S-t-u-p-i-d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-t-u-p-i-d

My friends I have just reached a new low. I have only been scrolling since January, and since then I have completed a few projects which I have broke during final touch-up sanding or just careless handling...but now for the new low.

I completed an excellent (in my opinion) Big Horn Ram (pattern by Gary Browning) a few days ago and I have been primping, sanding, staining and putting finish coat after finish coat on it. I even took this lovely item into the house away from the sawdust contaminated air within the workshop to insure a nice lovely finish.

This afternoon (4:30pm), I arrive home from work and my first thought is to put that last touch of sand paper to my work and finish it off with it's fifth and final coat of finishing spray. Being the sunny and wonderful day it was I sanded, sprayed and then put it on newspaper and placed it upon the toolbox on the back of my truck to be in a dust free, warm location....can you guess what happened?

5:00 pm arrives, I have been tinkering around the house, but wait it is time for me to go, I am coaching my son's Litlle League Team and practice with a game following starts in 30 minutes. I hoot loudly and get the wee ones motivated, son is dressed, all baseball gear accounted for, got my keys, lets go!

Our team puts a glorious whopping upon the visitors (but everyone is a winner).

I get home at roughly 8:30pm and my first thought is to dodge the wife as she is planting and weeding one of HER glorious flowerbeds. I make it without a hitch to the workshop, and now the search begins. "Where in blue frog nuts is my latest project?" I search high and I search low, I question the wife and I question the kids. I even went as far as to question my work shop helper Dudley (my German Shorthaired Pointer) to see if he ate it or hid it from me in some weird K-9 sense of protest for not feeding him the really good food.

I search the house, I search the garage, I contemplate that a thief broke in during my absence and stole the thing (leaving all the tools, stereo etc.)

Then reality hits...I think I left the thing on my truck! I hop on the four wheeler and hussle down the road, whoa I hit the brakes there it is! I hop off the four wheeler and go into the ditch...I find the newspaper it was sitting on but nothing else.

My project is gone.

I come home rather dejected, apologize to the wife, kids and yes even to Dudley. I forgot to take my project off the truck prior to rushing off for the practice/game (did I mention we slayed the other team?).

By my best account I spent more time then I ever have on any project as I did this one, I wanted it to be as perfect as it could get. I thought of all the major things that make a project so great, but I failed to remember it is the little things that count, like taking your project off your truck before you rush away.

Label me S-T-U-P-I-D!
    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Hi Todd

Do you mind if I label you H-U-M-A-N instead? It's good of you to tell us this story and I'm sure it's one that we can all relate to. I can't recall having made a mistake quite like that (let's face it, as far as mistakes go, that's a doozy!) but I've certainly laid out freshly oiled pieces carefully, only to forget that opening a door will produce sufficient draft for them to be blown all over the room . We learn from incidents such as these.

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

lessons learned

That is certainly a heart breaker!
      We have all done something like that at one time or another.
      My son gave me $60 towards his rent a few months ago. I was in a hurry and put it in my pants pocket.
      When I went to retrieve it in the store.... well I think the Borrowers came and used it.
      The consolation of your story is that perhaps someone has picked up the piece and is admiring the work of a craftsman.
      We all do scrolling because we enjoy scrolling. You have had the pleasure and experience of making a fine project, Nothing can ever take that away from you.
      My condolances.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Todd,

I'm so sorry to hear about your project...I'm sure you're really beating yourself up, but we all make mistakes!!!
        Bob
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Rivari,

I'm in a "I can top that mode." Our first born child, was left on top of the car in his car seat after a visit to the Mall. We only got backed up out of the parking spot when my wife yelled out, "Where's Caleb!!!!!" Where? Sleeping in the sun on top of the car... that's where!

We all make mistakes that make us human, we feel bad, learn from them, then move on. By the way, Caleb is now 11 yrs. old and last Saturday won the Jr. Division at the "Heart of Ohio Scrollers" picnic/competition.

Comment

Yes, I was pretty bummed out about this little mishap and now I have finally reached the point where I am now just laughing at myself. If anything good has come of this it is that someone obviously found it laying there and took it home. I like to think it is gracing their mantle, sadly though they have no idea of the pattern creator or the person who cut it and I'll go as far to assume they don't even know the process in which it was made (by scroll saw).

Grizz, you left the kid on the car!
            Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Sorry for you loss...

but you will do better cutting the next time you make that project.

Phil

Comment

Yes we all make mistakes and we all have stories and just hope we learn from them because if you do the exact same thing again then the stupid name fits. We may make a variation of the mistake because we are trying to improve but that is acceptable.

I would like to take a step back into the original post that I read and found troubling. You say you were toilling over this and getting ready to put the fifth coat on. I have to ask why so many coats of any finish. Ussally 2 to 3 coats of anything is more than enough even if it will be handled. Sanding between all these coats is just asking for problems. You should try and look into waterbase lacquers. Looks and feels great and no sanding between coats because one coat melts into the next and not like poly where it lays on top and you need a scratch coat. Just an observation. You are working too hard man.
                John T.

Comment

John, I am currently using a Varathane spray and I was just following directions as the can stated. The sanding I do between coats is not time consuming at all as it only takes a few seconds. The fifth coat was needed on this piece as I didn't think it had the luster I was looking for (I tend to spray this stuff like it was made of gold, so I go so lightly)

As for working to hard I haven't found scrolling to be even close. Now doing a twelve mile road march with 90 pounds of rucksack on my back and trying to stay in front of my troops....well thats work.

And yes I am doing the project again, I will start in the next hour, and I plan to hook my truck keys to it once I am done so the same mistake does not occur again.
                  Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Todd

One thing when spraying with any poly or any spray can you want to get the proper spraying tecnique. Because if you spray too lightly you have a tendency to get an orange peel effect because the spray bounces off. You need to see an even wet coat and believe me 3 coats is enough. If it does not shine and you are using a high gloss you definitly are spraying too light and too far away and you are getting a mist and not an even spray. I am not trying to be critical here but thought I could help and cut down on the finishing time and use it more for the fun part scrolling.
                    John T.

Comment

Originally posted by jttheclockman
                      Todd

I am not trying to be critical here but thought I could help and cut down on the finishing time and use it more for the fun part scrolling.
                      I am all about taking advice for improvement. And I think adjusting my technique shouldn't be a big deal. I have that spray paint mind set and worry about pooling or running.
                      Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your loss as well. But on the bright side you get to have all the fun of doing it again. And this time you can make the improvements that you didn't think to make the first time around. I usually get something cut and then think "Man I wish I would have done this or that."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                          by will8989
                          The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                          Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market
                          by will8989
                          Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                          Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                        • tgiro01
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by tgiro01
                          Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                          Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                        • Linda In Phoenix
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                          Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                        • Linda In Phoenix
                          Reply to Plastic puzzle
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                          Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                        Working...
                        X