X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jttheclockman
    replied
    Phil

I ran Norton again twice and it says there is a virus but it cannot get rid of it. I tried running in the safe mode but it won't launch. Yes you might be right about timer thing but I am worried about this virus thing. Is there something I can do about it. Also there are 5 adware threats but low risk threats. I tried the window washer thing also but that did not do it either. I would like to switch to cable but am afraid of security thing. I know you have to set-up firewalls but think that hackers can break them. Thanks.

PS If someone else can help please feel free to jump in here.
    Last edited by jttheclockman; 02-07-2005, 07:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GrayBeard Phil
    replied
    John:

I am going to stick my neck out here, and watch me get embarrassed by someone else who really has a good answer for you.

Not everything that happens is the fault of your computer's software, computer virus, or spyware. A lot can be blamed for it, but not all.

Below is some other things, not a full list mind you, but:

1. Static on the telephone line. Many causes here, but a lot of times, squirrels outside eat the casing on the telephone lines; the lines are then exposed to weather including rain and moisture. Modem calls hate static. A static burst can halt a connection. In my area, telephone company now claims standard phone line is for voice only. If you want digital data quality, you need to subscribe to one of their digital services like DSL, for the added cost you get digital line quality. ( catch 22 telco style: If you can call telephone repair, and get an answer, you don't need phone line repair.)

2. This site and your ISP (AOL) may have a timeout timer running, like my ISP does. If I don't hit the Preview Post button about every 10 minutes or so, I loose connection also. I think there is a login timeout somewhere that tries to log me out of a secure site if no activity is sensed, or shuts down the connection. It seems to happen to me when I copy my message from here to another program for spell checking editing and when I come back, my connection is lost.

Do you have to live with the problem? My suggestions are:

1. be sure to go to Microsoft web site and update your Windows OS. Accept all critical updates, and all hardware updates.

2. Call someone, and just listen for a few minutes without talking. Listen for the background static. It could be very loud. Try on rainy day, foggy morning, and dry bright sunny day. If you have trouble hearing any static, then the problem is not your phone lines. You may also have problems inside your own house with a wiring fault causing static.

3. Try refreshing the site where you have logged onto while composing messages with preview button.

4. Only if you can justify the cost, switch over to a cable modem and your cable TV company for internet. I don't know if AOL has an agreement with a vendor to offer DSL or ADSL lines like Earthlink and Sprint can. Don't waste your money on ISDN lines.

5. Petition Admin of this site to add spell checker and fess up to having a login timer against "no activity".

Hope this helps

Phil

PS. I just saw Ed's reply, I thought there was a update from Symantec against the Millennium edition that was part of the normal symantec update service. The Norton (symantec) anti-virus engine and virus database must both be updated at least weekly. Preferable with auto update on virus database. Anti-virus program (and database engine) do not automatically update. This must be done manually.

Leave a comment:

• Plain_Ol_Ed
    Guest replied
    Phil's a lot more current than I am, I reitred in 1993 and haven't really messed with time since, but, I seem to recall hearing someplace or other the Norton sometimes did something of that sort to millenium. Unless Phil has something, you could try turning the Norton off and see if that helps.

Leave a comment:

• jttheclockman
    replied
    computer question

I am going to throw this question out here because it looks like there are a few computer wizzes here. I am having a problem with loosing my web server in the middle of doing searches and sometimes when I am writing a post. I do not know all the terms but I have Norton anti virus installed, spy sweeper, Ad-Aware and do periodical checks with Norton running all the time. I have done the defrag thing, computer scan of the hard drive. I turned off all unneccesry things on start-up but have developed this problem. I have the Millenium edition and use AOL but go to the world wide web using MSN which has all my bookmarks. I just did a temperorary file cleanout to see if that solved the problem but no it did not. Is there a reason my computer locks up so much and I loose my internet connection???? Can this be remedied or do I have to live with it.????? Thanks for the replys..

Leave a comment:

• Plain_Ol_Ed
    Guest replied
    Phil - Don't know of anybody running it on the Mac, but should have been an easy port as the new Mac o/s is essentially Free BSD. Agree on the bulk of LInux users. I've used it for years, not because I have anything against Windows, it's just that my background was CPM, DOS, and UNIX so when it came time to go to a windows type environment, it was the easiest for me and it did everything I needed done. Whatever works, that's what I say.

Leave a comment:

• GrayBeard Phil
    replied
    Ed:

Thanks for in info on WinGIMP. I would not have believed it. Most Linux people are just SOooooooo snobbish about their anti-Bill Gates it comes off almost as a jihad fanaticism.

