Scroller's Gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroller's Gallery

I had just mentioned in another topic about posting pictures of your art projects because that is what started the topic and long and behold Bob reminded or at least put the word out there is a new members gallery for scrollers. There is also a bragging page. I was one for pushing for this on the old site and looks like it has happened. My hats off to you Bob and others that have worked on this site to upgrade and make it a very formable site for sure now.

I have submitted a few photos in my gallery which is JTTHECLOCKMAN. Please feel free to look them over. Any comments or critiquing is always welcome. Any questions I can answer I will do so.

I have included a sample here. These clocks are called the LARAWAY CLOCK and it is a Dan and Ray Wilckens design. The one on the left is oak with rosewood overlays and the one on the right is oak with bloodwood overlays. Again I would like to say thanks to Bob for the work done.

Also I would like to say the photos in the bragging page are great. There are some talented ARTISTS here. Keep them coming.

John T.

JT:

As usual, your work is so good it is beyond my expressing in words.

But please fess up, just how do you cut those symmetrical designs. On these two clocks, the left side is mirrored by the right side. I have no idea how you can cut such visual design, and then accurately mirror cut the other side. You do understand that these two clocks invites looking for errors in symmetrical cutting don't you? And yet I cann't find any, so How Did You Do That?

Whenever I have tried symmetrical disigns, I end up with minor errors in cutting or sanding that stand out to the eye because of the natural impulse to compare the symmetrical flow of the curves.

Your work just amazes me.

Phil

Comment

Phil

Thanks for the kind words. There is no secret to the cutting the same they were stacked cut. Meaning they were cut at the same time. I knew I was making two because I hate to just make one. The overlays hanging on the top and bottom along with the clock faces and underlays under the clock faces were all stack cut. The sides and the top and bottoms were cut individually. I was able to stack those pieces because they are thin enough and wouldn't get any odd cutttings which can happen when you start cutting things 1" or better. That is just the nature of scrolling. Do not sell yourself short you too can do it. It takes practice but every time you scroll a piece you are honing your skills.
      John T.

Comment

Bob D

Now that you have tried many facets of this woodworking thing can we see some finished projects? I am sure you have worked out all the kinks and are ready to show the world what you have learned. Looking forward to seeing your work.
        John T.

Comment

Question--Bob D

Bob

Is there a limit of how many photos that can be uploaded on this site at a given time frame???. It seems I was not able to upload more than 3 photos today because an error kept showing up. I know other photos were uploaded by others too. Or is this a limit thing on my account??
          John T.

Comment

JT,

I'll check with Rob...A couple other people had this problem too...and I think he found a solution!

As for my pieces...I've used the scroll saw mainly to rough out other pieces, but I do want to do a compound cut dragon by Diana Thompson that will appear in the next issue of SSW. And we have plans underway to get a scrolling class here sometime in March. All I have right now are a couple Cats and a fish from John Nelson's book!

Bob
            www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I just changed the settings so you can attach 5 images in a thread.

If you are talking about the "Scroller Galleries" you can upload three images at a time.

Give it a try and let me know if you have any difficulties.

Thanks,
              Rob

Comment

Admin. or Bob D.

Now I am not able to access my album to upload photos. There used to be a a quick link to my page but it is no longer there.Am I doing something wrong?? It used to be in the heading with Home ,search and something else. Whats up??
                John T.

Comment

Cancel

Cancel that last request now it is back. This thing is fickel I tell you.
                  John T.

Comment

ADMIN. or Bob D

Same fatal error message appears on the uploading of photos to my album. Nothing has changed from last night. Standing by for next fix.
                    John T.

Comment

Bob D or Admin.

Bob or Admin.

This is the message I keep getting when uploading photos of different sizes opr one at a time.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1280 bytes) in /www/scrollsawer.com/htdocs/gallery/image-inc.php on line 81

Now what does this mean????
                      John T.

Comment

JT,

The work around to this is to resize your images. Below are some ways you can accomplish this.
                        • Windows XP Users can download a free image resizer by clicking here
                          • Follow the simple installation instructions
                          • Once installed navigate to the image on your hard drive
                          • Right click on the image file name and click resize pictures
                          • Select custom size and enter (480 x 640)
                          • Click the advanced button
                          • Make sure the box "Resize the original Pictures is not checked"
                          • Copy of image will appear in the folder along with the original image
                          • It should have renamed the file with (Small) in the file name
                          • Use the (Small) file to upload
                        • Digital Camera should include software to save images for the web. Read users manual instructions.
                        • Additional free image editing software www.imageresizer.com or www.irfanview.com

Comment

Admin.

I am afraid that is not the answer. I tried loading my smallest file and it still did not load. All other photos are larger than the one I just tried to load. This is the same software that another forum has and I have no problem loading any size photos. Need help!!
                          John T.

Comment

JT,

Please try to post another image. I believe the problem is fixed. I successfully uploaded 2 images. If you do encounter a problem please post the details of the problem so I can research.

Thanks,
                            Rob

Comment

Posting Photos

Rob

I am still having problems loading photos. I just tried to load the smallest photo I have and it is The smaller than any photo that is there already. Here is the message again

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 9437200 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 5120 bytes) in /www/scrollsawer.com/htdocs/gallery/image-inc.php on line 81

I think my album has a restricktion on the amount of space it is allowing me and I am used up if I am reading this. It can not be the size. Like I have said I was able to load photos 3 times as large as the on I just tried. I have tried numerous photos and even ones that are there already but no luck. Appreciate the effort in looking into this.
                              John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• markdavd
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by markdavd
                                I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
                                Today, 09:45 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • will8989
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              Working...
                              X