Dome Ckock and Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome Ckock and Stand

Here is the Dome clock I made from cherry wood I purchased in North Carolina. I am in the process of cutting out the stand for it also made from cherry to match the clock. I mill my own boards from 5/4 lumber. This stand will have 873 inside cut outs. Believe me when I say that anybody who has scroll sawn for a day can make this clock if you just take your time. This was the second clock I ever made and just because I said to myself after looking at other peoples clocks, "I can do that". To all you beginners, don't sell yourself short on your skills. If you are smart enough to thread a blade then you too can make this clock.

Looks fantastic....drool...drool. I always love looking at those big clocks. It's awe inspiring. Great Job

Comment

Nice clock.How big is it.how big will the base be.
      Fred

Comment

Dome Clock and Stand Dimensions

The clock is 22"wide x 50"high x 12" deep. The stand will be 12 3/4" high x 28 3/4" wide x 14 3/4" deep made from 100% cherry wood and finished with BLO and clear lacquer.

James (Huntsville, TX.)
        Last edited by JamesHuntsville; 08-26-2005, 10:40 PM.

Comment

What a lovely clock. You may claim that it's simple, but it looks remarkably complicated to an uninformed observer.

Can I thank you for showing us the plan layout? I wish more scrollers would do this (myself included ) to give others a better idea of what is involved in a project.

Gill
          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Can I ask, which equipment is necessary to mill...

Hi,

it looks fantastic, I love the finish. Yes, I also tell people, if you can make a 5 pieces project, you can make a 100 pieces project, it just takes longer.

Can I ask, which equipment is necessary to mill your own boards? Can you point me somewhere where it is explained how to do it?

Thanks. Pedro.
            http://www.finescrollsaw.com

Comment

Very nice job

Very nice job. What kind of saw do you have? I hope do do that good some day as I am still a Newby at this. I agree with Gill the plan layout is a good addition to the picture of the finished project.

By the way of your name do you come from Huntsville? Would that be Texas or Alabama? If Texas what are you in for? (Just a little Texas joke). I was born in Texas and lived in Huntsville, Alabama.

-Bill
              -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

That is one awsome clock James --Can't wait to see the stand you are going to make for it -How long did it take you to make

Sharon

Comment

Dome Clock

Hi Sharon,

It took me approx. 200 hrs. to prepare the wood, saw the clock and assemble the parts and apply the finish. I have a lot of pictures of the assembly process. I never stack saw anything. All pieces are cut individually. Most people do theirs in a lot less time than I do but I worked on it when ever I felt like and had time. Sometimes I would saw for two or three days and then may not touch it for a few weeks. I had no time schedule, it is just a relaxing hobby for me. If you would like I can post assembly photos. I don't know how to put them in a gallery just download from picture trail to this site. The pattern shown is of the stand, not the clock.

James (Huntsville, TX.)

Comment

Equipment for preparing wood

Hi Pedrofret,

The tools I use to prepare the wood are, 1. 14" Delta bandsaw. 2. DJ-20 Delta jointer, 3. 15" Delta plainer, 4. sometimes a 10" Delta Unisaw table saw if needed, 5. a 16-32 drum sander. The first thing I do is pick the straightest boards from the selection. Then I run one edge over the jointer to get a flat straight edge to run through the bandsaw for resawing. I next run each board through the plainer to get the thickness the same the length of the board. This makes it flat on both surfaces. This won't straighten the board if it has a slight bow but that is not a problem at the band saw. Next I set the thickness oversize at the bandsaw I want each board to be so I have material I can take off at the drum sander to remove saw marks. After I resaw each board to oversize, I then guage the thickness with a micrometer each pass through the drum sander. Most of the boards when ready for use are within .002 to .010 thickness of each other. I know you don't have to be that precise but that is just me. I have worked with precision tool all my life and the closer to dimension I can get my wood the less sanding and better fit each piece will have. Believe me when I say it takes more time to glue the panels up than it does to dimension the wood for the panels. Most of the time when I finish and get ready to saw the patterns you cannot see the glue lines in the boards. Also resawing will give you matching panels for some really good looking matching grain texture. Sorry about such a long post but I hope this helps explain what is involved in just wood preparation that the person who sees your finished product doesn't understand what you went through to get there. Have a good day.

James (Huntsville, TX.)
                    Last edited by JamesHuntsville; 08-26-2005, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Very nice work indeed. But if I be so bold and to suggest look into stack cutting. A project such as that screams stack cutting. There are too many nice projects not to try, and not stack cutting takes alot of time. Again very well done and nice choice of woods.
                      John T.

Comment

WOW James-- You could have a full time job just naming all your tools- your shop sounds really nice-- you must be a delta dealer in your spare time --lol --if you ever get tired of your day job you could make clocks -- he he he

Sharon

Comment

Very nice clock. It's true that one can accomplish great things if one puts their mind to it, and this project proves that.

Comment

Hats off

Great work on the clock.
                            I know it is a large undertaking.
                            As for the stack cutting I am both for and against.
                            I attempted to make that clock out of red oak which I got for free in 1/8 by 6" by random lengths. I stack cut 4 pieces at once and went through so many blades I gave up on the project for a spell.
                            I did get the first two layers complete before I ran out of blades.
                            Perhaps if I cut only two pieces at once, or if I had different wood I could have saved a few blades

Some day I hope to complete the clock, I would be happy if it cae out even half as good as yours.

GOOD WORK!
                            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X