I did a google "groups" search on WinGimp and the earlier version seemed to have a lot of bugs reported which I think got addressed in the current version. The bugs reported were with Windows and the API (application program interface) to windows. This is not a problem with GIMP itself, just it's talking to the Windows operating system

I noticed that they have a version for the new Mac OS. Since the new Mac OS system is rumored to be very close to UNIX I wonder if anyone has tried to use GIMP on a MAC?

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Plain_Ol_Ed
    Guest replied
    The gimp is one of the few exceptions to the gnu linux only rule. Go to wingimp.org and they have a windows download version. Only problem is the size and the learning curve. Although simple stuff doesn't take too long. There are also free tutorials available as well as an online book. The price is certainly right.

Leave a comment:

• GrayBeard Phil
    replied
    John:

Corel Draw: Check out Ebay for old version, then buy Corel Draw Update version, could save 40% over full priced Corel Draw. Be aware that Corel draw manuals are some what lame, but CD disk 4 (? I think) is a training CD.
    Corel just let me "Update" from Micrografx Designer version 4.0 which came out during Windows 3.1 era prior to Windows 95.

I think I should start a new thread on Corel Draw and other advanced computer programs, as goobydosdad is still on a learning curve on his PSP. I truly wish him luck on beating that 60 day deadline.

Phil

PS: yes I have worked in IT and computers for many years. In all thoes years, I never was able to hold something I did, for which I was proud of, directly in my hand and to show it off to someone. Not counting a piece of paper, the desire to do something which you could hold in your hand just overwhelms a person after awhile.

Leave a comment:

• jttheclockman
    replied
    Phil

Nice job explaining and must say you sound very knowledgable about this topic. I gather you have a computer back ground. I can say what I was looking for was something simple to do some simple pattern alterations and designs. Nothing elaborate. I think I found what I was looking for in the Corel Draw program. There is a bit of a learning curve involved here but I am working on that. Someone also mentioned the list of cad software but I wrote him that was out of my relm and that it was used for designing furniture and cabinets and things of that nature. Thanks all for the replys.

Leave a comment:

• GrayBeard Phil
    replied
    If I can stick my oar in this conversation,

In reference to ANY computer program with the "GNU" in the title: it is almost a certainty that there is no windows version. It will be for Linux, or one of the other BSD (Berkley Software Development) releases of UNIX like operating systems (FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc.) By the way, GNU stands for "GNU Not Unix" which is pronounced "new, not UNIX". Also, it probably won't work on a Sun Microsystems Solaris networked UNIX environment.

Paint Shop Pro is now being posted at the Corel web site www.corel.com and since the Corel corporation is buying up smaller software companies, it can be presumed that Corel Draw is absorbing Paint Shop Pro. My guess is that PSP will be replacing Corel Photo-Paint in Corel Draw Graphics suite Version 13 or 14 (with a price change for PSP as a stand alone.)

There are three levels of graphic design programs for developing projects on a computer. Lowest level, and cheapest, is of course the paint and photo programs. What you cannot do is place a specific sized item, at a specific place, i.e.: a 1 13/16 inch hole at exactly 3.00 inches from the left, and 1.25 inches from top. At least not the ones I have seen and experimented with.

The middle ground is graphic designer programs like Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator. Huge controls for color, pen width, and so forth. Rich Hutchenson of http://www.scrollsaws.com/ claims to use Corel Draw. My choice for just getting a good feel for accurate sizing, placement, and graphics like font work on a sign. Not as accrate, nor intended to be a replacement for, drafting programs. Google search for Graphics Programs for shareware versions.

The top end, but not in price, is computer aided drafting (CAD) programs. You must know drafting 1st, then comes the learning curve for the specific program. CAD programs requires, almost demands, classroom teaching. AutoCad, ACAD, CADopia (http://www.cadopia.com/) are some examples. Don't get hung up on 3D, for most of our scroll saw work we deal with 2 dimensions like a piece of paper. Of course, CAD programs are very accurate, and very demanding to learn. Some require you have plotting printing, or laserjet printing so output is accurate.

There is another class of computer software, CAM or computer aided Manufacturing. http://www.mastercam.com/ sells several programs for industry. They have a MasterCAM Design, which is a 2D drafting program. However, their main program they sell is for developing "Tool Paths" programs which instructs automatic machines how to cut a part from raw stock. They used to have several pages on the web site for woodworking factories to control CNC routers, and such. High production rate factories use class of software. But MasterCAM design is a very powerful drafting tool, with very well writen manual, and is not overly expensive compared to AutoCAD. Lacks export filters to many web sharing standard formats.

