Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying patterns

Scrollers,
    I bought a pattern for a Blosser Clock and made it for a wedding present. Now I have a request to make another one, but this person wants a more "modern" look. She likes the basic fretwork of the box, but would like me to redesign the top and bottom for a cleaner, contemporary look. Would this "cleaner" look detract from the fretwork, or is this one of those "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" things? Any thoughts out there would be appreciated.

Bruce
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

As long as it's not half-Victorian, half-Bauhaus. Mismatched or misguided tampering can wreck a good design.

Comment

You can take some of the fret work out of it but do not start mixing straight angles and things of this nature with the swirls and fancy fret work. Would not look right.
      John T.

Comment

John/Steve et al,
        Finally got them done and the pictures posted (thanx for the help with the pictures Bob). You can view them in the members gallery. I'd appreciate any suggestions on the redesign. If it's any consequence, she liked the 'new' version.

Bruce
        Bruce
        visit sometime
        Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Redesign.

Great job!!! I think I like the redesign better. Don't really know why, maybe because the cleaner lines and more contemporary look are less "busy". Anyway, you did a fine job on it. BTW....JT it's good to see you back. I missed you around here!!
          If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Thanx Neal. "Less busy" was the intent, so I guess I accomlished that. Most of the people I showed both versions to seemed to like the new one better. Maybe it's a keeper!

Bruce
            Bruce
            visit sometime
            Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Mill as I sated last night on your new design I like it better than the origional-with the exception I think the base needs to match a little more with the top--say like adding a 1/2 layer under it again--just to keep it from looking top heavy-
              Sharon

Comment

Sharon,
                What you can't see from the photo are the feet below the bottom piece. They're only 1/4" instead of 1/2", but it does set it off. Since the scroll work on the top and bottom of the clock front is different, I didn't want a "mirror image" effect on the top and bottom pieces. The way it is now, the top and bottom pieces match, but the top has a 'crown' piece to set it off from the bottom and make it look finished.

Bruce
                Bruce
                visit sometime
                Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                  Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                  by jim_mex
                  Hi Linda - thanks for the comments on the welds. It took me an hour or so to get into the swing of MIG wire welding but I really like it in preference to stick welding especially for welding thinner material. I confess to investing in a new angle grinder to help with the cleanup and dressing. I bought...
                  Today, 12:25 AM
                • keystonecop
                  Bread and Cheese..
                  by keystonecop
                  ‚Äč Scrollsaw Woodworking and crafts Winter 2020 3/4 Cherry. A work in progress. This has been one of the most frustrating and rewarding projects that I have ever done. @Fiona Kingdon is by far one of the great scroll saw artists. Her patterns are not always the type that I like (I like to follow red...
                  Today, 12:08 AM
                • keystonecop
                  Reply to Recommendations anyone?
                  by keystonecop
                  This is in a 5x5 area.. The total shop is 10x12 ...
                  Today, 12:01 AM
                • jim_mex
                  Reply to Turning to something new
                  by jim_mex
                  Wow! That segmented bowl is amazing!

Betty - I have an old Darth Vader helmet somewhere. Will that substitute Bruce's get up? Failing that there always my current biker's helmet Thanks very much for the safety advice and concern. Rest assured that safety is my priority these days....
                  Yesterday, 11:57 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Turning to something new
                  by will8989
                  That is beautiful. Your design?
                  Yesterday, 11:42 PM
                Working...
                X