scrolling larger pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrolling larger pieces

Has anyone done scrolling of larger pieces where the joints are seamless.
    Cutting two pieces and gluing them together.

I have seen some of Robin Wirtz work like this piece that is 6'wide and 3 1/2 ' tall.
    I would like to know what kind of techniques people would use for this.
    You can see more of Robin's work at http://www.woodwirtz.com/
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Carl,

I did it a lot cutting the grand father clock on my web site. I don't know how it will work with the big screen. Maybe they cut all the pieces separate and clued them in the frame.

Mike
    SD Mike

Comment

Hi Carl

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a lot of that frame was stack cut and then opened up to form mirror images, with the final details being added afterwards.

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

seemless joints

I frequently do what I think you are describing.For instance,on the top section of some clocks "sometimes refered to as the crown". When the piece is symmetrical,i stack cut two halves,then glue the halves together. On the occasion the piece isnt totally symmetrical,I will stack cut the two halves only where they are symmetrical,then glue the halves together,and finish cutting the parts not symmetrical.Its hard for me to explain,but if you have a wildwood catalog,or can view the clock "the Wakefield" on dirk boelmans website,you will see the top section I'm refering to,where its just about totally symmetrical,except for one section,a small circle with a design inside it.
        This method makes cutting easier,you can bookmatch the grain,and the piece stays flatter then using one piece.
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Thanks lLucky, we were both posting at the same time so I missed your post.

I have seen how Robin did it, I just wondered if anyone else had different techniques
          When she cut the screen she would cut the pattern except the outside edges, where two pieces joined. Then she would glue the pieces together and finish off the cutting.
          Summer Dreams contains 5664 piercing cuts and took 3 months to cut.

Here is another one she did. She airbrushes the colour on them.
          I am not sure if she still scrolls the site has not been updated in a very long time.
          Maybe Bob Duncan can persued her to become a member here
          Last edited by CanadianScroller; 09-21-2005, 10:12 PM.
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X