Christmas 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas 2005

What would you say that Carter Johnson is already working on his Christmas puzzles. I just think it is great because he gives them all away.

I had to reduce the size but you can see clearly what he is doing.
    He asked me to post the picture and If anyone likes to know more about the puzzle, just post it here and he will be glad to answer.
    SD Mike

Christmas Puzzles

This is exactly what I want to do. I teach small children and want to use calendars, Christmas card, digital pictures of my children, etc. to make puzzles. What do you use to glue the pictures on the wood? Also, what do you use as a finishing to make these puzzles durable? The main thing are the materials non-toxic? And where do you buy non-toxic finishing for puzzles?
    !
    Sonja

Comment

SonjaRaquel,
      Email Carter Johnson at: [email protected]. He might post it on this site.
      He is the one who made that and many others like it.

Mike M
      SD Mike

Comment

Hi Sonja....To answer your specific questions, my cards are regular Christmas cards to start. I glue them to the wood (poplar, cedar or birch) using Elmer's Carpenters Glue or lately I have been using a white glue called "Tacky Glue". I spray them with any triple-thick glaze spray, but I don't believe it is non-yoxic and therefore save for children's mouths. I'm happy to share any thoughts you'd like. And, by the way, I have 29 done for 05

Carter

Comment

Carter,

What thickness is the wood that you use? After the cutting is there anything else you do with them? For some reason I had the understanding that you then turn the puzzle back into a card? If so, how?

Thanks!!!!

Comment

Hey, Grizzz..Thanks for your questions. Sorry I'm a couple days late with my response.

I buy regular Christmas cards. Each card has a front page with a picture and an inside page with a message. I cut the card in half and mount the front page on 1/4" poplar, cedar or birch plywood. Then I cut around the edges, usually a random wiggly line. I then spray them with any tripple-thick glaze spray. After it dries, I cut the picture into 35 pieces or so, making sure I cut along the image lines within the picture. When it's finished, I sand it, dust it off and put it back together. The second page with the message now becomes the front page covering the puzzle. I cut a piece of colored poster board for the back of the puzzle, put it back in the envelope and it's ready to mail to the recipient, with a personal Christmas message written on the front.

It's fun when the 35 or so people I've been sending these to have saved them for eight years and display them during the holidays.

Carter

Comment

Carter,

Thanks, I understand so much more now.

Comment

Carter, you do great work, what size blades do you use.
                Bob
                Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Hi Carter,

I'm one of the many who really appreciate getting them. I have shown them to many people and they are all on awe of the work you do. The people at the post office could not believe how you ever made that postal puzzle.
                  Thanks Carter.

Mike M
                  SD Mike

Comment

Blades

I use the 2/0 puzzles blades from Mike's Workshop for just about everything I do. Once in awhile I will use an 8/0 jewelers blade for my postage stamp puzzles and occasionally a card, but they break often and, while cutting very fine, are quite slow (and frustrating) by comparison. Mike 2/0s cut very fine and are by far the most relable - and in 1/4 inch wood they last to the point where I begin to feel guilty for not changing them.

Carter

Comment

Carter,
                      I'm sorry to be a bit thick, but what are you sanding after you cut? My saw and blades cut so smoothly that the only sanding I usually do is if I need to round over the edges, and I'm thinking you wouldn't want to be sanding on your glossy coated top.
                      Thanks for sharing so much already.
                      Sandy

Comment

I have a little sander that's shaped like a triangle at it's tip. When I'm done with a puzzle, I lightly sand it's back to get rid of any raised edges. As I cut the pieces for large puzzles (`350 pieces), I cut 30 to 40 pieces at a time and quickly sand each piece before putting those pieces together and adding them to the total.

When sanding is finished (and it doesn't take long), I slap a damp sponge over the front and back to pick up sawdust.

And I'm done. In the case of a big puzzles, I ready to take it apart and count the pieces. The card puzzles I keep assembled.

Carter

Comment

OK - now I think I've gotcha. Thanks!
                          I think I will try to do one, and hope I don't have more questions.
                          Sandy

Comment

More questions are fine....bring 'em on!

I cut 12 stamp puzzles today and I think now I'll go downstairs and cut a Christmas card puzzle (#31) before dinner.

Carter

Comment

Your stamp puzzles - are those postage stamps you are cutting?!! I would love to see one of those!

I want to try one of the Christmas card puzzles - it's on my list of things to do. I just have to get down that far!!
                              T
                              Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Quartz43
                                I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
                                Today, 03:40 PM
                              • hotshot
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by hotshot
                                You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
                                Today, 02:27 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by RJweb
                                I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
                                Today, 01:31 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                                Today, 11:51 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                                Today, 11:39 AM
                              Working...
                              X