More intarsia questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More intarsia questions

I'm finally doing something with my St. Bernard pattern...at least I started to do something...before I hit a snag...

What is the best way to cut out the pieces? I started to cut them out with a hobby knife, but that was taking forever, and I lost patience...is there an easier way?

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Bob,

Do you have a scroll saw with good blades?

Mike M
    SD Mike

Comment

Well,

we've got a Hergner, a Hawk and an Excalibur in the shop here at the office...and I haven't figured out which one I like best...actually I've used the hergner most because the lighting in that part of the shop is best. As for blades, I've kinda just played around with the blades we have up in the shop--and I can't even say what kind of blades they are because they aren't in their origional packages

I was actually thinking of contacting you Mike for suggestions on blades (once I get cutting) So far, I've worked my way through John Nelson's Scroll Saw Workbook and roughed out a few carving blanks, but haven't done much else (my office is full of cats and fish from John's book) and now I just want to start cutting (my carvings have been taking too long and I need some immediate gratification)

Unfortunately, my wife saw some of my upcoming articles when I was working from home a few weeks ago and now wants me to make a bunch of jewelry boxes for x-mas presents this year...so I have a feeling my intarsia is going to be put on hold again!

Sorry Mike, a long response to a short question

Short Answer--not sure about my blades. I plan on cutting basswood, walnut, cherry, and perhaps ebony. Most of the wood will be 3/4"-thick.

Bob
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Hi bob I use fdsr#7's best for me

Comment

What jewelery boxes??? Unfair! The only thing I don't like about SSW is that it is so long between issues. Sandy

Comment

Bob -
            Also wanted to ask - do you know of any reason a person couldn't or maybe shouldn't -- make the intarsia projects a lot smaller?? Most of the projects I like are way too big - I was wanting something like 5 x 7 or 8 x 10 - seems there are very few of those little-uns. Besides the pieces being a bit small to cut and fit, would there be any other drawbacks?? I'm assuming one could use wood a bit thinner - a good way to use up some pretty scraps. Thanx

Comment

I second the question - Jewelry boxes?? I have been looking for a good jewelry box pattern for awhile now.... Can you tell us when it will be coming out? (or better yet - do you need someone to try out the pattern for you?? )
              Theresa
              Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

intarsia

What thickness wood are you cutting. Most people use a scroll saw. I can cut 1" softwoods with a #5 blade. Bandsaws work too, but sometimes they don't make the tight turns. I like scrollsaw blade because they are smaller and you usually get a pretty tight fit. -Medic

Comment

hay htere I cut 1'' hardwood with #7 fdsr blades

Comment

smaller intarsia

I like doing most scrolling on a smaller scale. Intarsia would really lend itself to that. Only problem I can foresee is the sanding of very small peices.
                    I use a drum sander on my drill press with a vacuum connected to get rid of the dust. I have had to shut off the vacuum and rummage through the bag to find the odd piece that got sucked away. I will have to build a zero clearance table for the drums and the vacuum.
                    Good luck and keep the sawdust flying!
                    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thanks, Canadian
                      I was wondering if anyone was listening. (to that smaller part) Sounds like you have a pretty efficient set-up. I'll let everybody know if I have any luck with a smaller intarsia. Presently I'm practicing some segmentation - fun! I just did the rounding-off with a dremel in a clamp in a vise - sort of Rube Goldberg-like, but it seems to work.
                      Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by sheltiecarver
                        Thanks, Canadian
                        I was wondering if anyone was listening. (to that smaller part) Sounds like you have a pretty efficient set-up. I'll let everybody know if I have any luck with a smaller intarsia. Presently I'm practicing some segmentation - fun! I just did the rounding-off with a dremel in a clamp in a vise - sort of Rube Goldberg-like, but it seems to work.
                        Sandy
                        Rube rules ! he should have invented scrolling!
                        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X