Releasing the tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Releasing the tension

In another thread we were discussing whether or not blades stretch under normal use. As a beginner I would put excessive of tension on the blade and used to break quite a few.
    I tend to wear them out now.
    I remember reading the amount of tension on a scrollsaw blade is in the tens of thousands of pounds per square inch. I wish I could remember where I read that. When you think of the cross section of a blade and the leverage involved in the tension mechanism, multiplied by the length of the arm, I guess it isn't too far off.

Now that the long winded preamble is over, how many scrollers leave tension on their saw? I know I do and it is a nasty habit I need to break. Not only does it apply forces to the blade, clamps and arm, it is also hard on bearings and bushings.

I am sure there are other bad habits that some of us have in the scrolling world and we are not even aware they are bad.
    I would show you a picture of my shop so you could find them but I am afraid the website couldn't handle all that extra traffic
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

I always release the tension on my saw when it is not being used. I give it a good vacuum job after each scrolling session. Mick
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I too always release tension on the scrollsaw and bandsaw. It is a habbit that should be practiced for reasons mentioned above. You could probably get away with it more with a scrollsaw than a bandsaw.
      John T.

Comment

i also release the tension.

Comment

I always do release the tension on my scrollsaw and my bandsaw.

I also always, always, always, lower my blade on my tablesaw...
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Releasing the tension and then sum

I am in the same club with Wood-n-things with releasing the tension and lowering the table saw blade. I also vacum after each session.... Hey what can I tell you I like a clean shop!
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

guilty - the tension doesn't always get released. Sometimes it does, but not always.
              T
              Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Not only do I release the tension on my saw after use, but I brush and floss after every meal.

Gill
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I always release tension on my scrollsaw and my bandsaw. I also rotate my tires at regular intervals, replace the batteries on my smoke detectors on my birthday every year, and till the soil in my garden in the fall. Like Gill, I floss. I look both ways before I cross the street, and never give a sucker an even break.

I keep my nose to the grindstone, my shoulder to the wheel, my feet on the ground and my eyes on the prize. I'm strong to the finish 'cause I eats my spinach.

I take the high road, I walk the line, keep on the sunny side of life. I never say never, I don't take more than I can eat, and I make the best of a bad situation. I don't put anything smaller than my elbow in my ear. I suffer fools gladly.

I go placidly amidst the noise and haste. I ask not what my country can do for me. I never met a man I didn't like. I let a smile be my umbrella, and I don't remove this tag under penalty of law.

And if you believe all that...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X