portable belt sander vs tabletop vs bow sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portable belt sander vs tabletop vs bow sander

I have a craftsmen 3x21 portable belt sander. I'd like a table top belt sander but if I buy anymore equipment I'd better find another room to sleep in. Has anyone in scroll saw land made some kind of holder to make a portable into a table top. I don't see it as that difficult but I wanted to see what the pitfalls might be. You kind people have always kept me headed in the right direction.

Also, I saw a post about a bow saw on another forum. It looked pretty neat and seemed like it might be quite useful for intarsia, especially for rounding the edges. I was thinking that it could be made from plywood. Any feedback on using the bow saw? For those who haven't seen one, it looks like a small archery bow but instead of string, you use a strip from belt sand paper

Harris

I just drew up a simple bowsander. Hope some of you find it useful.

After reviewing the design the leverage would be better if the pivot point was higher up on the bow. but the concept should work out fine
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CanadianScroller; 01-16-2006, 09:19 AM. Reason: oversight
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I have a craft vise attached to my table and I just turn my belt sander upside down and clamp it in. Works for me.
      Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
      Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Comment

harrisg,

I use my belt sander often for unorthodox means to and end i use a workmate the bench type vice like table top and clamp the belt sander in it. to shape things that are too small to handle the sander over,
        it should work until you can come up with better.

i have seen several different patterns check this one out.
        http://www.intarsiadesigns.com/bowsander/bowsander.html
        it was made of wood shaped like coping saw, and used strips of 3x21 beltsander belt, sanding belt sets on pegs and tention is held by thumb
        do a google search on "bo sander" or "bow sander". you will find several more.

i bought the 1/2" bandfile attachment for a 4-1/2" side grinder from harbor freight, you got to be careful with that thing it will eat you....

they sell hammocks too.. hahaha
        Last edited by Thomp; 01-17-2006, 12:52 AM.
        Dremel 1680 & Delta ss250 shopmaster

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Hans
          Reply to Big week here
          by Chuck Hans
          Congrats on all accounts,
          I have been retired for 21 years and have no regrets. Hope you and your family take full advantage of the well earned time
          Today, 08:51 PM
        • cwmagee
          Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
          by cwmagee
          Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
          Today, 03:36 PM
        • Sandy Oaks
          Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
          by Sandy Oaks
          So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
          Today, 02:56 PM
        • NC Scroller
          Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
          by NC Scroller
          I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
          Today, 11:24 AM
        • NC Scroller
          Reply to Big week here
          by NC Scroller
          Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
          Today, 11:18 AM
        Working...
        X