Metal Templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Templates

Has anyone ever tried cutting wood using a metal template to guide a woodcutting blade against? I believe this technique is employed by visually impaired people, but I can understand how it could be useful for sighted people too.

I'd be interested to know what blades are best and what sort of metal should be used as a template. There are some nice brass templates around that paper makers use to emboss paper and I was wondering if they would make suitable templates.

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

I guess the question would be what kind of woodcutting blade would be used on the template?
    I have cut aluminum with my saw and a metal cutting blade, I have also seen metal scroll saw inserts cut with loose blades, I may have even cut a few like that before .
    Are you going to use a knife to trace the template or were you thinking of scrolling?
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Hi Carl

As I said, I've already got some brass templates in mind that I think might be suitable. I'm trying to find out if anyone else has ever used this technique and how they went about it. Brass is a very soft metal so it's quite possible that even a wood cutting blade might cause damage to the template if lined alongside it. Common sense would therefore suggest that a blade with finely set teeth would be necessary.

I know it can be done, because I've been told so by a saw manufacturer who used to supply blind people. I'm just trying to work out how it's done. Template production is a different matter altogether, since that can be undertaken quite happily with a proper metal cutting blade.

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Gill

I have to ask. WHY?? Are you plan on making templates for blind people? If not I think you are wasting your time. I hate to be so blunt but sometimes I just am. If you can scroll then there is no need for a template unless you are using it to trace a pattern. It will slow you down more so than do any good. Unless I am missing something here then forgive me. Please explain.
        John T.

Comment

I missed something here too. What is wrong with the tried and true method of photocopying a pattern and putting it on the wood with a form of adhesive. Unless the templates are just for blind people which would could make the subject interesting.
          Fred

Comment

A template can not be used with a scroll saw blade. A scroll saw blade has a burr on the right side and wants to cut to the right. Even if there was not a burr, the blades are to tinny and would wander away from the template. Using a scroll saw is almost like driving a car. To stay on the road, you keep moving the steering wheel left and right just a little, so you go straight. That is also the reason you can not use a fence on a scroll saw like you do on a band saw. I have heard that someone cut a hack saw blade to length and used a fence. I never understood that, it would be a lot easier to use a band saw.
            Mike M
            SD Mike

Comment

I just asked a question. Now I wish I hadn't.

Comment

Come on guys...questions never hurt! It's trying new things and thinking outside the box that led people to stick patterns on the wood with spray adhesive in the first place! Or showed that if you set your table to a slight angle and cut in only one direction, you could pop something almost the whole way out...but leave it still there.

I think it's great to question like this! Who knows when a quesiton like this will lead to a new development in scrolling.

Gill, keep asking questions! I'll always back you up on that!!!!!

Bob
                www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I would worry about dulling the blade on the template.
                  Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Gill

Don't take offence by the responses. Questions are good this is how we learn. Thinking outside the box that is a good one BOB. You mentioned you read about this maybe you can shed some light because as you read here the reasons why it won't work were brought up but maybe there is something that is missing in your explanation.
                    John T.

Comment

Just a thought

Hi Gill, just a thought here. I have them every now and again, just so that last brain cell of mine doesnt get lonely.
                      What would you think of having a metal tube as a sleeve over the blade?
                      The sleeve could be fastened to the hold down and the blade could slide in it
                      That way the template is protected by the sleeve and the wood could be cut with the blade.
                      I am sure there will be some poohooing of the idea, but I am also sure people did the same when someone put a bearing on a router bit.
                      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Carl

You said it and now let me be the first to boohoo it. Did you not read Mike's explanation on the performance of a blade? I would say he is a man who knows about blades. First a sleeve will block the site of the blade and since a blade needs to flex because of wood grain and this is why you need to adjust the wood when trying to follow a pattern. This is why a fence or any other apparatus to guide the blade will not work as per explained.

Carl

Didn't you bring this sleeve thing up once before on another topic in fact you showed photos. I would have to look back on some old posts.
                        Last edited by jttheclockman; 09-08-2005, 06:24 PM.
                        John T.

Comment

No JT the other post was not a sleeve but a guide bushing.
                          It is only a thought. We can't progress the hobby if we don't have thoughts.
                          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Carl

Progress the hobby yes I agree but sometimes we have to stop and think before we try to move on to the progress part. You have been scrolling long enough to know the actions of a blade when it is cutting wood when scrolling, you know the make-up of a blade. now please tell me how the teeth rubbing against a piece of metal is going to help. Like I said before there maybe more to this story than Gill reported and if she can fill us in I am all for learning new things.
                            John T.

Comment

Thank you for your support, Bob. I know for a fact that this technique can be employed successfully, despite the collective wisdom of the forum that it isn't possible.

JT - I can see how the use of these templates could open up new aspects of woodwork but I hope you'll understand my reluctance to disclose my thoughts, given the scepticism already expressed here.

Gill

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X