Cleaning Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Shop

I took a stab at cleaning my shop tonight. I say stab because it will take at least a week.
    My shop is in the basement and with my children moving in and out of the house like boomerangs they tend to use the shop for storage.

Thats my excuse...the other is I am a slob. Cant seem to keep things in place.

A few good things are coming out of the clean up.
    First. I found the very first thing I scroll sawed. A rose coaster.
    Second. I can see how much I have come along over the years scary really.
    Next I realize that if my flash goes off when I am trying to take pictures of the work on my saw, maybe I need to have more light there when I am sawing . Cant see the forest for trees sometimes.
    Finally, I am making a dedicated scrolling station. I have an old kitchen cupboard with three drawers in it. It is just the right hight for scrolling. I am going to bolt my saw to the top, put a set of wheels on the back, keep my blades in the top drawer, patterns in the middle and some wood in the bottom. Fasten a power bar to it and a magnifying lamp and I will be ready to take it to the fair.
    But first I am going on holidays for a week......has anyone figured out I like to procrastinate yet?
    I think it will help me to keep things neater if I dont have a bench to throw my offcuts on. I may even keep a dust collecter in that bottom drawer. BTW I am buying a new saw this month, so it will need a new home anyway.
    No it isnt a Diamond I have to work a little harder for that.

PS I will rent myself out to clean up shops!
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Hi Carl

I turned a flat-pack computer desk into a scrollsaw station. It works great! Having the space to be able to lay out pieces at the side of the saw is very useful.

Don't forget you'll need space for your radio and a mug of coffee .

My new (second hand) saw should be on its way too, assuming the eBay vendor is as good as his word. Guess what... it is a Diamond. What sort of saw are you going to be buying?

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Are those Record or Stanley handplanes that I see there Gill? Another of my many hobbies is collecting and restoring old handplanes...

Bob
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

The saw

Well Gill, first I want everyone to make note of Gills signature. it is a tough arena
        I have decided I would like a new saw, I am not going for a top of the line model, I dont need a Ferrari to go to the store and buy milk.
        I have given this a lot of thought, and narrowed it down to two models.
        This is fun because I know there will be a brouhaha.
        I don't cut as much wood as many of the scrollers here do. I live in Canada where the cost of saws is much higher than the US. I have no intention of making money with my hobby I just want to make gifts for people and get more people interested in the hobby.

The two models I am looking at are. The Ryobi SC180VS and the Dewalt.
        Now I know the choice for some is obvious, but the price difference here in Canada is also obvious.
        One is $269 and the other is $599, not including the stand, which I wont be needing anyway.
        Most of the things I have cut out so far have been on my Delta VS 16 model, that has served me very well, I will either keep it as a back up or lend it to a friend to get him more involved with scrolling. Right now he is using my old Ryobi 16", which was a chore to use. I feel Ryobi has done a lot to re-engineer their saws.
        I am not going to go into the Dewalt. It has had much support on the site and I will not argue about the quality of it, It is a great saw!

There are a few more things I want to spend my money on so I need to stretch the dollars. I want to get a digitizing tablet to trace photos to make patterns. I want a dust collection system to replce the system I have now..... The furnace kicks in, sucks the dust upstairs and my wife wipes it off the furniture.
        Well I am at the mercy of the readers now. HAVE FUN
        Last edited by CanadianScroller; 06-30-2005, 08:24 AM.
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Hi Bob

There’s a Record #7, a Stanley #4½, a Stanley #5, a Record bull-nose with a detachable front bit and a Stanley block plane (#122A ?) with adjustable mouth. At least, I think that’s what they are – I’m not very good at remembering numbers.

All of them are second hand tools I picked up from auction and all cut superbly. I tend to use the #4½ and the block plane more than the others.

Care to tell us a bit more about how you restore old planes?

Gill
          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianScroller

PS I will rent myself out to clean up shops!
            Carl - why don't you come to Michigan for vacation - you can clean my shop for me!!

Gill - your space is just too clean! Are you sure you cut there? I can't even see any sawdust on your chair cushion!! ~ OK - I am just jealous of your area! ~

Theresa
            Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Gill,

I pick them up at auctions, etc. I flatten the soles, replace the irons, clean up the frogs, make sure all the parts work, and sometimes replace the handles--you Brits must have smaller hands than we Americans. Unless I make bigger hangles for the back, I get enormous blisters right at the junction of my thumb and index finger...

That's about it...just love to get them working properly again. No finish can match a planed and scraped surface treated wiht an oil finish with a few coats of wax...I can get the surfaces to shine like wet silk!

Bob
              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
                ... I flatten the soles, replace the irons, clean up the frogs, make sure all the parts work, and sometimes replace the handlesBob
                Sounds like me when I go golfing
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Carl

I know you like to keep feeding the fire on the scrollsaw subject and I haven't figured out why yet You are comparing apples to oranges when you are comparing them and you know that. So I wish you wouldn't put both those saws in the same sentence.

Gill

I like yor setup and have noticed you sit on a chair instead of a stool. The reason I bring it up, is that a comfortable position for your arms when scrolling. It looks to me it is a little too low. I always found it more comfortable when my elbows were even with the table and not hanging below. Just curious.
                  John T.

Comment

Gill,

That is just so wrong! You need to live more up to a real woodcrafter and let me come over and dump some sawdust on the floor, window, books...etc. That'll make you feel more like a true wood artist!

Comment

JT, you crack me up with the scrollsaw debate, I was going to type Ryobi and Dewalt in the same sentence but...oops to late.

Gill, I maintain a clean shop, I mean my kids maintain my clean shop but yours is borderline OCD, maybe all that punk rock music from your radio just blows the dust off everything and out the window.
                      Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

What sort of slobs am I keeping company with here on this forum ?!?!

Come on folks - let's see your working environments!

I reckon you're right, John - I'm sitting too low when I scroll and long term there's got to be the risk of RSI. There'll be a stool appearing in the shop soon. I'd make one myself, but that would rank me alongside 'proper' woodworkers. Perish the thought!

Gill

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
                          What sort of slobs am I keeping company with here on this forum ?!?!

Gill
                          I would post pictures of mine but I think there is a rule about being rated PG or something.
                          I may get the courage up to post when I get back from holidays. In the mean time you can have peace and quiet while I am gone
                          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Carl is the balde release on the Ryobi you are looking at better than your current Delta? If not why would you not choose another Delta?
                            Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

My Mess

Originally posted by Gill

Okay, here is part of my finishing area. I hope to build a dedicated room just for finishing sometime in the next year or so. I don't have any pics of my shop.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                                That is...
                                Today, 08:15 AM
                              • Jimern
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jimern
                                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                                Today, 06:29 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X