What kind of tape ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of tape ??

I have heard a lot of you talk about using tape on your patterns - What kind of packing tape? Is it the clear or is it the one with strings ? Do you tape both sides of your board or just one -- if one which one ? Think of all the info and post please cause I am sure I aren't the only one that wants to know ..
    Sharon

Clear or not clear that is the question!

I have used clear tape but I don't use it often.
    Sharp blades and correct speed seem to work best.
    When I don't have the right size blade, then I have used the packing tape.
    I use painters tape to keep fine projects together as I cut. It keeps the waste wood in place, which supports the finer pieces as you cut. I tape over the lines I have just cut.
    The painters tape has low tack so it is easy to peel off without damaging the finished product.

I also tape my stack cut pieces together with painters tape.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I use clear packing tape over the patterns.
      Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Sharon, I use clear packing tape that I get at walmart. I never use it on thinner wood, sharp blade works best. I make these puzzles that are 1 3/8" X 1 3/8" and I put the tape on all sides.

Bob
        Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Sharon..You want the clear "packaging" tape, The stuff with strings has too much gum. Bob is right as far as the thin stuff goes, you really don't need it. It works best on thick projects or wood that tends to burn easily from blade friction such as cherry. You want to put it on the top or pattern side of the wood. From what I've read, some people put it directly on the wood amd then glue the pattern to the tape. Others put the pattern on and then the tape. I do know it works. I have only used it on the current project but will continue to use it on thick stack cuts and red oak projects. It prolongs the life of the blade, helps to keep the pattern from lifting and prevents burning. It's also good on a lot of alternative materials ( corian, acrylic, etc.).
          If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Thanks for the info --

Currantly I am working on a piece that has a lot of detailed cuts of a little boy and his dog sitting on a pier. I am doing it on 1/4 red oak ply - cause I liked the wood grain it has - and I havent had any trouble yet but I thought about Neal and his dogs and since this piece is so very fine I thought "what if after all this work I break some of the pier ?" soooooooooo i thought of the tape. Thanks I am happy to inform I have learned one more lesson here today --big hug to all

Comment

Sharon, I have broken many little pieces off when cutting, I just get the Tacky Glue out ant put it back together, do it long enough and you get pretty good at fixing them.

Bob
              Delta P-20 & Q-3

Comment

Yea I know but I use carpenters glue - I do have tacky glue for my sewing room- several bottles and never use them -- wonder if they would work on my wood -- save a penny somewhere and they add up
                Sharon

Comment

I use tacky glue sometimes
                  It bonds quick
                  I also use it for glueing pictures to make jigsaw puzzles.
                  I don't think I would use it for structural work though... Not too many structural scrollsaw projects out there!
                  Wow that is a challenge for someone to prove me wrong isnt it

Originally posted by SharonW0111
                  Yea I know but I use carpenters glue - I do have tacky glue for my sewing room- several bottles and never use them -- wonder if they would work on my wood -- save a penny somewhere and they add up
                  Sharon
                  CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                  "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                  Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Some of the clock makers I know use nothing but Tacky Glue.

Bob
                    Delta P-20 & Q-3

Comment

I use a heavier tape when cutting puzzles, I found that the lighter tape is a pain when removing it from my finished cut project however I found that dental tools work great and save the nails when peeling the tape off....

cutting up one piece at a time

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                        Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                        by will8989
                        Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                        Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                        by will8989
                        Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                        Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by will8989
                        He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                        Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Sundays market
                        by will8989
                        We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                        Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                      Working...
                      X