Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzle

On an other forum there is a tread about some nice puzzles. Thought that it would be nice for some on this forum to try this:

It is 1-3/4 x 1-3/4 x 3inches. It can be done with a scroll saw but you need very good rention on the blade. The table has to be 100% square with the blade and let the blade do the cutting.
    Mike M
    SD Mike

Neat!I really like that!!!

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I've been doing those for a while. I found the basic idea in a little book called "Wonders in Wood" that dates back to the thirties, I think. I have some others (not shown) that use shapes other than the abstract jigsaw puzzle.

I tie them up with ribbon and stick a hook into the ribbon so they can hang on a xmas tree. The ornaments become puzzles when you take off the ribbon. I call them "Puzzlements" I definitely second Mike's comments about tension, squareness, and not pushing. However, if you do it just a little off-square, then the pieces will only fit one way. If it's too slightly off-square then it *seems* like it can go either way and the pieces jam and get broken.

Comment

I've posted this elsewhere but not here. This Furniture Puzzle is simple to make - and really pretty easy to put together. It's not so much a puzzle as an intriguing novelty with eleven pieces of furniture that fit together.

Carter

Comment

Wow, Carter!!
          Way cool. I'm guessing you're cutting first one way, then the other, right? Really nifty. (You would know how really impressed I am with that if you could see how many times I've had to go back and correct excited mis spellings)
          Sandy

Comment

I put step-by-step photos of this "puzzle" under the heading "Furniture Puzzle Plan" on the following forum...........

http://wmyoung.proboards23.com/index.cgi?board=saw

Have phun.....Carter

Comment

Here is the instructions how to cut the doll furniture puzzle:

Mike M
              SD Mike

Comment

Great puzzles

WOW! Steve your "Puzzlements" are great. I make the basic puzzles for my Granddaughter, but these would be good for her dad. Would there be anyway I could get my hands on the patterns or do you just make them up?

- Bill
                -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

As far as the jigsaw cubes are concerned, I just freehand two pencil lines (defining three jigsaw pieces) on each of two adjecent sides. That way each puzzle is unique. I cut them from 1-3/8" cubes, so the cutting is slow and I find I need a line to focus on, rather than trying to free saw. It makes it look neater if you divide the top and bottom edges into thirds and start and end your line at those marks. That makes the top and bottom an even tic-tac-toe pattern.

The puzzlement on the left in the picture is a 4-piece made by drawing just one line down each side.

In either case, make sure you make the bulb or tab sufficiently wider than its neck that the kerf doesn't erase the difference. With such a thick block, you'll want to use a hefty blade, but don't go too far that way or the block will "jingle" because the pieces fit loosely with each other.
                  Last edited by PiALaModem; 05-21-2005, 08:40 AM. Reason: grammatical and syntactic solecisms

Comment

By the way, the furniture puzzle is also featured in "Wonders in Wood" (1946), which is still in print and available. In addition to a lot of those multi-piece geometric "burrs", the book features "impossible" joints and other fun stuff. Only some items are relevant to scroll sawing, however. The same author is responsible for a similar book entitled "Puzzles in Wood" which is even older, and appears to be out of print.

Comment

Thanks Steve, I'll try one and see how I do. Would a FD#12 balde be too big or should I use a #9?

Thanks again,
                      -Bill
                      -Bill

Comment

I've never used bigger than a #5, on these. I prefer a #2. You don't want a big kerf, or the thing wants to fall apart.

Comment

OK, a #5 balde. I'll try that, thanks.
                          -Bill
                          -Bill

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                            Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                            by NC Scroller
                            My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                            Today, 07:42 AM
                          • will8989
                            by will8989
                            None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                            Today, 12:20 AM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                            The bags seem easier on the surface.
                            But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                            Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                            by will8989
                            Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                            Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                          • Sandy Oaks
                            by Sandy Oaks
                            As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                            Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                          Working...
                          X