Everyone Makes Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone Makes Mistakes

I was recently cutting a layered project. 5 layers deep cut from resawn wood.
    The grain patterns flowed smoothly through all pieces.
    There are a few lines that need to be the same on all pieces so I stack cut the first few cuts.
    I then cut the back layer first, then the next and so on.
    As I came to glue the pattern on the second to last piece I noticed that my initial cut had removed some of the wood I needed to complete the project.

So I have some options left.
    1. I can discard the entire project
    2. I can place a similar piece of wood in the sandwiched frame to complete the project
    3. I can leave it the way it is and keep it around as a sad reminder
    4. i can set fire to my shop and collect the insurance

Just kidding with the last remark.
    I am asking scrollers, when, if any time , is it OK to repair, or patch a project?
    This project is one of four identical projects I have been commissioned to do.

It is not the end of the world if I have to start over. I had fun cutting it the first time I am sure I will have fun cutting it again
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Carl, I would say it is okay to patch or repair if it won't be noticable. I don't do commison work but I have broken pieces off of portraits and scenic pictures I have done and just glued them back on. I know where they are but others can't tell. Mick.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

"The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell." --Confucius

Comment

I had already decided what to do with this particular project, I am just curious what others would do.
        That Confucius guy never seems to post much these days. I wonder if he is spending too much time at his saw?

I really should have included more details before I posted because each project we do is different.
        My material cost was zero, I designed the pattern and printed it off so that cost was negligible and here is the kicker, I maybe spent an hour cutting time on the project.

No one but me would ever know there was an error, but boy does it erk me that I am to blame
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Mistake

Attached is a photo of a mistake I tried to correct. I cut the geese in a slab of basswood and the piece didn't look right.....so I stained it. Then it REALLY didn't look right!!! I was going to pitch it but decided to experiment. I retrieved a few tubes of acrylic from my duck carving days and this is the result. A did a quick paint job therefore it still doesn't look very good but a whole new realm of creativity has opened up. Just goes to show that one can hide a lot of sin with a coat of paint!!!
          Attached Files
          If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Geez! Of course it is permissible to correct a mistake. Gary Browning says in one of his books that "that is the reason they invented glue." I think he is correct. When you start (if you haven't already) doing projects, like some of Jeff Zaffino's patterns, with a large number of very fine lines and internal cuts, you can't help but "mess up" sometime. Most folks won't even know you made a mistake. The only time I won't "fix" a mistake is when it would take more time and effort than restarting/redoing the project.
            Moon
            Old Mooner

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X