Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design contest

Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to remind you about the Design Contest we're having for Scroll Saw Workshop. For details, click on the Best Project Design Contest banner on the right column or click here http://www.scrollsawer.com/Best-Proj...gn-Contest.php

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

I just got word on some of the prizes in the design contest. We'll be updating the website soon--but the value of the prizes is up over $3,000!

The grand prize winner will get a new Excalibur EX21, a complete Sand Flee System, Flying Dutchman Blades, a woodburning kit from Colewood, gift certificates from Steebar, Woodcraft, and Fox Chapel Publishing, and $250 cash!

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Sounds like some fine prizes Bob.
      Hope you have a great turn out for the Design Competition!

Comment

Hi Bob

Who retains copyright of patterns submitted in this competition?

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Bob,

I don't, but seems like the 'Professional' designers are way ahead of us beginner's. Is there a Novice division?

Comment

Gill,
            I asked Shannon Flowers, our Magazine Editorial Manager, to address your question.

Grizz, I wouldn't consider you a novice (based on what I see of your work). Submit! We are not only looking for THE BEST new designer, we are also looking for new designers we can look to for future projects!

Bob
            www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

There is one thing I hope would come out of this and that is a new design or lack of a better word a new type of scrolling projects. What i am getting at is it is fine for a new clock pattern or intarsia pattern or segmentation pattern. But a new style. I will give you examples. You had the collapsible basket patterns then it went the layered baskets, then the layered baskets using one piece of wood and so on. You have the portrait thing then there is the scenes on the saws. You have the intarsia thing and now that is geared to animals. If you know what I am trying to say. I hope someone comes along with a fresh style. A style popular today seems to be puzzles. 3D work was popular and to some extent and still is.

I am not that talented so I can only sit back and watch but I am hoping that will be the true mark of this contest. There are many talented designers out there. A new style that would be great. Good luck to all.
              John T.

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
                Grizz, I wouldn't consider you a novice (based on what I see of your work). Bob
                Bob, I've only been scrolling since last October. I just now trying to figure how to do some simple things on my own. Gary Browning told me that Fox is going have grand opening and that he may have a class on Portaits. I'm here for that! Just need to know the dates so we can try to manipulate a vacation for it.

anyway, I'm very much a Novice with this design thing.

Comment

jttheclockman...

I"ve got a thought or idea, maybe with enough of us we can come up with a new form for scrolling.

My thought is leaning in the realm of 'extruding' peices up or out of another object. Maybe call it Imergence. CAn't quite explain it. It might be something like a 3 sided pyramid... you can picture it in your head, but in reality it can't be done.

Comment

Grizz

Not quite sure what you mean but can tell you there is a person out there that does 3D Castles from wood burls. I hope I am correct in the facts but I know he is a member here or Bob can get hold of him and he can help. I am pretty sure it is Wayne and Jacob Fowler. I met them at the Pennsylvania picnic and they had some unbelievable pieces. These castles litterally rise out of a piece of wood.
                    John T.

Comment

Castles

Those castles are great JT. I really admire those.
                      I have a friend who cuts pueblo type cities from rough round branches using the same technique. I will see if I can get a picture of one of them for the forum.
                      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Jim Stirling actually wrote a book on them...I think it's called Scroll Saw Castles...Fox Chapel carries it...

But I'll see if I can get him to stop by the board!
                        Bob
                        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Copyright - Design Contest

I apologize for taking so long to respond to the copyright question. I was having a problem with my login and kept getting sidetracked while trying to resolve the issue. I ended up just creating a new profile.

The copyright of the pattern remains with the designer. Just like with projects that we publish in the magazine - the artist is granting the right for us to publish the pattern. The copyright always remains with the artist. The winning entry does grant the right for SSW to use the pattern in an upcoming article but they retain all copyrights on the pattern itself.

Hope that clears things up!

Comment

contest

I too am really excited about this contest,ever since an email I recieved that told me about this upcoming contest. I also am what would be refered to as a novice,or even two scales below that. Drawing a stickman is really about my extent of artistic ability,but I did draw up two things that actually made me think to myself that I CAN design something.however,my work is nowhere the caliber of a Nelson, or Boelman,or K. Wise. Winning a grand prize may be out of the question for me,although winning over $3k in prizes for being the grand prize winner sure sounds attractive. Or,did I read something wrong,are there $3 k in total prizes,split up into like a 1st,2nd 3rd,and other categories? Either way, I'm planning on entering.
                            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Question for Bob or Shannon about the Contest

Hey Bob and/or Shannon,
                              Regarding the contest, does the design have to be never-before-seen? I'm cutting something that might work, but if I post a pic of the cutting does that preclude me from entering it in the design contest?
                              Thanks,

Kevin
                              Kevin
                              Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                              Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X