Stack cutting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stack cutting question

I haven't stack cut before but I understand that you use brads at the outside edges to hold the pieces together. Currently, before cutting single pieces I always cut my wood to the final size. When stack cutting, do you have to cut to the final size after scrolling? Couldn't this be a problem if an inside cut is near where you're cutting your piece to a final size? Am I missing something?

Harris

The main thing with stack cutting is keeping all the pieces together and not letting them slip.
    Brads in the "off cut" areas is one method.
    If you prefer to cut to finished size first you can wrap the edges with masking tape.
    You can also use a hot glue gun, making the glue go up and down on the edges keeping them together.
    Yo can also spray temporary adhesive to both sides of a piece of paper and stack the wood like hamburger patties.
    The wood will separate from the paper once you have finished cutting.
    You can also cover the entire stack with clear packing tape.

Lots of choices, depending on what you have on hand.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

That makes sense. I must have had a senior minute cause I should have know that. Now can anyone remind me of my name please?

Comment

Now can anyone remind me of my name please?
        Isn't that harold or harriet or harland or harmond or let me think . . . Oh . .I remember now . . . . It's Harris
        I do a lot of stack sawing. Matter of fact mostly stack sawing. Don't know what I would do without my trusty brad nailer. Stack em up , bang bang bang with the brad nailer , drill holes and start sawing.
        I am in the process of stack sawing two more Worthington Hall clocks on a commission job. . Some pieces only 2 deep and other pieces 4 deep of 1/4" wood.
        W.Y.
        http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

stack cutting

I have had good luck using double sided scotch tape. Tried carpet tape but it was too difficult to remove.

Comment

Mines Hot Glue

Harris-
            I use the hot glue method and have no problems with that. I do cut the finished outline out after the fretwork. It works well. If you want to do the final outline cut first and hot glue them together first, then the hot glue comes off easily.

-Bill
            -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

I normally use a dot of PVA adhesive. However, I think the hot glue approach is more practical. It's just that I've usually got PVA to hand, and it's quicker than heating up the glue gun!

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Depends on the project, I've used the hot glue method mostly for small projects that will have many layers... like ornaments, but if it is a bigger project and I'm only doing 2 or 3 layers, I have found that re-gripping tape (for golfclubs) works fantastic! Not to loose... yet just the right power to hold on... and is easy to remove from the piece when done. (if it gets into the piece.)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                  Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                  by will8989
                  The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                  Today, 11:10 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Farmers market
                  by will8989
                  Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                  Today, 10:31 PM
                • tgiro01
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by tgiro01
                  Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                  Today, 09:38 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                  Today, 06:47 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Plastic puzzle
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                  Today, 06:38 PM
                Working...
                X