programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• programs

I was just wondering if there are any free programs or programs to try before you buy on making patterns.

Thank you
    Kevin
    When you hit rock bottom the only answer is to look up

I assume you mean making patterns from photos. Sounds like most people, like me, use a general-purpose graphics program and manipulate the contrast and brightness and maybe use a program-defined filter. You probably have one or more of these if you ever bought a scanner or a digital camera, or even just a computer. Adobe Photo Deluxe is one that I know I got two or three times with various hardware purchases. Many people use that one. I've used it, too, and it works well, though now I like to use Adobe Photoshop Elements, which I paid for.

If you're like most people, you probably have dozens of programs that came with your computer with no explanation and that you've never tried. Poke around your Program Files (or use the Start Menu->Programs) or your Applications if you're on a Mac, and see if any titles sound graphics-y. Don't be afraid to click away and poke around.

One thing to try is GIMP, a freeware Graphic Image Manipulation Program that's associated with GNU. You can download it at http://www.gimp.org/ I present no warranties as I've done little more with it than to start it up and look.

Comment

Software I have found

There are lots of shareware freeware programs, depending what you want to do.

Connected lines allows you to trace over a picture.
      AlgoLab's Photo Vector is a great program that will convert photos into lines that can be manipulated.
      Serif has several programs that are free. I have used the draw program to trace over photos like the connected lines principle. They also let you manipulate photos with PhotoPlus
      I use the full version of the Desktop Publishing software to creat word art.
      Rapid Resizer is a program designed for designing patterns from bmp and jpg line art.
      Alchemy Mindworks has software to manipulate and covert almost any format to another format. There is even a trace function for JPG.

Not shareware but not expensive is Me on Pumpkin an automated program that posterizes a portrait

Hope this helps
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
        Reply to New tools
        by jim_mex
        Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
        Yesterday, 11:14 PM
      • Hobbyhorse
        Reply to New tools
        by Hobbyhorse
        Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
        Yesterday, 11:03 PM
      • Hobbyhorse
        Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
        by Hobbyhorse
        Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
        Yesterday, 10:58 PM
      • KarlB
        Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
        by KarlB
        Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
        Yesterday, 09:41 PM
      • KarlB
        Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
        by KarlB
        Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
        Yesterday, 09:31 PM
      Working...
      X