Silhouette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silhouette

I am scrolling a 12 X 12 Silhouette of a wolf and would appreciate any advice on cutting, expecially when getting to the end to avoid breakout. I am currently using a 26" Hawk with a ply insert and a no. 5 spiral blade at a speed of about 500. I am not using the hold down foot. I am using 1/4 birch ply.
    Last edited by mrcsw; 03-18-2005, 07:38 PM.

You can do a lot to eliminate breakout on plywood by switching to a blade with reverse teeth.

Will we get a chance to see your work when it's finished? I'm a sucker for anything to do with wolves.

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Splinter

I like to run my saw a little faster than 500 strokes/min. it seems less prone to catch the piece and jerk it around. I like Mikes flying dutchman blades for this kind of stuff, I use really fine blades #1 with lots of teeth. I'm not an expert on this stuff though and I just play around a lot. Good Luck Guy.

Comment

Well there MRCSW you are using one of the finest saws on the market so it should cut itself out. Just kidding. I too have that saw. As far as suggestions not sure what you are looking for but as suggested that speed is too slow for sure. You always want to try to cut at a fast speed that you can control. There is nothing wrong with the spiral blades if that is what you are used to. If not this piece may not be the one to experiment with because of the size. I never could get the hang of them so I do not use them. I would use a #5 double skip tooth revers blade. These are my favorites. Of course they are Mike's Flying Dutchman blades the best on the market. They are the Penguin Silver reverse blades.. The thing I find with spiral blades it will leave more fuzzies on the back . You can try the packing tape trick where you put clear packing tape under the print for easier removale and cutting easier. but you should have no problem with 1/4" and I would even stack at least another on there. This will help in controling the blade better. The thinner you cut a piece the less control you have. Plus you get two for the price of one.
        John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X