Coin Cutting (51 cents worth)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coin Cutting (51 cents worth)

This is for Sharon when the she gets the new G4 saw. This is just a little project to test your eye sight and patience. Just look at it this way, the pattern only cost you a quarter, penny, dime or whatever you want. I must warn you that the coin does get hot enough to burn your fingers so you have to go slow. I used a new FD-RB 2/0 coin cutting blade Mike sent me to try out. I only sawed the Texas quarter today and it took me three blades The first two broke after high temp. Mike I apologize for waiting so long to try the blades. They do a really good job and cut better than a wood blade. Yes you can use a standard wood blade to cut coins also. Use a 2/0 or 3/0 wood blade and it will do fine. It is just a bit more agressive and seems a litter harder to control. Do not use a reverse cutting blade for coins.The FD-RB 2/0 coin cutting blades I think will work much better. The horse and Lincoln I cut with a wood blade. The Texas I used the new coin blade. I will have to order some more as I only have two new and one used left. Again thanks Mike for the samples, they are good blades for cutting coins. Some people turn minatures on a lathe, anybody that owns a scroll saw should try this. It is definately different than cutting wood. Have fun.

James (Huntsville, TX.)

nice work to quoin a phrase.

I have often thought of cutting coins but never tried it.
    Looks like a real challenge
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Coin Cutting

Wow, that is some small cutting, but I must admit I really don't understand why someone would cut a coin. Along with my scroll saw I am a die hard
      Numismatist (fancy talk for coin collector). And I would say that you'll want to watch what you're cutting as some coins carry quite a price for collectors. I've seen some of the Wisconsion die errors go for hunderds of dollars.
      And I would also wonder about the "destruction of Gov't property" thing?
      At any rate James, nice cutting!

Comment

WOW !!!!! WAY COOL JAMES !!!! --- Now where is the nickel? I just ordered a gross spiral blades from mike -I wonder if they will cut them - I do have to try them though and were my extra eyes along with my magnifing light lol--
        Once again James -You do Texas proud ---
        Sharon
        Oh by the way - I didn't know Lincoln smoked a pipe -- lol

Comment

Do you know something I don't ??

I have had my mind whirrling all morning now I am dieing to know -- What new saw ? Are you keeping me in the dark or just giving me a hint you and the family are coming up ?? lol It will be a fun visit if you are.. Heck I may even cook ---
          Sharon

Comment

Very nice work. I too have thought of cutting coins, but never gave it a try. Guess I'll have to now since you've given us some inspiration.

Comment

There used to be a guy at Silver Dollar City in Branson who had a shop that sold nothing but cut coins. He cut them all by hand with a coping saw, then set them in rings or made necklaces of them. This was a few years ago, don't know if he's still there.

His were works of art. He could cut around the individual letters on the coins. The super slow speed of the hand saw gave him lots of control.

I asked him about the destruction of gov. property and he said look around, he only cut coins from other countries.

cooter

Comment

Coin Cutting

I know that most people thing it is against the law to cut coins. It is not as long as you are not doing it with the intent for fraudulent use. Below is the statue which will explain. You can cut coins to make jewelry, sell, or collect if you want to all legal. The below statue refers to altering for fraudulent intent which would be the same as counterfiting.

Cutting coins is perfectly legal. Section 331, title 18 of the U.S. code, prohibits, among other things, the fraudulent alteration and mutilation of U.S. and foreign coins. For example, it is illegal to alter the date, or mintmark of an inexpensive common coin so that it has the date and mintmark of a valuable rare coin. This statute does not prohibit the mutilation of coins if done without fraudulent intent, or if the coins are not used fraudulently.

James (Huntsville, TX.)

Comment

Makes sense to me. There are a ton of machines out there that squash a penny and print something on it. My son has one with Spongebob on one and another with Scooby-Doo. I don't think an establishment could have one of those machines if it was against the law to mutilate or deface a coin.

Comment

As kids we used to sit pennies on the railway track when the train was coming and it flattened them right out thin and large. Maybe I should have saved some to put a pattern on and cut them out.
                    Fred

Comment

Originally posted by JamesHuntsville
                      ... Just look at it this way, the pattern only cost you a quarter, penny, dime or whatever you want. I must warn you that the coin does get hot enough to burn your fingers so you have to go slow. I used a new FD-RB 2/0 coin cutting blade Mike sent me to try out. ...The FD-RB 2/0 coin cutting blades I think will work much better. Again thanks Mike for the samples, they are good blades for cutting coins. ...anybody that owns a scroll saw should try this. It is definately different than cutting wood. Have fun.

James (Huntsville, TX.)
                      James,

I can't find the FD-RB 2/0 blade listed on Mike's site. Are these under the counter blades he hasn't listed yet and having people test them first?

Do you use a special holder for the coin?

Nice work. I have some friends and relatives in Texas that need some cut-out coins :-)

Thanks for any information.

Clem

Comment

Clem,

I just have some samples and I'm trying to find out which one work the best.
                        I will email you.
                        I'm not planning to have them on my website till I know what numbers would be best.

Mike
                        SD Mike

Comment

I talked to Scot from White Tail Designs, http://www.whitetaildesignsltd.com/ they have a book about cutting coins with a pattern for a jig to hold the coin.
                          He told me that when you mention me you can get a $ 5.00 discount on the book. Make sure you talk to Scott.
                          Mike
                          SD Mike

Comment

I'd like to make a recommendation here, but ever since I got the blades, I haven't got a single Texas quarter. Bought a whole role and not a Texas to be found. It's got to be a conspiracy.

Ed

Comment

here in my town is also a man who uses a "jewlers" coping saw. his work is fabulous! mostly necklaces some rings. he once tld me it is NOT illegal and the variety of coins from all over the world have every thing under the sun on them! so just like the sqished,rolled out, elongated penny machines it is not illegal. there even clubs/web sites for those things! I have a bunch!! right now my primary intrest is in making scroll sawed chess peices from a book by Diana Thompson. they are SO NEAT. the book ISBN # 1-56523-188-0. If one enters this # in google then click on the very first link, about wood carving. scroll down to item 8515 you can see a picture of her book and a set that she has made/designed!
                              Last edited by 4whlstee-er; 10-11-2005, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by NC Scroller
                                I get them from Amazon. I normally buy them in packages of 100....
                                Today, 07:37 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by NC Scroller
                                Leading up to my retirement I too worried about who would replace me. Truth be told I was more worried than my management. It took a couple months after my retirement for the feelings to go away. Now I only miss the people and not the job.
                                Today, 07:32 AM
                              • will8989
                                Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                                Today, 12:59 AM
                              • will8989
                                Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                                Today, 12:46 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                                Today, 12:27 AM
                              Working...
                              X