Everyone Makes Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone Makes Mistakes

I was recently cutting a layered project. 5 layers deep cut from resawn wood.
    The grain patterns flowed smoothly through all pieces.
    There are a few lines that need to be the same on all pieces so I stack cut the first few cuts.
    I then cut the back layer first, then the next and so on.
    As I came to glue the pattern on the second to last piece I noticed that my initial cut had removed some of the wood I needed to complete the project.

So I have some options left.
    1. I can discard the entire project
    2. I can place a similar piece of wood in the sandwiched frame to complete the project
    3. I can leave it the way it is and keep it around as a sad reminder
    4. i can set fire to my shop and collect the insurance

Just kidding with the last remark.
    I am asking scrollers, when, if any time , is it OK to repair, or patch a project?
    This project is one of four identical projects I have been commissioned to do.

It is not the end of the world if I have to start over. I had fun cutting it the first time I am sure I will have fun cutting it again
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Carl, I would say it is okay to patch or repair if it won't be noticable. I don't do commison work but I have broken pieces off of portraits and scenic pictures I have done and just glued them back on. I know where they are but others can't tell. Mick.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

"The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell." --Confucius

Comment

I had already decided what to do with this particular project, I am just curious what others would do.
        That Confucius guy never seems to post much these days. I wonder if he is spending too much time at his saw?

I really should have included more details before I posted because each project we do is different.
        My material cost was zero, I designed the pattern and printed it off so that cost was negligible and here is the kicker, I maybe spent an hour cutting time on the project.

No one but me would ever know there was an error, but boy does it erk me that I am to blame
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Mistake

Attached is a photo of a mistake I tried to correct. I cut the geese in a slab of basswood and the piece didn't look right.....so I stained it. Then it REALLY didn't look right!!! I was going to pitch it but decided to experiment. I retrieved a few tubes of acrylic from my duck carving days and this is the result. A did a quick paint job therefore it still doesn't look very good but a whole new realm of creativity has opened up. Just goes to show that one can hide a lot of sin with a coat of paint!!!
          Attached Files
          If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Geez! Of course it is permissible to correct a mistake. Gary Browning says in one of his books that "that is the reason they invented glue." I think he is correct. When you start (if you haven't already) doing projects, like some of Jeff Zaffino's patterns, with a large number of very fine lines and internal cuts, you can't help but "mess up" sometime. Most folks won't even know you made a mistake. The only time I won't "fix" a mistake is when it would take more time and effort than restarting/redoing the project.
            Moon
            Old Mooner

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
              Reply to My covid angel
              by Rolf
              Great designe! I would have gone a bit further than Linda, Scott and Gladefade I would cut it into more pieces to make shaping easier. Taper the clouds from right to left, taper the wings so that they are lower where they attach to the body. Taper the neck so that it looks like it is going into the...
              Today, 09:02 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to Tough Decisions
              by Rolf
              The never ending dilemma. I only get two magazines SSWWC and Wood carving Illustrated. Even if I don't make something in every issue there is usually something in each one that I have never tried and that will either challenge or inspire me. Yes I know that I do test cutting for them and they have occasionally...
              Today, 08:49 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to My covid angel
              by NC Scroller
              I would start by tracing your piece on a piece of 1/8" (3mm) material and then cut the back our such that it is a fraction smaller that your project. Then I would cut your piece into two pieces. I mean cut the angel from the cloud. I would then put the cloud on the 1.8" backer and then with...
              Today, 07:27 AM
            • Quartz43
              Reply to Tough Decisions
              by Quartz43
              I understand supporting the magazine and agree. I just do not find many projects that fit my desires.

I would like to see them do a poll with subscribers to find out what type projects people want to see....
              Today, 05:42 AM
            • GladeFade
              Reply to My covid angel
              by GladeFade
              First off how thick is the board you cut?
              When I want something to stand out I use backer-boards 1/8 thick to get the depth.
              that means you would have to cut the big cutting into pieces to put the spacer behind.
              for instance the cloud bottom right which his hand is on I would put maybe...
              Yesterday, 11:05 PM
            Working...
            X