being dull, or to fast of a feed rate. Try it and cut a little slower maybe?
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Jim;
      Dale had some good ideas there and just to add to it a little, make sure your blade is real tight and the blade is true 90 degrees to the table.
      And I will repeat what Dale said about no sideways pressure on the blade because that is very important. Feed the blade straight in and take your time on 3/4" hardwood.
      You can do it . . . Just takes a little practice.
      Also, if you put some clear packaging tape on top of the pattern, your blade will last longer and cut better. When the blade gets dull, toss it and start with a new one. You can't do good work with a dull blade.

W.Y.
      http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Jim,

I have a 220 and find that "ballpark" tension is obtained when you feel resistance when the front tension lever is approximately 60 degrees from the horozontal before camming over to the closed position. Minor adjustments can be made for different woods and blades. Most of my cutting is 4x4 mahogany and 6 mil baltic birch stacked 4 high. 5R and 9R blades are used. Good luck.
        AuDust

Comment

I'm not familiar with the RBI, but I have been doing a lot of cutting recently on 3/4" walnut using FD blades. You can cut pretty aggressively with the FD-SR #5 blade. It does an excellent job until it starts to get dull, and then the blade starts to wander.

I've also tried the TC, PSR and Polar #5's from Mike's assortment pack, but they don't work as well for this application.

Dan

Comment

Jim--
            The advice you have received so far is good. I use an RBI 220. The tension lever should be at about the "12" or "12:30" postition on a #5 blade (varies a bit with blades and saws). I cut 3/4" oak (ref the Tiger in my gallery) with an Olson #5 double tooth PGT blade (PGT costs a bit more but worth it). Another thing to try is speed adjustment. I usually use the number 4 or 5 setting (sometimes slower) when sawing oak. You can't rush it when cutting wood that hard and that thick.
            Moon
            Old Mooner

Comment

Blade Tension

Thanks folks, all great suggestions...I am popping in a new blade and slowing down the speed of the saw...and trying to eliminate any sideways pressure.

Thanks again

Jim
              Jim Paskett
              RBI HAWK 220

Comment

Problem Solved

I think I have found out the cause of my problem. Yesterday when I got back to my scroll saw after several weeks being away, I placed a level on the saw table and it seemed "off bubble" a little so I made the necessary adjustment to level the table.

However when I put a small protractor behind the blade, the blade was was square, it was off a couple of degrees...required me to again adjust the table top to ensure the blade was square to the table.

For some unknowen reason I am nat able to "zero out" the scale below the table, for a square blade to table, the scale reads about 1 degree to the right of zero. I attempted to move the scale indicator so that it read zero, but it has been moved as far as it will go...hence I have that 1 degree off zero as noted above.
                Jim Paskett
                RBI HAWK 220

Comment

Jim;
                  Glad to hear you got it working good again.
                  Happy scrolling

Moon;
                  You mentioned using Olson PGT blades. I tried them once and they were not at all to my liking. Wide kerf in the same # range and started burning the wood way too soon.
                  I thought maybe I hade just got some bad ones because that can happen and it was only a dozen so I chucked them out.
                  A year or so later I tried them again from another supplier and they were no different so I sent that dozen back.
                  Then about 6 months ago I discovered the Pegas Modified Geometry Blades for cutting straight in without the wood going off to one side like most blades do. I couldn't believe the difference. I found them to be the best blade I have ever used. They were the first blade in the Pegas line-up that I tried and after finding out the quality of them, I am now using the full line of Pegas blades.
                  You can check them out here.

http://bensscrollsaw.com/blade.html

W.Y.
                  http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

W.Y.--
                    Your experience with PGT blades surprises me. They are one of the few blades that I found that do the job on thicker material. They very seldom break--even with abuse--and I have never had the burning problem you mentioned. They are agressive and they do leave a fairly wide kerf, but not so wide as to hamper me in my projects. I have never tried Pegas blades, but now that you mention them, I might. I have seen them advertised. I think I just like Olson blades. I know that a lot of folks don't, but I use their flat end spirals and their #3 Mach blades all the time with good results. I gues the tool just has to fit the carpenter.
                    Moon
                    Old Mooner

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                      Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                      by cwmagee
                      Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                      Today, 03:36 PM
                    • Sandy Oaks
                      Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                      by Sandy Oaks
                      So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                      Today, 02:56 PM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                      by NC Scroller
                      I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                      Today, 11:24 AM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Big week here
                      by NC Scroller
                      Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                      Today, 11:18 AM
                    • jim_mex
                      Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                      by jim_mex
                      Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                      Today, 09:17 AM
                    Working...
                    X