• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artistic Question on Puzzle

Hi All;

This is just a question on your opinion about art and preferences

But first the background:

Meet someone who supervises at a family restaurant / coffee shop which is part of a large franchise. Twice each summer there is an art/crafts street fair almost in front of this restaurant. Lots of business for coffee shop. They even open up a carry out and sell soft drinks and ice cream. July and August temperature means long lines for both carry out and inside seating.

The idea is this: small table that both lines pass with something trade-marked for restaurant that features the special deserts that this franchise has. The profit margin on soft drinks, strawberry pie, and cake and ice cream are phenomenally huge. The "craft table" outside the reastraunt is get the craft / art show buyer thinking about DESERTS!! (as they wait in line.)

(of course this must be blessed by brass hats at franchise.)

So below I have two types of puzzles:

Type 1:

I cut out just the strawberrys

and Type 2:
    which is more standard version of puzzles.

So, artistic types, which will attract more eyeballs, and get them thinking about strawberry pie?

Thanks to all who respond.

Phil
    Last edited by GrayBeard Phil; 03-04-2007, 09:33 AM.

mmmm strawberries

Wow, being a strawberry pie fan I would have to say just the starwberries, Each individual morsel makes the mouth water.
    I am salivating as I type ,,,,I know not a PRETTY picture!

PS awesome job
    Last edited by CanadianScroller; 04-29-2005, 05:37 PM.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I reckon either would do - choose the one you enjoy cutting the most.

Having just those puzzles outside the restaurant might be a little bit blatant - customers would recognise it as a sales pitch. A more effective technique would be to display them alongside products that induce customers to convince themselves that the notion they want something sweet or fizzy is their own idea. I'd be inclined to include jigsaws like this. The fact that the squirrel in the jigsaw is using a straw will make punters more receptive to the idea of strawberries, and the beer will make them think about buying cold drinks. I'm sure you get the idea .

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Phil....My vote is for the whole pie!!! I don't know much about advertising but I do know what looks good and that pie looks great. I don't even like strawberry pie.....but I'd buy a puzzle!!!
        If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Well, i'd go with puzzle number 2. Why? Can't tell you. Just is the one I'd pick.

Comment

Hey Phil!! I just read my previous reply and realized I really didn't say what I meant to say. I like the one on the right (traditional jigsaw pieces). Like Toni, I don't know why. It just seems to capture my attention right away. That's precisely what you want it to do in your marketing environment!!!
            If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Since your asking, I like the second one as well. Just seems more appealing to the eye.

Good luck to you,

Lin

Comment

I'm voting for the traditional puzzle pieces!

Comment

Hey Phil...

If I were cutting that Strawberry Pie, I would end up with a compromise between your two styles. I would cut most of it, including the border, like regular jigsaw puzzle pieces, but I would also bury 3 - 4 perfect strawberries in the interior. It would attract more attention if you displayed both kinds of pieces - and it would be more fun to put together.

Carter

Comment

Phil,

I agree with Carter--a combination would be Cool!
                    Bob
                    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I was going to vote for the traditional puzzle - until Carter posted. I like his idea better!

It's great to have a forum like this where we can share thoughts and get the best out of it!!

T
                      Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Recant

OK now I have to say I like that better too. Is it me just being a fence sitter. Naw. I just never thought of that.
                        I did do a jigsaw puzzle of a friends child this year for Christmas. I cut the letters of his name out of the puzzle first and then cut the rest of the puzzle as pieces. Isaac thought it was cool, even if the "a"s did look funny.

Strawberries, pies and puzzles. What a treat!
                        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thanks

Thank-you to all who responded.

As I still don't have the skill to free hand a puzzle, I created a cutting pattern with Corel Draw. I am still on the learning curve with Corel Draw. I tried to attach a piece of tracing paper (semi-transparent) and using a pencil to make a cut pattern, but I didn't like the results. If this project ever gets beyond the "waiting for a decision from brass hats" I will try to modify the Corel draw cut pattern with Carter's suggestions.

FYI: I showed the puzzles to a few other people out side the craft. The almost unanimous response was: WHERE'S THE WHIP CREAM???

Just something to thing about.

May be I could add a second layer to the puzzle? Say a ring of Whipped cream stars?

Phil

PS: Below is the Hot Fudge Cake from the restaurant chain I also wanted to turn into a puzzle but the picture quality is too low to use.
                          Last edited by GrayBeard Phil; 03-04-2007, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Phil,

That looks good even blurry! Does that happen to be a Hot Fudge Cake from Big Boy?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• alexscrollsaw
                              It is so cute (Christmas deer)
                              by alexscrollsaw
                              "It is so cute" - it is the first what I hear when I show this project. I haven’t done 3D patterns for a long time (about a year), it’s quite difficult and takes a long time. But I don’t regret the time I spent on this new pattern - Christmas deer, I think it turned out great. It is...
                              Today, 02:03 PM
                            • markdavd
                              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                              by markdavd
                              I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
                              Today, 09:45 AM
                            • NC Scroller
                              by NC Scroller
                              My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                              Today, 07:42 AM
                            • will8989
                              by will8989
                              None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                              Today, 12:20 AM
                            • Linda In Phoenix
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                              The bags seem easier on the surface.
                              But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                              Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                            Working...
                            X