The finished product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The finished product

Well after working on the weekend I got it done.
    I decided not to redo the mistake. I am sure there are others in the project too
    It was fun to do and I have learned lots.

Number one thing I learned....... I have NO business sense!

I orignally estimated $80, but that was in 1/8 inch veneers.
    The change to 1/2 " was my choice.
    I spent as much time making the pattern as I did cutting it out.
    The wood cost me $13. I have some left over for another project.
    Probably spent 20 hours on the project.

Mind you if I took a 20 hour course on woodworking it would cost me more than the $80 I was going to charge.

Well the bottom line is I am upping my price, which is OK with the person who commissioned it.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Carl:

I like that. You did good on that effort. I hope the new owner understands just how much effort you put into that.

However, about what you charged:
    I have to say, JUST FOR THE CUTTING the $80.00 could be considered fair in some places. If I understand your post, you spend about 10 man-hours just cutting.

So, you have 10 hours or so on the computer doing the design and layout of pattern. You most likely have 1 hour in obtaining the supplies and raw stock. Give it another 2 hours for stock prep, sanding, and attaching pattern. And don't forget the time applying a finish, call it another hour. I therefore come up with 14 man-hours un-funded. (we are leaving out cost of doing business like rent, accountants, utilties, machine tool costs, replacement of expendables, office support, computer H/W and S/W, and so forth.)

Hmmm, If you were to charge say $80.00 plus something for the other 14 hours......

Phil

Comment

Told you I had the business sense of a gnat
      Good jub I like scrolling.
      I will get $100 for the project. that is more than I started with.
      But I could use a good business manager!
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Business sense

Last Christmas I made a fretwork jewelry box, from 1/4 inch oak, for a friend to give his daughter as a gift. When I delivered it another friend wanted one. By the time Chrismas had rolled around I had built over a dozen and sold them at $40.00 a pop!! Considering time and materials, even with stack cutting, I figure I made way less than minimum wage and developed a strong dislike for jewelry boxes. The real profit came after Christmas when several folks told me how much their daughters/wives liked their gifts. I suppose it ain't always about money!!
        If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

That looks pretty sharp Carl! This isn't a critique, but did you contimplate using a felt backing instead of the wood?
          Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

background

I had first thought of using a piece of the Hannah Tartan but I didnt have any.
            Light blue would have been the colour for felt.
            The bookmatched oak was exactly the right width for the frame. I just trimmed the ends to fit.
            I dont like buying stuff when I has so much junk to get rid of at home
            Which is why it was tough to buy the maple.

wait a minute, maybe there is some Scott in me
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

We might have to have words if you're busting on us Scots! The only reason we haven't taken over the world is that the best peat for Scotch is already in Scotland!

Bob DUNCAN (Clan Donegal)
              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Quote from the movie Braveheart, "The problem with Scotland, is that they have to many Scots".
                Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Denna be daft Lad, If it were nay for the scots we would nay have Scotch Eggs, Scotch tape or hop scotch.

Originally posted by BobD
                  We might have to have words if you're busting on us Scots! The only reason we haven't taken over the world is that the best peat for Scotch is already in Scotland!

Bob DUNCAN (Clan Donegal)
                  CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Well I understood about half of that Carl, but what I caught was worthy of a laugh.

Lets not forget Butter Scotch candy and Mr. Scott from Star Trek (he was Scottish I think).

Todd (Clan of American Mutts)
                    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Very nice, Carl .
                      -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

I like that, Carl .

Being English, I regard the Scots as essential members of society, if only to give everyone else a sense of superiority.

Gill (running for the hills - the Welsh hills!)
                        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Gill

You crack me up!
                          It is a good job that most people from UK have a good sense of humour.

As for the Scots. I have tasted their whiskey, tasted their haggis and played their pipes. I have played golf, worn argyle sweaters and have even worn a kilt.
                          I will not admit to ever listening to the Bay City Rollers, and I will never divulge what is worn under the kilt.

I think Pink Floyd said it best

"Aye an' a bit of Mackeral settler rack and ruin Ran it doon by the haim, 'ma place. Well I slapped me and I slapped it doon in the side and I cried, cried, cried."

"The fear a fallen down taken never back the raize and then Craig Marion, get out wi' ye Claymore out mi pocket a' ran doon, doon the middin stain picking the fiery horde that was fallen around ma feet. Never he cried, never shall it ye get me alive ye rotten hound of the burnie crew. Well I snatched fer the blade. O my Claymore cut and thrust and I fell doon before him round his feet."

"Aye! A roar he cried frae the bottom of his heart that I would nay fall but as dead, dead as 'a can be by his feet; de ya ken?...and the wind cried back."

In English...
                          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                            Reply to New tools
                            by jim_mex
                            Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                            Today, 11:14 PM
                          • Hobbyhorse
                            Reply to New tools
                            by Hobbyhorse
                            Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                            Today, 11:03 PM
                          • Hobbyhorse
                            Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                            by Hobbyhorse
                            Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                            Today, 10:58 PM
                          • KarlB
                            Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                            by KarlB
                            Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                            Today, 09:41 PM
                          • KarlB
                            Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                            by KarlB
                            Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                            Today, 09:31 PM
                          Working...
                          X