How to attach felt to portrait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to attach felt to portrait

Do you just use Aleen's to attach felt to the back of a portrait. Should you put something on top while it drying or is there a process to stretch it? I've made a bunch of items and am going to start finishing them soon. I just can't stop scrolling and hate to stop to sand & finish . Help me, I've become attached to my saw and can't get up.
    Harris

Originally posted by harrisg
    Help me, I've become attached to my saw and can't get up.
    Here's my tip: before you sit down to scroll, make sure you haven't placed your supply of Aleen's glue on your seat .

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

And isn't it fun ==== lol. Best addiction I can think of .. but to your question heres my " thing" that i did- I used tacky glue-- worked good but I didn't want to wait for it to dry before I framed my project=so I tried spray adhesive- still okay -- but then I found brown board -- real cheap- like $6 a 4x8 sheet and spray paint. I cut the brown board the size of my work ,,sometimes a little larger even -- spray it the color of choice -sometimes I do mix and brush on but not often.. then I glue -using tacky glue to the back of my project,,, if I have to put it in a frame I cut the project using the glass of the frame as a guide- glue that where the glass would have been - then apply the painted brown board to the frame - then cut the backer board to fit the edges of my frame-- unfortunlly I don't have a miter saw and can't make frames so I buy them at just a dollar for a dollar- whish I could make them tho--
      this works very well - you have a much better looking project that is in a frame- granted some things arent meant to be framed.-- but I have a sheet of brown board I have used for everything from making a large work surface for my table to my saw to making mouse pads to place over a drawer on my desk to lower my mouse. and I still have tons of it left- not to mention i think I have "backed at least 50 portrates this way with it too.

Sharon

Comment

Where do you get the backer board.? Could you explain it a little more. Is it like regular brown corregated single ply cardboard? I have diiiferent colored framing matte board from my days of amature picture framing and I assume that these could be painted and used also. I'll try that tomorrow.

A question about poster board that has been referred to in previous posts . Walmart, Michaels, The Dollar Store and other places carry posterboard but the product they carry is little more than a heavy paper. Is that what has actually been meant as posterboard.

Sorry for all the questions about this but I'm trying to understand what's being used.

Harris

Comment

Don't worry about asking any question - I love to help where I can- I buy the brown board from Home Depot-- I found it there when I was buying my Baltic Birch Ply and thought it was cheap enough to give it a try and I love using it. +I wish I knew the prober name for it but I have already used the piece with the printing label on it- but it looks like a light brown- kind of like a 1/8 inch or so thick brown smoth on one side -rough on the other- has to be cut with a saw - but it does look like it is just sawdust glued together- and it probably is --- it looks like what they make peg board out of without the holes. it is very sturdy and great for a lot of things. now on the poster board it is just that --what we use to make posters out of when in school - I use it for support on my 1/4 in portrates that would tear out otherwise. I spary adheasive and use it when I use a spiral blade. It does a ood job for preventing split outs on the underside of my project. I only use it when I use spirals blades. some asked if it dulled my blades and I haven't seen that it does but even if it did it would be worth a extra blade not to have a piece break off that was important to the project- when the cuttings get to make the posterboard ragged and loose i keep it on with scotch tape- this help to keep the loose poster b from catching on the opening that is in the saw too.. hope this helped and feel free to ask anything-- that is how we learn and like i said - we all love to help
          Sharon

Only dumb question is the one you are afraid to ask

Comment

Sharon:

Do you mean Masonite? Also Known as Hardboard?

{Masonite is a Registered Trademark of a specific manufacture. Hardboard is the general useage product name. General public interchanges the names at will.}

Phil

Comment

It very well could be hardboard- seems it did have a m in the name- but that was so long ago that I bought it. I can't rember 15 minutes ago much less 6 months -lol
              Sharon

Comment

I also think the "brown board" you refer to is "Masonite." It is available at most Home Depot and Lowe's stores nationwide (US) and is about 1/4" thick. However, the original question was about "attaching" felt to the back of a portriat. Gary Browning says that he always uses felt because he likes the look. I agree that it looks good, but you don't attach it to the back of the portrait, you attach it to the "front" of the backer board. I stretch mine around the backer and glue it on the back of the backer (say that five times fast) with hot glue. That way, if you should ever desire a change in background or framing, the felt isn't attached permanently to the work. Everyone does it differently.
                Moon
                Old Mooner

Comment

Harrisg, I agree with Old Mooner, you have to attach the felt to the backer such as poster board, mat board or I use 1/8" luan plywood. You can attach it with double sided tape or spray adhesive. Mick.
                  Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
                    Here's my tip: before you sit down to scroll, make sure you haven't placed your supply of Aleen's glue on your seat .

Gill
                    I was just wondering Gill has that happened to you, and if it has how did you get lose

Bob
                    Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Bob, I'm the epitome of cleanliness and tidiness when it comes to my workshop. I've even trained the spiders to wipe all eight of their feet on the doormat before entering my abode. Never would I make such a fundamental mistake as sitting on some glue; how could the possibility even cross your mind?

I'm sorry I didn't have anything more constructive to add to this thread, but I've never used felt as a backer. I've used painted plywood and colored paper, though.

Gill

PS This post is not 100% truthful. I'll leave it to the discerning to judge which elements are fictitious.
                      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Ah, Gill,
                        So you have used felt as a backer!
                        Sandy

Comment

hummm- maybe it s the sitting on the glue part-- Gill just tell folks you wipe your fingers on your pants--lol

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                            Farmers market "survey"
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                            I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                            For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                            Today, 11:14 AM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to Farmers market
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                            Today, 11:00 AM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                            Today, 09:57 AM
                          • Rolf
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by Rolf
                            So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                            I like the fact...
                            Today, 08:34 AM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Farmers market
                            by will8989
                            Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                            Today, 08:17 AM
                          Working...
                          X