Some new work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some new work

Here's a dulcimer soundboard I've just cut. The big character on the right is "happiness" (Xi) and the ones on the left are "virtue" (De), "luck" (Fu) and "love" (Ai). The Xi character is made of butternut.

I spray-glued the butternut to the underlying cedar and bevel-cut the outside outline of the character to inlay the butternut into the cedar. Then I glued a reinforcing 1/16" plywood piece to the underside of the area, set the saw back to 90 degrees, and cut out the piercings. The characters on the left also got a plywood backer to help with the short grain parts, as this is going to be a playable instrument, not a wall hanging. Imagine a fretboard of walnut with silver frets right down the middle -- I'll post a photo later of the finished instrument. A bigger closeup of the scrollwork can be seen at my web site listed in my sig below.

Steve

Nice woodworking. Sorry I do not understand the instrument or the symbols but the scrollwork looks first rate. Good to be able to apply an artform into a passion of yours.
    John T.

Comment

I'm in need of a language lesseon here ...

Respect, luck and love equal happiness?

Things don't always translate, but it's my best attempt.

Comment

"respect" is an interesting translation for that first character "de". I was introduced to it as "virtue", which I take to mean something like "morality".

My idea was that you need each of those things, goodness, love, and a little bit of luck, to be happy. Other things can help, but those things are necessary (the luck part may only refer to not having 'bad' luck, but that's good luck, too, isn't it?) So this dulcimer is presenting a bit of my philosophy along with my musical ideas.

Comment

Thanks for the translation ... I'm always interested (not to mention a little careful) regarding Chinese/Japanese translations. They don't always work out the way one would expect, but they are always interesting.

Comment

Steve:

That will look real nice with a good mellow finish.

You planning on a shellac finish padded on? Or a honey shellac base #1 lb base coat with a couple of thin spay coats of Deft Clear Gloss? Or are you a fan of satin finish to make give it a mellow "speak softly" look instead of the brassy-bold gloss look?

Phil

Comment

I have to admit I'm a sucker for some gloss. I have been wavering lately between Deft and Waterlox, the latter being a tung-oil based varnish that really works easily and dries very hard and strong. With the oil, I do shellac the soundboard first with a "spit coat" to keep the oil from soaking in too much and making it heavy, with bad results for the sound.

I have to admit that in most recent times the determining factor is how soon the next show is. The Waterlox takes 24 hours between coats, and needs five or six coats. Then it smells bad for a week. The Deft needs three or four coats at 30 minute intervals, and hardens right up. The looks are different, and I like them both.

Comment

Deft Finish

Steve and/or Phil....I've heard a lot about the Deft product, even back in my bird carving days but never used it because I painted my carvings with acrylics. I'm looking for a nice finish for my portraits that will work well over stained wood and not give me a high gloss surface. I would like to use a clear gel finish but there are too many inside cuts in my work not to mention many extremely small pieces that make gel impractical. Does Deft come in a matte finish and would it finish out similar to a gel? Also will it work applied over stain? I've tried several different polyurethane sprays but have yet to achieve that "rich" finish that brings the colors to life. Any suggestions???
                If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Deft Sub topic:

Neal:

1st Deft is not a varnish, it is a lacquer. If you have never used it be warned, it is, as they say in college organic chemistry, aromatic. Loosely translated: it will stink up you shop, house, backyard and even you flower bed. Don't even try it without the painter's breather mask by 3M. The mask runs about $25.00 to $30.00 USD.

You don't thin it with paint thinner, you must buy the more expensive lacquer thinner. Oh and Deft is getting harder to find in the BIG box home improvement stores due to the problems of VOC emissions.

Deft, and other lacquer finishes, are known to have problems with brushing on, but are great for air brush, spray, and spay can applications. Well not realy problems with brushing, more of being finicky and more demanding than poly varnish.

If you go with the spray can, practice a bit before applying to your project. Say about 1/3 to 1/2 of a can.

Yes, I have seen Deft in "satin" finish but semi-gloss may be more common. But somewhere I have a magazine article (I think it was in WoodSmith) that suggested you use gloss Deft, let it cure for 3 or 4 days and then get from an automotive store some 1000 grit or 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper (rottenstone works also) and with water scuff up the finish. That way you control the degree of satin finish. (Just a rumor; satin finish in deft, mfg adds very fine sand to the can.)

Asides:
                  - Besides Deft, Sherwin-Williams stores carry a house brand lacquer finish that some like.
                  - There is now several water based lacquer finishes available from on-line woodworking stores as well as Woodcraft and Rockler stores.
                  -Once you try it, and get beyond the fussy nit-picky difficulties, you will really enjoy it. Then you might branch off and start putting down a shellac base coat, rubbing out the lacquer coats, and end up with a 6 inch shine.
                  (place a ruler on-end against the finish, read the reflection in the finish; if you can see clearlly the 1/16 inch marks beyond any whole inch mark, the last whole inch mark is the sine dept, anything over 4 inches is LOTS of work.)

Phil

PS: It is un-gentlemanly to announce you will be applying Deft as a ploy just to have the house to yourself. You might just well get the house to yourself, but you should actually apply Deft to something, not just watch the NBA playoffs without interruptions.

Comment

Thanx Phil....I'll probably shy away from the deft due to the "aromatic" nature. My shop is in my basement and I stay in enough trouble with my girlfriend just from the odor of stain in the air!! I appreciate the info though.

Comment

Here's the finished instrument in closeup:

and the long view:

While the back has no scollery, it's a rather cool board of sycamore:

Comment

Good Lord, WOW!!!

Phil

Comment

Incredible

Gorgeous work there Steve!
                          That is the difference between a Luthier and a scroller.
                          Both of us can make sawdust, yours Has a Sweet Sound when it is done.
                          Hats off!
                          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Breathtaking, Steve!!
                            What a fine example of your art. The characters are done really neat, and you're right, even the back is a work of art. I hope it gets a good home.
                            Sandy

Comment

That's a beauty Steve....fine craftsmanship is evident throughout. I never knew that sycamore had such beautiful figure!!! We had to remove two real giant sycamores from my late Mom's back yard last year. Had I known what beautiful wood it was I would have had some sawn up and dried.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X