With all that said, the real test is COST and YOUR LEARNING CURVE. If you buy an $800.00 progam, but it is too complex for you to use it, it is a true waste. On the other hand, if you still remimber your Drafting classes from school, then maybe an EBay copy of CADopia might work. However, after you design something, wiil you be shareing it? Note that earlier versions CADopia may not have filters to export to *.jpg files, but Corel draw does.

Again, sorry for the long post.

Phil
    Last edited by GrayBeard Phil; 02-06-2005, 07:49 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar, complete post

Leave a comment:

• goobydoosdad
    replied
    Yes, Canadian is correct about PSP. I have downloaded the trial version and it has all the "bells and whistles". As Canadian has said, PSP is very powerful and requires some "orientation" to it's capabilities. I am following a tutorial specifically for making patterns and, for the most part, the difficulty is not in the actual "doing" as it is in learning what does what and where certain options are located. I am a complete green horn, when it comes to "programs" on the computer. When I am convinced this will do what I need it to do, I will invest in a non-trial download and learn it, to a better capability. As long as it does the patterns as I need them to be, I will continue. I have not checked to see what else it does but, I also suggest for those who are in the least bit interested to download the 60 day trial. I thought 60 days was plenty, but, I think I am gonna need 61 days, if you know what I mean . I am doing well so far, but as I hit a "bump", I have to consult those who are more "in the know" and get things straightened out. It's more like 2 steps forward, then one step back. As I work with the PSP program more and more, it seems more like fun than it did when I started.

Leave a comment:

• Back2Jake
    replied
    Originally posted by jttheclockman
    OK I have been reading and following the posts on the Paint Shop Pro 7-8-9 and its use for portraits. My question is can this program or any other program be used to make clock designs and scrolling designs for other things than portraits. Can they make basic geometric shapes and curves and things. If not is there a program?? How much are we talking about for these programs and where can one get them???? Thanks for the responses.
    Yes the JASC Paint Shop Pro is a program you can use to design OTHER things on, including your clocks and text patterns. The program is a drawing and photo editing program allowing for various uses. Drawing aids include a grid which you can scale according to your particular needs, and layering which are beneficial for planning.

I recommend you download the trial version that is free from www.jasc.com and try it for yourself, applying it how you want to. A word of caution here, the program is very powerful and does require some time to learn. The program has a tutorial and help index on the trial version and if you purchase the program, it comes it a great user guide so there is no need for purchasing a manual to learn the program.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Forester21
    replied
    I know in "Word" I can add simple line drawings of hearts, circles, ovals, stars....

What I can't do is draw a tear drop shape and manipulate it. I'm looking for a simple program that will let me do things like that. I took a look at the website listed, and was overwelmed!!
    T

Leave a comment:

• Plain_Ol_Ed
    Guest replied
    I did a little snooping around and here's another site

wingimp.org

gives a pretty good look at the gimp. Has a couple three really neat screenshots. The pictures are a lot more invovled than what I think you had in mind, but will give you an idea of the capabilities of the program. They also show some of the toolbars and menus.

Leave a comment:

• Plain_Ol_Ed
    Guest replied
    Don't know precisely what you are looking for, but if you are familiar with photo-shop there is a FREE program called GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) with about the same capabilities. It's super powerful with a steep learning curve if you are going to use it's full capabilities (it's also pretty large). If you just want to do simple stuff, it's not too bad. It will do rectangles and circles with built in functions and you can free hand other shapes. Once you have a shape you can save it or repeat it again and again etc. You can resize them and do all kinds of manipulations. You can download it, but like I said it's big. There is probably someplace to get a cd (try cheapbytes.com they may have it). To get a look at it or download it go to

gimp.org

They also have books (not free) and free tutorials.

I can't vouch for the windows version, but the linux version works flawlessly.
    Last edited by ; 02-02-2005, 06:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
    Reply to Frustrated
    by NC Scroller
    I am guessing that your clamps have probably spread due to usage. I am not aware of any aftermarket clamps that fit your saw. Did you look at ereplacementparts.com to see if they sell clamps for your model? Sorry I could not be of more help.
    Today, 11:24 AM
  • Daddy's scroller
    Reply to Frustrated
    by Daddy's scroller
    I have a craftsman saw. The blade just slips out.
    Yesterday, 07:00 PM
  • Daddy's scroller
    Reply to Frustrated
    by Daddy's scroller
    No. I haven't tried that yet...
    Yesterday, 06:55 PM
  • Chance13
    Reply to Frustrated
    by Chance13
    I put those on my 20" Dewalt a couple years ago. Big improvement from the one Dewalt had....
    Yesterday, 11:08 AM
  • Rolf
    Reply to Frustrated
    by Rolf
    We need to know what saw you are using, as they have different clamps.
    Yesterday, 07:59 AM
Working...
X