Anyone try this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try this

i've been working on a large plaque (11x17") and i was having some troubles because i only have a 16" throat. what i tried last night was to install the blade backwards and gently pull the work towards me to get the work cut. it worked good. anyone else ever try this?

cheers.

That is a great tip.
    I have used that before when I don't have any spiral blades.
    I have also used the blade that way when I cut the fret slots for a musical instrument. I needed to see exactly where I was cutting.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I've done that while cutting soundholes on a dulcimer top. Now I have a 20" saw, so I don't need to do it much, but it's good to have that in the bag of tricks.

Nova, how did that work out with the fret slots? It would certainly keep the slots square to the board. How did you keep them at a uniform depth? And what blade did you use? I haven't measured, but it seems that all the blades I have would be too narrow for the tang. Hmm, I'm thinking about it as a way to make just a little nick that would guide the fretting saw (not to be confused with a fret saw!)

Comment

Even twisting the blade while on the saw with pliers will give you more range of cutting and drilling more than one hole in fretwork pieces helps.
        Fred

Comment

I see Fred types faster than I but I was going to mention the same thing. You can take a blade and put in a vice and bend the blade 90 degree and do this for top and bottom and now you can cut sideways on the table. Works fine.
          John T.

Comment

When I had a smaller scroll saw I did that a few times, it was different but it worked.
            Where there's a will there's a way.

Bob
            Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Originally posted by PiALaModem
              I've done that while cutting soundholes on a dulcimer top. Now I have a 20" saw, so I don't need to do it much, but it's good to have that in the bag of tricks.

Nova, how did that work out with the fret slots? It would certainly keep the slots square to the board. How did you keep them at a uniform depth? And what blade did you use? I haven't measured, but it seems that all the blades I have would be too narrow for the tang. Hmm, I'm thinking about it as a way to make just a little nick that would guide the fretting saw (not to be confused with a fret saw!)
              i'm not sure what you mean by fret slots?

Comment

Nova, sorry, I read the wrong header. I was actually asking CanadianScroller about the fret slots...to answer *your* question, fret slots are where you stick the frets on a guitar fingerboard, or any other "fretted" instrument like banjo, ukulele, mandolin, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by PiALaModem
                  Nova, sorry, I read the wrong header. I was actually asking CanadianScroller about the fret slots...to answer *your* question, fret slots are where you stick the frets on a guitar fingerboard, or any other "fretted" instrument like banjo, ukulele, mandolin, etc.
                  i know what they are, i play guitar i was more curious as to why you were asking me. cheers.

Comment

No fretting

The saw worked great for marking but as you said the blades were not quite thick enough to make the proper kerf
                    As for depth of cut you can tape a stop to the front of the table.

I think if I look at blade thicknesses on line I could find one more suitable...or clamp two blades at once.

The slots were parallel if not perpendicular. Both equally important.

I have to admit I was thinking about what your comments would be when I made the post.
                    It works great on my strum sticks, I am not sure how effective it would be for serious instruments.

PS> I only just figured out your name I am slow lately
                    I like it.
                    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I've been pondering your name for a while Steve...I just got it! Very Clever!!!
                      Bob
                      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X