Fun at the fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun at the fair

I just got back from four days of scrolling at our local fair.
    This year my scrolling partner and I made three plaques as the show got underway. They were the multilayered heron from accentsinpine.com.
    We put out a guest book with a place to say yes or no to owning a scroll saw.
    I havent tallied the results yet. We had well over a thousand visitors but only 200 or so signed in. Three winners were chosen by randomly choosing numbers.
    They will be sent the pictures this week. It was a great way to get some contacts of people who like scrolling. It may be something you could do at craft shows.
    I had my whole booth set up in a small three drawer cabinet with my saw bolted to the top. I rolled it in and set up in about 10 minutes. Tear down was even quicker. Since this was a farm fair I didnt even have to clean up the sawdust
    During the four days we demonstrated, simple cutting, jigsaw puzzles, compound cutting and fretwork. Lots of interest and hopefully we have convinced a few people to drag their scrollsaws from under the stairs and join us in a great hobby.
    We really didnt sell anything but we gave lots of little puzzles and small cut outs away.
    Now I will probably put my scrollsaw under thestairs till next year and try and shame some more poeple into scrolling .
    Cant do that, Christmas is just around the corner!
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Hi Carl,

Nice to hear you had a great time. We have our fair this week. I always took my scroll saw to demomstrate. Last year Silver Sliver went along and this year he is doing it by himself. He sure gets a lot attention by making some very nice small ornaments and other small items. Just hope it cools down a little for him. It is about 90 F again today.
    Hope the brochures came in time.

Mike M
    SD Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

The brochures didnt make it but I wrote your web site address on the back of my card and handed that out. I also put a link from my webpage.

Now I have a question. How the heck are you going to sell blades that last so long.

My partner got 14 hours from one blade.... mind you he has the gift of gab so I dont know how much cutting there was verses talking.
      He figures he was getting about four times the use from his other blades. You sold both of us on them.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Sounds like the fair was alot of fun...great job....tell me what saw did you bring along

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• alexscrollsaw
          It is so cute (Christmas deer)
          by alexscrollsaw
          "It is so cute" - it is the first what I hear when I show this project. I haven’t done 3D patterns for a long time (about a year), it’s quite difficult and takes a long time. But I don’t regret the time I spent on this new pattern - Christmas deer, I think it turned out great. It is...
          Today, 02:03 PM
        • markdavd
          Reply to Shrink wrap systems
          by markdavd
          I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
          Today, 09:45 AM
        • NC Scroller
          by NC Scroller
          My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
          Today, 07:42 AM
        • will8989
          by will8989
          None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
          Today, 12:20 AM
        • Linda In Phoenix
          by Linda In Phoenix
          What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
          The bags seem easier on the surface.
          But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
          Yesterday, 03:24 PM
        Working...
        X