Advanced Sawer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Sawer

Can anyone please explain to me what is required to be classified as an advanced sawer. What do you think the requirements are for this title or classification. Quality of work, length of experience, difficulty of project. All three or any combination. Let me know what you think. I have seen some patterns that says "for the advanced sawer". Is this just a way for an individual to judge his or her confidence in their own ability. Just because one hasn't done a difficult project doesn't mean they are not capable. I think we are all advanced sawer's, we just haven't put forth our best ability yet. What do you think.

James (Huntsville, TX.)

I asked a similar question last year. I think, and this is just my opinion, even though all others are wrong . An advanced scroller is one who can muddle through a pattern, get a respectable job out and not have too many people realize the mistakes he made.

Perhaps it is just a self realization that you can tackle the job in front of you.

Know your saw, learn from your mistakes, choose appropriate materials for a project.

I was going to ask if your edges are sharp and your lines are straight and circles round, but these are not the measure of an advanced scroller. These are just the measures of your ability to follow a pattern. Everyone has an off day where the circle isn't quite true.

It is not measured by how small you can cut, or by how intricate your fretwork is. It is not a measure of how many projects you have done.
    I really think it is a frame of mind.
    your last line sums it up

JamesHuntsville... I think we are all advanced sawer's, we just haven't put forth our best ability yet.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Well I'll give my two cents and the rest will too--- But I think it is the ability you have on the tough more intericate task -- some make do the hard stuff but the quality isn't there - without quality then it is just a messed up piece of wood with a lot of funny holes in it.. But my opion is cheap -mostly its free-- Hope you try to do ANYTHING you want and as long as you do your best then you did the test.. and rember we all learn from our mistakes so if you make some -and you will- just pick your self up and start over.
      Sharon

Comment

The requirements and the ability to meet or exceed those requirements are different for everyone. I'm sure I could do a "Dome Clock", but I don't have the time to attempt it right now (it's a few more years until retirement). My girlfriend did a Guardian Angel from Wildwood Designs as her second project, her first was a small crucifix.
        http://www.wildwooddesigns.com/prodi...em=81&dept=134
        She actually made two of them, (not stack cut) without my help. Personally, I enjoy doing small items, especially ornaments, that I can have ready to apply the finish in less than an hour.
        I'm sure there are people who don't think they could do the puzzles that Carterj does, until they try it. There are also people who actually can't do them.
        I've never done any inlay work or intarsia, only because I don't have an interest in doing it.
        I have to agree with you James, we are advanced (whether we admit it or not), and only need to take the next step.
        Last edited by Woodbutcher68; 01-15-2006, 05:30 AM.
        Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

An advanced sawyer is someone who cuts patterns that are marked "for the advanced sawyer".

The difference between being an advanced sawyer and not being one is primarily a matter of confidence and patience. Scrolling isn't hard, it's mostly tedious. You need to know a few tricks about making sharp corners and following curves, and then you have to buckle down and grind through the hundreds of randomly shaped inside cuts that make up an "advanced" pattern.

Comment

I think what Steve says pretty well covers it.
            One more thing is to learn to cover up any mistakes you make and you will make them.

Bob
            Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

could it be a pattern makers guide to the public, like parential guide for movies

novice = for anybody 30 minuets
              medium = 1-1/2 hours
              advanced = i throwed you a screwballl = gonna take you some extra materials and several months hard work and one box of bandaids..
              Dremel 1680 & Delta ss250 shopmaster

Comment

Generally, I would think that an "advanced sawyer" is one who has been sawing long enough that they really don't worry about patterns being marked for "advanced," "intermediate," and "novice." They just know they can do pretty much anything within the capabilities of their saw. I agree with the comment about being able, but not desiring, to cut some stuff. We all select what interests us. I would no more sit down and cut out a big clock than I would eat a bug. Some of you wouldn't do segmentation. That doesn't mean you couldn't. Ever notice how people hate being labeled?
                Moon
                Old Mooner

Comment

This thread makes me laugh just the other day I mentioned to a friend of mine that I was going to start cutting the Intarsia piece and I had gotten the book. He looked at me with a funny look and said "isn't that a little advanced". Maybe I have put the cart before the horse but it seems to be what interest me at this time. I'm about as good at it as anything else Ive tried so far. To me it will just take time and practice just like any other sawing technique or am I just fooling myself........?
                  Teach your Kids to hunt and you wont have to hunt your kids

Comment

Shhh; this is a secret...

The "sawyer" part of segmentation and intarsia is often easier than other scrolling. Close to the line is usually good enough and errors don't stand out like they do if a hole is cut mishapen or the wrong size. I think delicate fretwork is much harder. Now the "non sawyer" part of segmetnation and intarsia is another matter; individually shaping the pieces so they "flow" together and/or coloring them takes patience and practice. The horsehead and the puppy in my gallery are both beginner level. I really enjoy the technique used on the puppy. It's from the Speilman/Shirts (mostly Shirts technique, I think) book "Scroll Saw Art".
                    Last edited by arbarnhart; 01-16-2006, 07:21 PM.
                    -Andy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X