• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miniwoodworker
    replied
    Thinking outside the box

Have you considered alternatives to locate suitable wood? Such as:

Yard sales and flea markets. There's treasure to the found. Look for anything that you can take apart and use the components for scrolling. A $20 dresser or chest of drawers that doesn't look that great may be hiding oak, poplar, pine, and furniture grade plywood or other useful woods. Often the pieces are just the right thickness, especially the backs and drawer bottoms.

Take the piece apart and saw off unusable portions. It's a good idea to run a metal detector over the salvaged wood to make sure you haven't missed hidden brads or staples.

Also look for metal objects that an be transformed. Flat aluminum pot lids, metal serving trays, mirrors (remove from frame and cut mirror to fit your project) and items made from acrylics.

Convenience centers - I often "dumpster dive" if I spot a discard that has potential.

Woodworking and/or cabinet shops. Some may allow you to cart off their scraps for free or in exchange for helping with a little shop housekeeping.

Discount stores - While picking may be slim, there are opportunities to obtain materials for scrolling. Look for inexpensive objects that you can transform from their intended use to one that fits your needs.

Hope this is some food for thought.

Leave a comment:

• GrayBeard Phil
    replied
    Bigfoot:

Try this link: http://www.woodfinder.com/

This will show you ONLY lumber yards that have signed up at this site.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Bigfoot
    started a topic Searching For Wood In Fort Lauderdale

Searching For Wood In Fort Lauderdale

I live in Fort Lauderdale, can anyone tell me a place to buy wood at a reasonable price. I have Constantines and Woodcraft here but they are expensive when it comes to wood, even finish birch plywood.
    Bigfoot

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• old fa_t
    Reply to Recommendations anyone?
    by old fa_t
    I appreciate the input from everyone but, I need clarify to my work? space. I originally stated my area measures 6'X10' and, it does. But, I only have about 5'X5' of available space and, that's without taking myself into consideration.
    I know from past undertakings, that I can and will confine...
    Today, 09:59 AM
  • Jimern
    by Jimern
    I'll add in some food for thought too. I was unsure if I would enjoy this hobby (addiction) so I started with the Porter Cable from Lowes. I think it is a good entry level saw, 5 months later I found an Excaliber on Craigs List and have been happy ever since.
    Today, 09:33 AM
  • Rolf
    Reply to Farmers market
    by Rolf
    Well that is good news! You really have a nice collection of items love the Wolf. I just might have to make a few pepper mills. And test our market.
    it will be interesting to see how my consignment sales will be. They were this weekend and again next weekend. I will know after that when I pick...
    Today, 09:04 AM
  • Rolf
    by Rolf
    Food for thought, When I first started scrolling my thinking was "all I want to do is this and I will never do that as it doesn't interest me". I didn't know I would be working with SSWWC or get sucked into creating Intarsia or doing large intricate fretwork, like Charles Hand designs....
    Today, 08:54 AM
  • old fa_t
    by old fa_t
    Thank you all for giving me a little more to consider. I thought I had covered everything in my mind until others chimed in!
    At least at this point in life, I'm not under a time constraint.
    Today, 07:37 AM
Working...
X