Photo Gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Gallery

I see we have a new member and goes by the name BRI. WELCOME I just checked out this person's photo gallery that they just posted and have to say there is some beautiful work there. Well done!! I particularly like the "tree of life" can you give us a little insight as to what woods were used and what is the background and what finish was used. I bet that was time consuming.

While you are at it can you give us a little of your background. What is your name and how long have you been scrolling. What kind of sazw do you use? I like it when new people give us a little insight of themselves. Also if you have any questions or just want to add something or start a new topic please do so because at times we get a little stale and fresh ideas are always welcomed.
    John T.

BRI:

Very well done on that Tree of Life firescreen.

The date on one of the photo's is from 1995, is that correct??

Phil

Comment

Hi - I've updated my profile now! Thanks for your comments. The dates wrong on the photo - think its actually about three years old. I designed the tree of life myself for my wife. Had to cut it in two halves and join the wood but I'm not keen on the dividing line that's left. Plan to re-cut soon as a picture but reduce the size without the join. All the wood I use is 3/4" pine which I then dye. Hardwood over here is expensive and so I started making my own frames which are deep enough to take the depth of the pine. I use a Diamond scroll saw with a 24" depth.
      Bri

Comment

Beatles

Hi Bri

You've made some impressive pieces. My other half is a big fan of the Beatles and I'd love to cut him something like your portraits of the band. Where did you get the patterns?

By the way - you have my sympathy about the cost of hardwood. Until very recently, I couldn't even find a supplier! I had to use MDF from the local B&Q - I refused to use their pine after spending a fruitless day trying to plane it square.

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Bri

Is that your name or a handle of some sort?? Now you say you used a Diamond scrollsaw. I have never heard of this one. You say over here where is over here?? Without having to go to your profile where are you from? Can I ask a favor of you if you can to post a picture of your scrollsaw. I am interested in what it looks like. Is it a top feeder or a bottom feeder?? Or can you do both?? The tree of life is a great pattern but if you reduce it too much it may lose its grandure. Back to the scrollsaw is this a company only found in your neck of the woods??
          John T.

Comment

John T,

Here is a picture of the saw.
            It cuts from 4" to the finest veneers. 1/2 HP motor. With fast change rotating blade holders, will take over 50 types of blades. British made. Don't understand "Rotating".
            BRI is from Liverpool, UK
            It is made by the J.D Woodward company in the UK.
            Mike M
            SD Mike

Comment

Thanks for posting that picture Mike - I've just found my pamphlet on the saw. My saw is as in the photo except that it sits on my workbench minus the frame and seat. If I'm not mistaken I think Diamond placed an add in an early SSW and from personal use I can recommend it as an excellent saw to use.
              John T, you can use the saw as a top or bottom feeder. My name's Brian but everyone calls me Bri, hence the user name and over here is across the pond in the Uk in Liverpool.
              Gill, glad your other half is a fellow Beatles fan. The designs are my own attempts - I've managed to sell a few completed pics locally which was encouraging. Bri

Comment

I've been searching the web for details of JD Woodward but to no avail. I suspect they may no longer be trading; could you comment on that, Bri?

Gill
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Gill,
                  It was issue no.13 of SSW that Diamond placed an ad in. Yes they are still trading but the website is currently under re-construction. Apparently they have not advertised widely as demand has been high without it. If you would like the address its :- J.D.Woodward
                  Power Tool Engineer
                  7 Higham Way,
                  Burbridge, Hinckley,
                  England LE10 2PU
                  Hope this helps, Bri

Comment

Hi Bri

Hinckley's only about 25 miles from me ! It's about time I indulged in a little retail therapy...

Thanks for that info.

Gill

Comment

Mike

Thanks for the picture. That looks like some kind of unique saw. It still is a parrellel arm saw so it cannot be zero degree deflection up and down. Not being able to actually see the blade supports it looks like any other scrollsaw except it has the adaptability to use different length blades I guess is what they are saying. !/2 hp motor is quite large for a scrollsaw. Guessing it is an AC motor set-up From your phottos BRIAN it looks like it does deliver in the accuracy dept for sure. Keep up the fine work and look forward to seeing more of your work.
                      John T.

Comment

Bri-

How would I see your work, I don't see any path to your gallery. Your saw does look quite unique

Thanks,
                        -Bill
                        -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

Bill,

Check under Bri's name in the Scroller Galleries (third link under scrolling community in the left hand column). Awsome work Bri! I love the fireplace screen!!!

Bob Duncan
                          Scroll Saw Workshop
                          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Nice Work

Thanks, Bob. WOW! Bri sure dose great work. Being an old Beatles fan I do like the "four lads that shook the world" one. Thanks for sharing, Bri. I hope to be that good someday.

-Bill
                            -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                              Bruce, the one on probation
                              by will8989
                              is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                              Today, 12:59 AM
                            • will8989
                              Sundays market
                              by will8989
                              When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                              Today, 12:46 AM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                              by will8989
                              I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                              Today, 12:27 AM
                            • jim_mex
                              Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                              by jim_mex
                              Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                              Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                            • KarlB
                              Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                              by KarlB
                              Very well done!

Karl
                              Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                            Working...
                            X