No announcement yet.

Questions about Aleen's and Tite-bond

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Questions about Aleen's and Tite-bond

    I've read that many of you use Aleen's Tacky Glue and Tite-Bond. Could you give me an idea when / where you use each one. Also, there are different types of Tite-Bond. Which one do you use? I've only found one type of Aleen's. Is that correct?

    So many questions, so little time. Happy New Year.


  • #2
    Don't know about Aleen's, but I can tell you about titebond. There are three main titebond glues and a raft of others specialized ones.

    Original Titebond has a relatively fast tack, meaning you can rub two boards together and it will soon stop being slippery. This is the one I use.

    Titebond II is water-resistant and has a longer "open time", meaning you spread the glue and have more time to get things lined up before it becomes stiff and hard to move.

    The "open time" is different from the setting time; you can still pull things apart after the open time is over. Setting time for all three of these is about a half hour. After setting time is up, you can't pull it apart without damaging the wood. Full strength of the bond takes longer, probably 24 hours.

    Titebond III is "waterproof", though it isn't recommended for submerged joints below the waterline. It has an even longer open time.

    Titebond specialty glues include "Extended" which has a very long open time, which I don't have at the tip of my fingers. There is at least one titebond that is colored with dark pigment for less obvious gluelines in darker woods. After that there's titebond liquid hide glue, contact cement and even a high-tech hot-melt glue gun system they call Hi Purformer. Why these people can't spell is beyond me. I guess it starts with "Tite"

    I had a Freudian slip one time at the Woodcraft store, when I recommended "Titeblonde" to somebody. The owner has never let me forget it.


    • #3

      Steve's answer covers Titebond, and I will refrain from LOL about his slip of the tongue.

      Ah-em, back to your question:

      Titebond is a woodworker's glue for gluing wood to wood. Decoupage glue is for gluing various stuff to a backing. Like plastic, paper, flowers, etc to wood.

      There are two maker's of decoupage glue that I am aware of: Plaid, maker of Mod Podge; and Duncan who owns Aleene, maker of Tacky Glue.

      Decoupage glue is used when attaching paper, like a Photo or graphic art, to wood; like you would do if you wanted to make a puzzle. Decoupage glue has no harsh chemcials in the solvent, and thus it should not be reactive with the inks and paper of your photo or graphic art.

      Spray adhesives like 3M super-77, sometimes are hard to apply a uniform consistent product onto the paper and wood. Sometimes I get spots of too much and sometimes spots of too little. Tacky glue is brushed on, and you can see the uniform application and adjust as needed.

      And yes, a water based, no harsh chemicals, contact cement would be ideal for a strong bond between graphic art and the wood (as Steve has pointed out in another thread.) However, any product that recommends rubber gloves, disposable brushes, and has a poison control hotline phone number may fall into the category of "Just How non-reactive will this be to my graphic?"

      Plaid web site:
      Duncan web site:
      Both make many more craft glues for special purpose. Look at Arleene's product 'Laminat-It' product.



      • #4
        Aileens (I never can spell it right) is a decent glue for most fretwork applications. Until recently, all of Dirk Boelmans clocks were glued using it.He has since changed to a diffrent brand,and I asked him about that, and he said he had a disaster with one of his clocks while setting up his display. Seemed the clock was dropped,and came apart. You got to remember, he hauls these ginormous clocks all across the country,many times for his displays, so if after handling them so many times, and having one disaster ,its really a good glue.I doubt anyone here intends on gluing up anything they plan on bouncing across the country packed in a trailer,and set out for a couple days at a scrollsaw picnic,handled, and back in the trailer, as many times as Dirk does. I use it on the bigger clocks ,with no trouble. There are many varieties of the tacky glue, the one i use most it the aileens Quick Dry Tacky glue, which comes in the silver bottle, at about $1 a bottle. Its just a faster drying version then the regular stuff in the gold bottle,which works fine to. The latest clocks I built, I used elmers woodglue,applied from their neat pe tip type applicator. What a handy glue bottle. I did empty it out, and refilled the glue pen with titebond II ,so dont tell elmer, and everything will be ok.So far its held up great,if I have any problems later on, I will mention them.As for why I tried the glue pen on these last clocks, simply because one of my 4-H woodworking kids gave me one to try,and so I put it to use,and am so far pleased with the results.
        Dale w/ yella saws


        • #5

          You got me there.

          Until your post, I had not heard of anyone using a decoupage adhesive for wood-to-wood glue. I am sure Dirk, with his Scroll Saw background, knows what he is doing and has a rational reason.

          So, thank-you for letting me learn something today.



          • #6
            I use Aileen's Tacky Glue to adhere pictures to wood for jigsaw puzzles. I trowel it thin and even and press down slowly from one corner to the opposite to ensure a good fit without bubbles.



            • #7
              Phil,or anyone for that matter. Take a couple scrap pieces and glue them together with a variety of glues, and then give em the business. I think you will find the Aleene'sTacky glue will surprise you, its much stronger then I originally thought! On the bottle it calls it "all-purpose" glue.It doesnt really say to much about the stuff itself,possibly because the bottle is printed in 157 diffrent languages (I might have exaggerated that number),but dont see the word decoupage on the bottle. Thats such a big word I will have to go to dictionary dotcom to find out what it means!Im glad I am of some use on here, Thank YOU phil.
              Dale w/ yella saws


              • #8
                Picture is worth a thousand words:

                Go to
                click on word Images above search window
                enter decoupage in search window
                click on button Search Images
                get something like 93,000 Images of what decoupage is.



                • #9
                  Originally posted by harrisg
                  I've read that many of you use Aleen's Tacky Glue and Tite-Bond. Could you give me an idea when / where you use each one. Also, there are different types of Tite-Bond. Which one do you use? I've only found one type of Aleen's. Is that correct?

                  So many questions, so little time. Happy New Year.


                  When doing (3D' projects) compound puzzles or 3d charter blanks i thinly spread (Arleens tack it over and over) the little white bottle, on the back side of the pattern, let it dry to where its totaly tacky. then align and attach the pattern at the center (being compound cuts are 2 sided patterns,) the pattern can be repositioned if your careful.
                  but if you cover wood and pattern both its about as periminet as it gets.

                  i use it like apray adhesives but not as messy with overspray and smell.
                  Dremel 1680 & Delta ss250 shopmaster


                  Unconfigured Ad Widget


                  Latest Topics