Photos of work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of work

i'm having trouble taking nice photos of my completed work for advertising. what does everyone else do to take nice, professional looking photos? thanks.

Not sure if you are talking for a catalog or just for showing on the internet. But in any case I am by no means a pro or do I take great pictures. I do know though the 2 main things to concern about is Lighting and the background. You do not want to have clutter in the background or a backdrop that is too busy that it will detract from the object you are taking a picture of. The lighting part is hard so this is why I use the best lighting designer I can find and that happens to be Mother Nature. I like to shoot my projects outdoors but out of the sun light. Now I have taken indoor pictures but have to set up lights to shine from 4 different angles to hide the shadows and using soft colored lamps helps. There are some people that are more professional and will be able to get specific. By the way a good digital camera helps.
    John T.

Comment

JT hit the nail on the head--lighting and background are very important. We've got an article coming out in the next issue of SSW that discusses it in more detail, but if you take a couple of clamp-on shop lights and fit them with the spiral florescent bulbs, you can get pretty close to natual sunlight inside. Be sure to set your "White Balance" setting on your camera to "auto" or "Florescent"--otherwise your photo will take on an odd color.

You really do need a half-way decent camera as well--at least 4 megapixel--to get high-enough resolution to play with. If your camera is less than that, DO NOT use your zoom function. Many cameras advertise "digital zoom", which means that the camera will blow up the image--so your resolution suffers. If you have "optical zoom" you can get away with more, but since your scrolling projects are not moving around, I'd just move closer instead of zooming in.

More on this later!

Bob
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

For what it is worth:

In Michigan, the local SEARS store Xmas sales, a Craftsman tripod work light is on sale. I think (but could be wrong) it was a 1000watt halogen (sp?) lamp for about $30.00 or $35.00. A halogen lamp has very good photo lamp temperature color. This will help your photos.

Also, use an old solid color (pastel color is best) bed sheet for background.

Phil

Comment

if you do use the halogen, just be sure to soften or diffuse the light somehow--the intensity of the light tends to cast some harsh shadows.

I forgot to mention: DO NOT use the onboard flash--it will almost ALWAYS give you a bad shadow of glare!

Bob
          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Photography

Novascroller.....thare is a pretty good thread in "OFF TOPIC", started by Carl, called PHOTOGRAPHY RECOMMENDATIONS. You might glean some good information there. Hope that helps!!
            If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

all very good information, i appreciate it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MidMich324
                Reply to hegner 2"
                by MidMich324
                Just Wondering...

Is the table size on the 22" hegner saw as on the 18" hegner saw?

With the 22" inch one you get 4 more inches of depth of cut but do you also get a few more inches of table?
                Yesterday, 09:30 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Spring Issue
                by will8989
                I had to fool around with copying and taping a pattern again today. This wasn’t as bad as the fish, but still a pain. I use rapid resizer. Scan a pattern, put in size I want and it prints it out. If more than one page, it numbers each page at the top and I tape them together. Had the fish pattern...
                Yesterday, 09:28 PM
              • millwab
                Reply to Peanuts #1
                by millwab
                Rolf, I cover it with clear contact paper (comes off clean without leaving a residue) and draw a grid for the direction I want to cut (ie horizontal or diagonal) to keep the rows even. The rest is all freehand....
                Yesterday, 02:51 PM
              • Don in Brooklin On
                Reply to Spring Issue
                by Don in Brooklin On
                Rolf

I use acrobat reader. The poster feature will enlarge and if it goes to multiple pages it will put in cut marks. Even if the page is over letter size it will spread to multiple pages at 100%.

If it is in PDF form you can open with Inkscape or GIMP and select what you...
                Yesterday, 01:48 PM
              • theframer
                Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
                by theframer
                Hi Linda, great find...I think.

Please keep us up to date with any information you receive. I would really like to get into this, but my computer skills are almost nonexistent, I need something that a 74 year old air head 🙄 can figure out. Thanks for sharing.

Rick
                Yesterday, 12:05 PM
              Working...
              X