Three corner puzzle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three corner puzzle.

Cut the top puzzle and than arrange the A and B as you see on the bottom one and you will find that there is an opening. Why?
    If you cut the outside of both and lay it on top of each other you will see that they are ecaxtly the same size. Why is there an opening when you change A and B like on the bottom one? I don't know.
    Mike M
    SD Mike

Your eyes are playing tricks on your brain.

This puzzle, I think, makes you think that the the two smaller triangles are similar geometric triangles. They are not AS THE PUZZLE IS DRAWN!!

The original triange, as you have drawn it, is 26 squares, by 10 sq high.

Triangle 'A' is a 16 by 6 (angles of 20.6, 90, 69.4)
    Triangle 'B' is a 10 by 4 (angles of 21.8, 90, 68.2)

Now recheck the original triangle - the hyponenuse is a stright line, therefore we must conclude the graphical construction of the smaller shapes must be fooling our eyes.

If we take the original triangle of 26 by 10, that gives angles of 21.04, 90.0 and 68.96 degrees.

The height of 'A' at the the 16 square point is not 10 units, as shown, but is
    (tan (21.04)*16 = 6.156 squares high.

Now figure D can be presummed drawn correctly, but figure 'C' is drawn 0.156 squares too low.

Left side is 4.156 squares high, then 10 squares across, 2.156 squares down, 6 squares to the right and then two squares down, and four more to the right.

The missing area is the difference between the graphical drawing of 'C' and the calculated value of 'C'

BTW, the reconstruction of the 4 shapes to form the 2nd triangle does not show the corrected shape of 'C'. when re-arranged there should be a wisker gap between the bottom of 'A' and the top of 'D' due the increased height of 'C'

Does any of this make any sense to Anyone????

Phil

Comment

Gee I wish I knew what you just said..

Comment

???.

Now Phil, I know you know what you are talking about. But did you cut the puzzle out?

This is similar in concept to the dissapearing man illusion . I still havent figured either one out even with explanations.

Somethings are best left for us to awe. But perhaps I just have a simple mind.
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Hi Phil,

That explanation was way over my head, sorry about that, Phil. Like Carl was saying, did you cut both pieces and lay it on top of each other? The bottom of B is shorter than the bottom of A. Why are both triangles the same size but one leaves an opening?

Mike M
          SD Mike

Comment

Phil,

Check this site: http://www.pops-shop.net/phpBB/viewt...hp?p=9094#9094
            John Siers agrees with you. Nice to have people with more knowledge about geometry on this board than I have,.
            Thank you Phil, with what you explained and what John explained it is now getting more clear to me.
            Would be a nice conversation piece at craftshows.

Mike M
            SD Mike

Comment

Compare the intersections of "A", "B", and "C" and you'll see part of the reason. If "C" was cut correctly, the difference would be even greater. I didn't know Phil's answer to it, but I did see the difference at the intersection.
              Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Using Corel Draw!

Phil

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand words!! Now I see.
                  T
                  Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Phil --- now I see it is the way they were stacked ( c on top of D ) works.. I knew it looked like that is where the diff was but with all the little squares my eyes couldnt see it ...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Reply to Sundays market
                      by will8989
                      We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                      Today, 08:56 PM
                    • Jim McDonald
                      Reply to Interesting pallet
                      by Jim McDonald
                      I have harvested some very interesting specimens in the last 10 years. Bookmatched ash that was absolutely beautiful; red oak, maple, some spalted "something" and more.
                      But since most of the cross boards on pallets are 3 to 4 nches wide and 3/8" to 5/8", I have few uses for...
                      Today, 08:17 PM
                    • Quartz43
                      Reply to New tools
                      by Quartz43
                      I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
                      Today, 03:40 PM
                    • hotshot
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by hotshot
                      You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
                      Today, 02:27 PM
                    • RJweb
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by RJweb
                      I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
                      Today, 01:31 PM
                    Working...
                    X